AnotherFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Calzaghes best win?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylexxx View Post
not much to choose from is there?

If the highly disputed win over BHOP , questioned by an official judge , fans and pro boxers alike at 42 years old , in which he ran away from a rematch is the "best"

the it is what it is

a career that couldve been so much better . as is the common opinion
By fighting who, then? Calzaghes real rival was Sven Ottke, and that fella did not take dangerous fights. Pretty much like a Bute of today.

Fighting Hopkins earlier? Great idea. Frank ****** says they tried to get it on, but Hopkins bailed out. Hopkins say whatever. Both lies as snake oil salesmen. So who should you believe?

Left is the question why Calzaghe did not move up in weight earlier and fought Roy Jones. His more dedicated fans claims that Roy Jones was already about to jump weights (never checked it myself) and did not really persue the fight himself.

Leaves the Calzaghe hater with what?
AnotherFan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #47
AnotherFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
Eubank win cant be regarded as great due to the circumstances and no one with any knowledge on the matter could say a prime Eubank would have lost twice to Steve Collins.
Feel free to school me on the subject.

Hopkins lost twice against Taylor but come back strong, except for the unavoidable loss against Calzaghe.

Look who Wlad lost to. Came back strong.

Lewis was KO'd by a tomatocan. Came back strong.

As I already said, Eubank was not peak when he fought Calzaghe. But was he old and shot enough for the victory to be written off?
Old 10-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #48
AnotherFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjoiner View Post
I rate Kessler as #1. After that fight, Kessler went on to regain the championship and have a great career.

Hopkins was a shell of himself whose only notable victory since then is Pascal, who honestly isn't very good. Still, on Calzaghe's resume that's good enough for #2..

At the time of the Lacy victory, it was really huge. I have to give Joe credit, he whipped that boy's ass. Lacy turned out to be more hype than substance, but it is the only dominating performance Zags has over a notable fighter (at least one under the age of 40). #3.

Eubank was another old guy who accomplished next to nothing after fighting Calzaghe. #4.
Fairly resonable post, apart from the fact that Eubank was 31. But he had started to slip up, so some fans like to believe he was shot.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #49
AnotherFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASPER View Post
Who in the **** picked RJJ to win?
Here comes some quotes. Enjoy.

Bernard Hopkins:

“Jones by unanimous decision based on his speed and power.”

Glen Johnson:

“Roy Jones will win. I believe Calzaghe fights an amateur style. He throws a lot of slappy punches. Roy throws much more meaningful punches. In general, Calzaghe will throw more punches than Roy, but Roy’s will be harder hitting. Unless the judges are blind, they will see that the harder punches make Jones the winner. They should see that Roy Jones’ hard-hitting punches make the difference.”

Vernon Forrest - WBC welterweight champion:

“Roy Jones is still the best fighter in my era and still arguably one of the best fighters period. Roy with his speed can match Calzaghe, and he has power. So the power and speed is with Roy. Roy by decision.”

Paulie Malignaggi- Former IBF junior welterweight champion:

"It's a hard fight to pick. I thought Calzaghe at first because, but maybe he's too much for Roy right now. But based on what Joe just said about the three Brits beating the three Americans (Calzaghe-Jones, Hatton-Malignaggi, Haye-Barrett), I'm pulling Roy home.....Jones by decision."

Winky Wright:

“I think Roy is going to win. I think that his punches are going to be sharper than Calzaghe’s and I think that Roy is a harder puncher. I think it might go all 12 rounds, but if somebody gets stopped I think its Calzaghe late in the fight.”

Dan Rafael- ESPN.com

“Although Calzaghe is the favorite, I think Jones' style and speed -- he's still fast -- are going to give him problems. I think it will be a tough, close fight but I'm going with the upset special. I like Jones to pull it out on a close decision.”

Gordon Marino- Wall Street Journal

”Jones over Calzaghe. This is a fascinating fight. Jones is still quick and with his awkward style and dangerous punching power is able to freeze very active opponents like Calzaghe. I'm picking Jones by a decision.”

Tim Smith- New York Daily News

“Roy Jones has good power and I think that will offset the volume of punches that Calzaghe throws. Calzaghe has a good chin so I don't see him getting knocked out. I like Jones in a decision.”

Franklin McNeil- Newark Star Ledger
“On paper, Calzaghe should not have much difficulty getting by Jones. Calzaghe is a southpaw, and Jones has had his most difficult outings against non-orthodox fighters. And though each man has quite a few miles on his tires, Jones has logged a bit more. The physical edge goes to Calzaghe, but stylistically Jones’ constant movement could prove to be beneficial. If Jones can control the pace, make Calzaghe miss, score with counter shots and his stamina holds up, he will win. Jones wins by decision.”

Bobby Cassidy- Newsday
“I like Roy Jones in the 11th round TKO. Calzaghe does not have the power to keep Jones honest. I think by the second half of the fight Jones will be picking him a part. Calzaghe looked so good against Hopkins because Hopkins didn't have the firepower to slow him down. But Jones has both speed and power. In other fights, Calzaghe has been able to adjust to one of those assets; he won't be able to adjust to both, especially from a fighter like Jones.”
Old 10-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #50
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherFan View Post
Here comes some quotes. Enjoy.

Bernard Hopkins:

“Jones by unanimous decision based on his speed and power.”

Glen Johnson:

“Roy Jones will win. I believe Calzaghe fights an amateur style. He throws a lot of slappy punches. Roy throws much more meaningful punches. In general, Calzaghe will throw more punches than Roy, but Roy’s will be harder hitting. Unless the judges are blind, they will see that the harder punches make Jones the winner. They should see that Roy Jones’ hard-hitting punches make the difference.”

Vernon Forrest - WBC welterweight champion:

“Roy Jones is still the best fighter in my era and still arguably one of the best fighters period. Roy with his speed can match Calzaghe, and he has power. So the power and speed is with Roy. Roy by decision.”

Paulie Malignaggi- Former IBF junior welterweight champion:

"It's a hard fight to pick. I thought Calzaghe at first because, but maybe he's too much for Roy right now. But based on what Joe just said about the three Brits beating the three Americans (Calzaghe-Jones, Hatton-Malignaggi, Haye-Barrett), I'm pulling Roy home.....Jones by decision."

Winky Wright:

“I think Roy is going to win. I think that his punches are going to be sharper than Calzaghe’s and I think that Roy is a harder puncher. I think it might go all 12 rounds, but if somebody gets stopped I think its Calzaghe late in the fight.”

Dan Rafael- ESPN.com

“Although Calzaghe is the favorite, I think Jones' style and speed -- he's still fast -- are going to give him problems. I think it will be a tough, close fight but I'm going with the upset special. I like Jones to pull it out on a close decision.”

Gordon Marino- Wall Street Journal

”Jones over Calzaghe. This is a fascinating fight. Jones is still quick and with his awkward style and dangerous punching power is able to freeze very active opponents like Calzaghe. I'm picking Jones by a decision.”

Tim Smith- New York Daily News

“Roy Jones has good power and I think that will offset the volume of punches that Calzaghe throws. Calzaghe has a good chin so I don't see him getting knocked out. I like Jones in a decision.”

Franklin McNeil- Newark Star Ledger
“On paper, Calzaghe should not have much difficulty getting by Jones. Calzaghe is a southpaw, and Jones has had his most difficult outings against non-orthodox fighters. And though each man has quite a few miles on his tires, Jones has logged a bit more. The physical edge goes to Calzaghe, but stylistically Jones’ constant movement could prove to be beneficial. If Jones can control the pace, make Calzaghe miss, score with counter shots and his stamina holds up, he will win. Jones wins by decision.”

Bobby Cassidy- Newsday
“I like Roy Jones in the 11th round TKO. Calzaghe does not have the power to keep Jones honest. I think by the second half of the fight Jones will be picking him a part. Calzaghe looked so good against Hopkins because Hopkins didn't have the firepower to slow him down. But Jones has both speed and power. In other fights, Calzaghe has been able to adjust to one of those assets; he won't be able to adjust to both, especially from a fighter like Jones.”
If you're in the mood for quotes, why not quote Joe Calzaghe himself?

From Joe's own autobiography, published in 2007:

"I have no interest any more in Roy Jones and no interest in Antonio Tarver. Jones is washed up and Tarver was never that good anyway, he just caught Jones when Jones was shot and Johnson did the same."

Ouch.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #51
AnotherFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
If you're in the mood for quotes, why not quote Joe Calzaghe himself?

From Joe's own autobiography, published in 2007:

"I have no interest any more in Roy Jones and no interest in Antonio Tarver. Jones is washed up and Tarver was never that good anyway, he just caught Jones when Jones was shot and Johnson did the same."

Ouch.
Fella, you preach for someone who already believes. I know the Roy Jones fight was a cherry pick. But why did so many people believe Jones would nick it?
Old 10-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #52
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Fella, you preach for someone who already believes. I know the Roy Jones fight was a cherry pick. But why did so many people believe Jones would nick it?
You shouldn't place any stock in the predictions of people within boxing. The boxing community is absolutely rife with biases, likes, dislikes, beefs, agendas, personal interests, favours, blah blah blah. Who cares what Paulie Maligfaggot thought about the fight when the evidence in reality was that Jones hadn't won a fight against a top 10 ranked opponent for FIVE YEARS before facing Joe C!
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #53
AnotherFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
You shouldn't place any stock in the predictions of people within boxing. The boxing community is absolutely rife with biases, likes, dislikes, beefs, agendas, personal interests, favours, blah blah blah. Who cares what Paulie Maligfaggot thought about the fight when the evidence in reality was that Jones hadn't won a fight against a top 10 ranked opponent for FIVE YEARS before facing Joe C!
I think I have to say thats fair enough
Old 10-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #54
HEADBANGER
TEAM ELITE GENERAL
East Side Guru

Quote:

because everyone knew jones was losing fights because of his disgracefull chin but this fight came around after jones had fully adjusted back to being a light heavyweight. people thought jones had a great chance v calzaghe because

- they knew calzaghe's constant hand trouble that meant he could get no power into his shots meaning that jones disgracefull glass jaw wouldn't cost him the fight, they knew that this match up was purely a match up of skills

- they knew that calzaghe had announced that this would be his last fight due to motivational problems and cutting corners in the gym

- they knew that this was only calzaghe's 2nd fight at light heavyweight

- they knew that roy jones had home advantage with american officials

thats why they picked roy but guess what, roy got ****ing lacy'ied

the gulf in class between the 2 fighters was ****ing HUGE
HEADBANGER is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #55
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
By fighting who, then? Calzaghes real rival was Sven Ottke, and that fella did not take dangerous fights. Pretty much like a Bute of today.

Fighting Hopkins earlier? Great idea. Frank ****** says they tried to get it on, but Hopkins bailed out. Hopkins say whatever. Both lies as snake oil salesmen. So who should you believe?

Left is the question why Calzaghe did not move up in weight earlier and fought Roy Jones. His more dedicated fans claims that Roy Jones was already about to jump weights (never checked it myself) and did not really persue the fight himself.

Leaves the Calzaghe hater with what?

The big thing here is that Joe never went over and persued a big fight

Hops did Jones did, they all did except for Joe

what gives

perhaps he wouldnt get the ridiculous stoppages he was used to some place else ?
doylexxx is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #56
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru

Frank ****** never controls big US TV dates as the main promotor thats why the whole "bring Bhop to Wales" was such a farce

Joe wasnt earning a million a fight back then but supposedly offered Bhop 6 mil

and Bhop was a King fighter , and even big Don said you could fire a cannon in the area of a Hopkins fight and not hit amybody

this was always horseshit
doylexxx is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #57
HEADBANGER
TEAM ELITE GENERAL
East Side Guru

Quote:
Frank ****** never controls big US TV dates as the main promotor thats why the whole "bring Bhop to Wales" was such a farce

and Bhop was a King fighter , and even big Don said you could fire a cannon in the area of a Hopkins fight and not hit amybody

b-hop was offered $3m

it was bhop who demanded $6m

the venue was america not wales
HEADBANGER is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #58
AnotherFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
The big thing here is that Joe never went over and persued a big fight

Hops did Jones did, they all did except for Joe
Good, but not convincing. It hardly seems like Joe chased a fight against Jones when he was prime. We dont know for sure about Hopkins. But it seems to go both ways. Jones or Hopkins did not call Calzaghe out, and did little else to make the fight happened.

You might think that it was the duty of Joe to get his arse over to America. But simply stating that Joe was a Eurobum that defeated other Eurobums wont do in a real debate. Joe held a title, was a huge draw in UK which is a very profitable market, and slapped the shit out of every American fighter that he got in on with. Lacy was declared hype after Joe was done with him, same with Manfredo. But they where profile names at the time.

Quote:
perhaps he wouldnt get the ridiculous stoppages he was used to some place else ?
I know there are a couple of stoppages that looks real silly. But in those cases Joe had pretty much shut those fighters down beforehand. I think it is pretty irrelevant considering the topic.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #59
AnotherFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Was the supposed venue Wales? Thats news for me

Calzaghe team never offered Hopkins 6 millions. Your informations about Calzaghes earning seems a bit off as well.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #60
Auracle21
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 14814

he beat alotta euro trash who wouldnt have done much in the global scene. he has very few top wins to be honest. not much to choose from.
Auracle21 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum