Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: LMW contest between Floyd & Maravila next year...
Floyd KO/TKO 2 3.17%
Floyd Points 42 66.67%
Martinez KO/TKO 12 19.05%
Martinez Points 7 11.11%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2011, 05:12 AM   #1
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Spring 2012, 154lbs, Floyd MAYWEATHER vs Sergio MARTINEZ - who would win & why?

Floyd Mayweather
Weight approx: 150lbs (judging by fightnight weight from previous fight)
Height: 5ft 8in
Reach: 72in

Sergio Martinez
Weight approx: 165lbs (judging by fightnight weight from previous fight)
Height: 5ft 10in
Reach: 75in

How would this fight go?
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #2
el mosquito
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 112
Default Re: Spring 2012, 154lbs, Floyd MAYWEATHER vs Sergio MARTINEZ - who would win & why?

Floyd would be troubled by Martinez's southpaw stance and his size would remind Floyd of Dela Hoya. Floyd would have to fight life and death to win. He'd have to use all his skills and since he has no power to stop Martinez, the best case scenario for floyd is to win a split decision or a close UD. He'd also have to fight like a fruit, the way he fought Dela Hoya.

I sincerely think that Pacquiao has a better chances on Martinez than Floyd's chances. Pacquiao knows how to deal with lefties. he is fast enough to pepper "hands down" Martinez's face and has greater firepower compared to floyd to keep Martinez at bay and to hurt him. Sergio's pretty face is very open and would be a great target for the faster Pacquiao.

While Mayweather has the overall better defense, Pac's defense which relies on movement would be more suited to avoid Martinez' punches. Pacquiao still has his legs and has proved that he is well versed at defending and avoiding punches coming from taller opponents. Floyd on the other hand has trouble keeping bigger and taller opponents off him.

But still, the only thing which favors martinez is his size. His skills are overrated IMO as well as his lucky punch which landed on PWill. I'd favor both Pacquiao and Floyd over Martinez.
el mosquito is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 05:29 AM   #3
Bladegunner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Spring 2012, 154lbs, Floyd MAYWEATHER vs Sergio MARTINEZ - who would win & why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
Floyd Mayweather
Weight approx: 150lbs (judging by fightnight weight from previous fight)
Height: 5ft 8in
Reach: 72in

Sergio Martinez
Weight approx: 165lbs (judging by fightnight weight from previous fight)
Height: 5ft 10in
Reach: 75in

How would this fight go?
Floyd would get knocked out. But credit for taking the fight.
Bladegunner is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2011, 05:32 AM   #4
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladegunner View Post
Floyd would get knocked out. But credit for taking the fight.
Why are you crediting someone for something which hasn't happened??

Anyway, you didn't see anything in the Barker fight that makes you think Floyd could cope with Martinez?

Think just how much better Floyd is than Barker. They are worlds apart. And Floyd has already coped well with guys over 160lbs in the ring such as Oscar and Ortiz.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 05:36 AM   #5
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:

Anyway, you didn't see anything in the Barker fight that makes you think Floyd could cope with Martinez?

Think just how much better Floyd is than Barker. They are worlds apart. And Floyd has already coped well with guys over 160lbs in the ring such as Oscar and Ortiz.
Floyd may well be better than Barker but you have to factor in the height and weight advantage that Mayweather wont have over Sergio.

It would be a tough fight to win, I can't call it to be honest.
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
diamondDave
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2025

Floyd is more skilled but Martinez has an advantage over him on all of the physical aspects of the game including speed. This would be a horrible fight for PBF. A bigger, stronger, skilled, southpaw who is probably as fast as you are; and is really aggressive.

Martinez tko10 Mayweather
diamondDave is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 05:39 AM   #7
Bladegunner
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Well your thread is about Spring 2012, so I suggest you think it can happen. Therefore if i am to take your thread seriously I would take it like it has happened hence floyd gets credit for taking on such a tough challenge.

Barker is a 6 foot middleweight who came in with a shell like defence, he tried to cover up as much as he could and he still got knocked out while blocking sergio punches, goes to show how much power sergio has.

Floyd facing a big oscar or ortiz is nowhere near the level of the current sergio martinez.

Floyd gets knocked out in this one
Old 10-08-2011, 05:41 AM   #8
stevebhoy87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Firstly this is a real fascinating fight and one i hope come's off.

The key to the fight for me is can Martinez impose himself and hurt Mayweather early on. Martinez on the face of things seems to stylistically be very difficult for Floyd to overcome, Southpaw, longer reach, good jab, power and he's quick. If he can impose his game on Mayweather early I think he will take the win.

What i worry about for Martinez is the problem he had breaking Darren Barker defence down for large parts of their fight. Now Barker is of course much bigger than Mayweather but his defence not even close to the same league.

If martinez struggles to break Mayweather defence down early then i think he is in a world of trouble. Mayweather will continually find martinez with the right hand all fight, martinez is too open and hasn't ever faced anyone of Floyd speed and skill. What i see happening in that situation is Sergio workrate will drop, and Mayweather would take over the fight and start coming inside more, where i think floyd has the distinct advantage, he is a much better inside fighter than Martinez.

So like i say i think martinez needs to control the fight from early doors, put some hurt on Mayweather and make Mayweather wary of what's coming back when he countering with the right hand or looking to go inside.

At 154lb i slightly favour Mayweather at 160lb i'd go Martinez. i'd actually love to see Mayweather take this fight at middleweight. i think that is the one fight he could actually take which could give him a top level ATG victory outside of the Pac fight. A win at light middle against Martinez is still a top level win, the best of his career by a long way but that extra risk of doing it at middle would push it to an either higher rated win for me
stevebhoy87 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 05:44 AM   #9
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Well your thread is about Spring 2012, so I suggest you think it can happen. Therefore if i am to take your thread seriously I would take it like it has happened hence floyd gets credit for taking on such a tough challenge.
I still don't see why you would credit someone for a hypothetical. Even if I think it could happen, it still hasn't happened and it's only my opinion anyway. What a strange fellow you are. Anyway...

Quote:
Barker is a 6 foot middleweight who came in with a shell like defence, he tried to cover up as much as he could and he still got knocked out while blocking sergio punches, goes to show how much power sergio has.

Floyd facing a big oscar or ortiz is nowhere near the level of the current sergio martinez.

Floyd gets knocked out in this one
I'm not so sure. Floyd is a much better technician than anyone Martinez has ever fought, if PBF could avoid the power shots I see him outboxing Sergio.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #10
Hook!
Proud member of team G.
ESB Addict

vCash: 889

i keep changing my mind but atm 7-5 floyd, martinez winning a lot of rounds on work rate because floyd will not want to stand toe to toe with a middle weight IMO
Hook! is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #11
Bladegunner
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I still don't see why you would credit someone for a hypothetical. Even if I think it could happen, it still hasn't happened and it's only my opinion anyway. What a strange fellow you are. Anyway...

I'm not so sure. Floyd is a much better technician than anyone Martinez has ever fought, if PBF could avoid the power shots I see him outboxing Sergio.
You're pretty weird, if the fight took place I would give floyd credit, what hard to understand.

If Berto took on Paul Williams, I would give berto credit. You see how it works.

Also a hypothetical is who wins Mayweather V Martinez? You state spring 2012, why would you need to state spring 2012 in a hypothetical?
Old 10-08-2011, 06:01 AM   #12
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
You're pretty weird, if the fight took place I would give floyd credit, what hard to understand.

If Berto took on Paul Williams, I would give berto credit. You see how it works.
Yes, that's the whole point. If the fights happened, you'd give the guys credit. But in a hypothetical discussion like this where the fights haven't happened, what's the point in giving people imaginary credit?? Bizarre.

Anyway, the more important issue is of course, I'm surprised you're not giving Floyd a chance here, knowing what a huge Floyd fan you are. I think the gap in technical ability between Floyd and Martinez would surprise you if they were ever in the ring together.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 06:03 AM   #13
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Also a hypothetical is who wins Mayweather V Martinez? You state spring 2012, why would you need to state spring 2012 in a hypothetical?
Because that's when I think the fight could happen, not when I think it did happen. Your brain really is a strange and fascinating place!
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 06:05 AM   #14
Bladegunner
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Because that's when I think the fight could happen, not when I think it did happen. Your brain really is a strange and fascinating place!
Please don't give me that you jump into my thread the other day when i brought news that martinez was fighting floyd in march or may and you just so happened to place SPRING 2012 in this spur of the moment hypothetical

Pull the other one. Floyd fights martinez next year in spring 2012 as your thread states, then yes floyd gets knocked out, but i give him credit for taking on such a dangerous challenge.

Deal with it.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:14 AM   #15
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Please don't give me that you jump into my thread the other day when i brought news that martinez was fighting floyd in march or may and you just so happened to place SPRING 2012 in this spur of the moment hypothetical

Pull the other one. Floyd fights martinez next year in spring 2012 as your thread states, then yes floyd gets knocked out, but i give him credit for taking on such a dangerous challenge.

Deal with it.
Next time I see a thread called "Felix Trinidad vs Shane Mosley, 2000", I will be sure to give Shane Mosley full credit for taking a fight that never happened. Or next time I see a thread called "Manny Pacquiao vs Joan Guzman next year - how would it go?" I will make sure I shower Guzman with credit for stepping up to face the p4p#1 in a fight which probably won't happen anyway.

You're right, fighters must be given full credit for taking part in fictional fights, we are haters if we don't give full imaginary acknowledgement for non-events.
Popkins is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum