Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: LMW contest between Floyd & Maravila next year...
Floyd KO/TKO 2 3.17%
Floyd Points 42 66.67%
Martinez KO/TKO 12 19.05%
Martinez Points 7 11.11%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #16
MannySteward
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 806
Default Re: Spring 2012, 154lbs, Floyd MAYWEATHER vs Sergio MARTINEZ - who would win & why?

Martinez is not a pressure fighter. This will be a boxing match and Floyd will win it handily.
MannySteward is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #17
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Spring 2012, 154lbs, Floyd MAYWEATHER vs Sergio MARTINEZ - who would win & why?

People on this forum just dont seem to get it man

Floyd dominates the fight IMO

Martinez is clearly slowing down , his output is significantly less than it was 3 / 4 years ago , size doesnt come into play with Mayweather , his ring craft and defensive techniques are so far advanced that he doesnt allow size into the equation , look at the history books , he's always been " THE SMALLER MAN " , this fight is absolutley no different .

Martinez is a MW , he's got an edge on other MW's thats partially similar to Floyds edge on fellow WW's , he's a bit smaller , has a high ring IQ , has enough power to be respected by the " BIGGER MAN " , and excellent hand speed / placement of punches

Martinez fighting Mayweather is the end of his career as a relevant P4P fighter IMHO , Mayweather will out work and out box Martinez every single round , Martinez has gaping holes in his defence , and the weight class / level he's been fighting at has allowed him to get away with it , Floyd will punish him , im not critisising Martinez for his level of opposition like most have , im saying the guys he's knocking over @160 dont compare to Floyd Mayweather , Martinez round about the time of Martinez Cintron was ready for a super fight (for me his prime condition) , right now i dont see him putting too much of an argument up against Mayweather @154 .
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #18
el mosquito
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 112

there is an in depth discussion of this fight and other things in this thread: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
el mosquito is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #19
el mosquito
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 112

there is an in depth discussion of this fight and other things in this thread:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
el mosquito is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #20
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by el mosquito View Post
there is an in depth discussion of this fight and other things in this thread:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Who is the woman in the photos in the most recent pics on that thread?
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 06:57 AM   #21
big_AL
P4P #1
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 825

[quote=el mosquito;10908150]
Floyd on the other hand has trouble keeping bigger and taller opponents off him.

what? floyd does well against taller men?
big_AL is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 06:58 AM   #22
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Mayweather is too fast & mobile for Martinez, who simply will not land enough on Mayweather to beat him... maybe a guy like Williams stylewise would be harder for Mayweather because he, like Martinez is bigger & stronger but will not try engage Floyd in a boxing match matching technique for technique, he would swarm him & be far busier.

Martinez is a technician & any change of style is not fighting at his own strengths & nobody is gonna beat Floyd when not being at their best & most effective... so... Martinez is gonna try outbox Mayweather & he is gonna drop more rounds than he wins while trying his, its really that simple.

Pacquiao is the hardest fight out there for Floyd & Floyd knows it, Floyd is the hardest fight out there for Pac & Pac knows it, any other fight is a disgrace at this point in time... man up bitches, your on your last legs with the majority of fans.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 07:02 AM   #23
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
Mayweather is too fast & mobile for Martinez, who simply will not land enough on Mayweather to beat him... maybe a guy like Williams stylewise would be harder for Mayweather because he, like Martinez is bigger & stronger but will not try engage Floyd in a boxing match matching technique for technique, he would swarm him & be far busier.

Martinez is a technician & any change of style is not fighting at his own strengths & nobody is gonna beat Floyd when not being at their best & most effective... so... Martinez is gonna try outbox Mayweather & he is gonna drop more rounds than he wins while trying his, its really that simple.

Pacquiao is the hardest fight out there for Floyd & Floyd knows it, Floyd is the hardest fight out there for Pac & Pac knows it, any other fight is a disgrace at this point in time... man up bitches, your on your last legs with the majority of fans.
Other than the usual rubbish trying to offset Floyd's glaring duckage, good post. I have also come to thinking that Floyd would beat Martinez, unless Maravila catches him with something big and knocks him out (which is eminently possible, mind you). I see Floyd simply being too good a technician for SM and earning a hard-fought decision, something in the 116-112 region.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #24
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
Other than the usual rubbish trying to offset Floyd's glaring duckage, good post. I have also come to thinking that Floyd would beat Martinez, unless Maravila catches him with something big and knocks him out (which is eminently possible, mind you). I see Floyd simply being too good a technician for SM and earning a hard-fought decision, something in the 116-112 region.
Yep 8-4 would be about my bet also
Old 10-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #25
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yep 8-4 would be about my bet also
Trying to fight Mayweather with your arms at your sides is insanity, because his straight right can connect flush in a nanosecond. Floyd doesn't have much power, especially vs someone of Martinez's size and strength, but he isn't Paulie Malignaggi, no-one is going to keep eating those right hands all night with no effect, the mere speed and technique of the punch will result in an impact which would gradually **** Martinez up, even if at first he shrugged it off. And you're right, then if Martinez starts to fight differently, he is out of his element and automatically becomes a lesser fighter who is also less sure of himself and his fight plan.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 07:34 AM   #26
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
Trying to fight Mayweather with your arms at your sides is insanity, because his straight right can connect flush in a nanosecond. Floyd doesn't have much power, especially vs someone of Martinez's size and strength, but he isn't Paulie Malignaggi, no-one is going to keep eating those right hands all night with no effect, the mere speed and technique of the punch will result in an impact which would gradually **** Martinez up, even if at first he shrugged it off. And you're right, then if Martinez starts to fight differently, he is out of his element and automatically becomes a lesser fighter who is also less sure of himself and his fight plan.
I agree, he is who he is & IMO that won`t be enough to beat Mayweather...

Ps. I just wish there was some sort of law that stopped fighters from earning until they face the fighters the fans wanted to see them fight... now THAT would be heaven
Old 10-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #27
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I agree, he is who he is & IMO that won`t be enough to beat Mayweather...

Ps. I just wish there was some sort of law that stopped fighters from earning until they face the fighters the fans wanted to see them fight... now THAT would be heaven
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #28
NorthernCross
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I really don't know. But if he takes this fight, it'd be the first Floyd fight I've ever bought.
NorthernCross is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #29
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Two myths:

1) Floyd doesn't punch hard.
2) Floyd will be knocked out.

Let me make a comparison with Hopkins another good defensive fighter he isn't the biggest puncher at his weight or any weight he fought at to be honest and despite many people claiming he "only" fought smaller men he kept ALL of his opponents honest. Not to mention Hopkins fought Pascal who is a BIG explosive puncher and even he couldn't K.O him and I don't think Bad Chad will do it either.

Some fighters just won't be K.O'd Mayweather is one of those time to accept it! He has had a longer career than most and you have to accept what your eyes see.

Also notice Hopkins doesn't have many K.O's of elite competition either, doesn't mean he is feather fisted either.

Some of you guys really have never been in a ring, Floyd has great timing and accuracy trust me his shots hurt ALOT!

No he isn't Pacquiao in terms of raw power, or a Berto swinging for the fences with every shot but he got more than enough (despite the weight disparity) to keep Martinez honest.
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #30
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
Two myths:

1) Floyd doesn't punch hard.
2) Floyd will be knocked out.

Let me make a comparison with Hopkins another good defensive fighter he isn't the biggest puncher at his weight or any weight he fought at to be honest and despite many people claiming he "only" fought smaller men he kept ALL of his opponents honest. Not to mention Hopkins fought Pascal who is a BIG explosive puncher and even he couldn't K.O him and I don't think Bad Chad will do it either.

Some fighters just won't be K.O'd Mayweather is one of those time to accept it! He has had a longer career than most and you have to accept what your eyes see.

Also notice Hopkins doesn't have many K.O's of elite competition either, doesn't mean he is feather fisted either.

Some of you guys really have never been in a ring, Floyd has great timing and accuracy trust me his shots hurt ALOT!

No he isn't Pacquiao in terms of raw power, or a Berto swinging for the fences with every shot but he got more than enough (despite the weight disparity) to keep Martinez honest.
Floyd could most definitely be knocked out by Martinez, that isn't an inconceivable scenario at all. I don't think it would happen, but it's eminently possible. An old, tired, toothless Mosley had Floyd rocking and rolling, but lacked the energy and the poise to go any further with it. Martinez is bigger, stronger, more powerful, more energetic, more relentless than the 2010 SSM, and if he connects he'll get the same result or better, and get further with the following stoppage attempt as well. It is very short-sighted to rule a KO out on the evidence of both mens' recent fights.
Popkins is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum