Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #16
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5174
Default Re: Calzaghes best win?

I rate Kessler as #1. After that fight, Kessler went on to regain the championship and have a great career.

Hopkins was a shell of himself whose only notable victory since then is Pascal, who honestly isn't very good. Still, on Calzaghe's resume that's good enough for #2..

At the time of the Lacy victory, it was really huge. I have to give Joe credit, he whipped that boy's ass. Lacy turned out to be more hype than substance, but it is the only dominating performance Zags has over a notable fighter (at least one under the age of 40). #3.

Eubank was another old guy who accomplished next to nothing after fighting Calzaghe. #4.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #17
JASPER
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherFan View Post
The fight against Jones Jr was a chapter in itself. I consider it to be a cherry pick. But then again, loads of top level boxers and sports journalists predicted Joe to lose. So obviously it proved something after all
Who in the **** picked RJJ to win?

The only good win on Joe's record was Kessler. He lost to Bhop, RJJ was ready for the glue factory and Eubanks was not far behind (weight drained and only fought 2 more fights which he lost after that). I was glad to see him whip Lacy who was only a hype job and Reid was above average at best
JASPER is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #18
crimson
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

If BHop is his best win then that is not doing JC any favor.

Kessler in my opinion.
crimson is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #19
ocelot
Champion
East Side Guru

Hopkins, of course. History will forget Kessler and Lacy. Not Hopkins, who is still top-5 pfp, years later. Calzaghe out-smarted Hopkins. And no one had ever done that before.
ocelot is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #20
RobertV77
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugilisticPower View Post
I agree Calzaghe looked like dogshit in the fight, but he smeared that dogshit all over Hopkins for 12 rounds - while Hopkins looked classier, he only did it in 4 rounds

115-112. Anyone who doesn't have that scorecard shouldn't judge boxing.
I had it even and gave Joe every benefit of the doubt. I score like a certifiable genius compared to the average poster in this jungle. Hopkins looked less than stellar and I think he overlooked an opponent he should have outclassed.
RobertV77 is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #21
PugilisticPower
The Blonde Batman
ESB Addict

vCash: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertV77 View Post
I had it even and gave Joe every benefit of the doubt. I score like a certifiable genius compared to the average poster in this jungle. Hopkins looked less than stellar and I think he overlooked an opponent he should have outclassed.
Hopkins threw less than 35 punches in 8 of the 12 rounds. Calzaghe never threw less than 45 in any round and the round he threw 45 in, Hopkins threw a total of 16.

Connect percentages are a matter of debate, some don't count Calzaghe's punches because they're "slaps" but unfortunately for those some, they're not judges.

When you throw less than a punch every 6 seconds against a guy who throws a punch every 3 seconds with decent connection percentages, you'll lose the fight.

Exactly why he did lose the fight.
PugilisticPower is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #22
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hopkins
Abdullah is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 11:54 PM   #23
Phat_Ass_Dude
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Lacy or Kessler....HANDS DOWN!!! Both were young legitimate fighters. His win over Jones was kind of hard to watch especially for those of us who remember PRIME ROY JONES JR. The Hopkins fight was just plain ugly. People want to spend all day and night talking about Floyd's resume...Calzaghe's resume is sad, simply becuase there were so many quality fighter from 160-175lbs that could have made his resume so much better...assuming he's win, which many doubt.
Phat_Ass_Dude is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 02:07 AM   #24
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1132

B-Hop win for me.
BoppaZoo is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 02:26 AM   #25
p4pBute
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Lacy to me was #1,,,,lacy was never the same after that beatdown, if he never fought joe, he would be on several p4p list, never have ever seen joe so focused, he won every second of that fight, lacy life will end a few years earlier cause of joe, an that is sad, the fight should of been stopped around the 7th. If that was hopkins in there with joe that night, b-hop would retired that nite,,,,,
p4pBute is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 03:55 AM   #26
KERRIGAN
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 356

When he escaped from that Trans***ual looking hag of a girlfriend.(The one that was at the Lacy fight and other fights).
KERRIGAN is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 04:03 AM   #27
Ukansodoff
Only slightly camp
ESB Senior Member

Hopkins for me, it was by far his toughest fight, it was a very very close fight but even to edge it against Hopkins is a real result. And i dont give a shit what age Hopkins was or is, if your shot your shot, if your not your not and Hopkins wasnt then and still isnt now.

Jones Jr was shot so that victory doesnt even come close to being his best win. Eubank was up there too in one of his best wins. And even though we now know Lacy had been overhyped id say on the night it was a fantastic night for Calzaghe and Calzaghe fans.
Ukansodoff is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 04:17 AM   #28
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'd say Eubank was his best victory. It was his first shot at a title and he dominated Eubank, dropping him twice. Eubank may have been past prime but he was not anymore faded than the Hopkins Calzaghe fought and proved he was still very good by almost beating the much bigger Thompson at cruiser.

The Hopkins that Calzaghe faced was a better fighter than the Eubank Calzaghe faced but it's the manner of the victory that drops this win to being his 2nd best win. I had Calzaghe winning but many would disagree and this was not prime Hopkins but a Hopkins about 5 years past his best.

Kessler third. Well proven world class fighter but his loss to ward and close win against Froch shows the level he is at. He's very good but is simply not in the same calibre as Hopkins or Eubank.
Brighton bomber is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 04:19 AM   #29
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherFan View Post
Personally I rate his win over Eubank as his best by far. While Eubank was not at his absolute peak I dont buy that he was so much past it that the victory can be written off.

Second comes against past prime but still dangerous ATG Hopkins.

I place the victory against Kessler as number three. Kessler is a good fighter, but nowhere near to be great.

The win against Lacy was no big deal, since Lacy was a lot of hype. But can be worth to be mentioned since many fans expected tough and strong Lacy to manhandle the slapping wimp. Then reality caught up when JC made a go for it ...

Any thoughts? (I did not ad a poll since I am curious in peoples analyzes, not just their opinions)
Kessler.

Hopkins made Calzaghe's inaccurate punching look pretty amateurish, Joe C did not look good in that fight because it was clearly a contest of technique (with poor stamina due to age) vs raw workrate.

Kessler was a good win/performance. Nothing groundbreaking mind you, but a quality win.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 04:54 AM   #30
Big Left
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Prime Kessler
Hopkins
Lacy
Eubank
Reid