Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
AnotherFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Calzaghes best win?

Personally I rate his win over Eubank as his best by far. While Eubank was not at his absolute peak I dont buy that he was so much past it that the victory can be written off.

Second comes against past prime but still dangerous ATG Hopkins.

I place the victory against Kessler as number three. Kessler is a good fighter, but nowhere near to be great.

The win against Lacy was no big deal, since Lacy was a lot of hype. But can be worth to be mentioned since many fans expected tough and strong Lacy to manhandle the slapping wimp. Then reality caught up when JC made a go for it ...

Any thoughts? (I did not ad a poll since I am curious in peoples analyzes, not just their opinions)
AnotherFan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
PugilisticPower
The Blonde Batman
ESB Addict

vCash: 108
Default Re: Calzaghes best win?

Hopkins has to be first, he was ranked in the top 4 of the P4P rankings at the time Calzaghe beat him. He has since shown how good he is by dominating the then undisputed Middleweight champion as well as beating the LHW champion to regain his crown.

Kessler is second, an undefeated unified champion who since regained his title against Froch who was another undefeated champion (with wins over people like Pascal and Taylor)

Eubank, third
Reid, fourth - in my view, Reid beat Ottke and should have gone into the Calzaghe fight as WBC champion,
Lacy, fifth - just for the fact that Calzaghe was a heavy underdog and the perception of Lacy was that he would just devestate Calzaghe, Lacy was also a young undefeated champ

Then you've got a cluster of guys like Mitchell, Woodhall, Jones Jr, Bika who are all around about the same into his top 10 wins.
PugilisticPower is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
Murali
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1059

I agree that the Hopkins and Kessler wins are Joe's two best - in that order.

But I would have the Mitchell fight in third place, just ahead of Eubank. Joe faced serious adversity in that fight, climbing off the canvas to stop his opponent in the very same round.
Murali is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
AnotherFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugilisticPower View Post
Hopkins has to be first, he was ranked in the top 4 of the P4P rankings at the time Calzaghe beat him. He has since shown how good he is by dominating the then undisputed Middleweight champion as well as beating the LHW champion to regain his crown.

Kessler is second, an undefeated unified champion who since regained his title against Froch who was another undefeated champion (with wins over people like Pascal and Taylor)

Eubank, third
Reid, fourth - in my view, Reid beat Ottke and should have gone into the Calzaghe fight as WBC champion,
Lacy, fifth - just for the fact that Calzaghe was a heavy underdog and the perception of Lacy was that he would just devestate Calzaghe, Lacy was also a young undefeated champ

Then you've got a cluster of guys like Mitchell, Woodhall, Jones Jr, Bika who are all around about the same into his top 10 wins.
The fight against Jones Jr was a chapter in itself. I consider it to be a cherry pick. But then again, loads of top level boxers and sports journalists predicted Joe to lose. So obviously it proved something after all
AnotherFan is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
hennyguzzla
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Manfredo Jr.... Sike! Kessler, Eubank, Lacy (young, strong, undefeated champion), Hopkins (looked horrible that night)...
hennyguzzla is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
JIM KELLY
Bullshyt Mr Han Man!
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

his cocaine addiction.
JIM KELLY is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
RobertV77
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugilisticPower View Post

Eubank, third

I would agree excepting for the fact that Hopkins earned the decision and Joe looked like complete dogshit in the fight. I rank Kessler as his best moment as it's one of the only fights Calzaghe participated in that I can stomach watching.
RobertV77 is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
PugilisticPower
The Blonde Batman
ESB Addict

vCash: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertV77 View Post
I would agree excepting for the fact that Hopkins earned the decision and Joe looked like complete dogshit in the fight. I rank Kessler as his best moment as it's one of the only fights Calzaghe participated in that I can stomach watching.
I agree Calzaghe looked like dogshit in the fight, but he smeared that dogshit all over Hopkins for 12 rounds - while Hopkins looked classier, he only did it in 4 rounds

115-112. Anyone who doesn't have that scorecard shouldn't judge boxing.
PugilisticPower is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru

not much to choose from is there?

If the highly disputed win over BHOP , questioned by an official judge , fans and pro boxers alike at 42 years old , in which he ran away from a rematch is the "best"

the it is what it is

a career that couldve been so much better . as is the common opinion
doylexxx is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
Kid Presentable
Facial Blocking
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1681

Eubank win cant be regarded as great due to the circumstances and no one with any knowledge on the matter could say a prime Eubank would have lost twice to Steve Collins.

id say Hopkins

but he won. He squeaked it ugly but he won.Even at 43 Hopkins was still dangerous even after two losses to Taylor he moved up and Dominated Tarver, afterwards he has had some ridiculous victories for his age. Everything Hopkins has done has made Joe look better for his win.

Lacy second. having seen Lacys fight with ancient Reid and Pemberton i wasnt massively impressed but he was a massive favourite going in. Even british boxing fans had him winning. Joe destroyed him maybe should have stopped him but he took Lacys soul

kessler i had on same boat as Joe sceptical over his massive undefeated record. good wins over Mundine and Andrade beyer clear victory didnt think too much of it after Kesslers fight with Ward. Then he beats Froch and is back in the picture and we can see what a great fighter he is against quality opposition.

cant pick between the rest but do think people overlook the Reid fight because of a lot of people who think Reid won(he probably didnt) it was close. but given Reids performance against Ottke not one to be overlooked
Kid Presentable is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #11
bronx
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1124

Kessler by far
bronx is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #12
Kid Presentable
Facial Blocking
ESB Senior Member

Harsh to say but you could make an easier list of his worst fights. God help him as Roger Mayweather said he punches like a wash lady.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #13
Kid Presentable
Facial Blocking
ESB Senior Member

Mario Veit in one round was surprising even in the mythical power punching days of Calzaghe
Old 10-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
bronx
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1124

The Hopkins fight was to close to be great the Lacy was huge too he was supposed to get iced and he ruined Jeff I saw that fight while suffering from food poison that week it was an amazing performance by Joe
bronx is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #15
Clinton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Kessler
Clinton is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum