Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #46
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Miguel Cotto vs Pipino Cuevas, who would win and how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I1T2BOX View Post
No it doesnt take someone with extraordinary skills to beat Cotto but cuevas was short of ordinary, he was a power puncher without a jab/footwork/head movement or any claimable defense...he was C+ at best and to say he would toy with Miguel is laughable after the beatings he has taken...lay off the aztec pipe hermano, you aint fooling anybody.

Margo didnt have any of those qualities you mentioned neither, and look what happened when he fought Cotto..and dont bring up the plaster shit, because Cuevas sure as **** wouldnt need that here...im not saying he would toy with Cotto, he might give him a good fight, but as soon as that left hook lands, and believe me, IT WOULD ****ING LAND, then its lights out for Mr Cotto.

Edit: After viewing some of your posts in this thread, it is very clear that you are the one who needs to lay off your boricua pipe, Carnal. You ain't fooling no one.
Zopilote is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #47
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
OMFG!!! Margarito is 5'11 and walks around near 170!!!!
What are you saying? That Margarito hit harder than Cuevas?
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #48
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
OMFG!!! Margarito is 5'11 and walks around near 170!!!!
OMFG!! You're right. What a beast Margarito was. The most fear-inducing fighter to ever put on a pair of gloves!!!!!!!!!!!
JMP is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #49
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

A better debate would be whether or not Cotto could beat Colin Jones, who wasn't the fighter Cuevas was, but hit like a ton of bricks. I'm not so sure Cotto could even win that one and if he did, he would have to dig deeper and take harder shots than he did in any of his wins.

I1T2BOX: Cotto isn't beating Pipino Cuevas. It's pretty simple. One of the biggest WW punchers ever with solid durability against a smaller WW with unspectacular power, basic technical skills, and a not-so-sturdy beard. Let's stop this already. Cotto barely beat Joshua Clottey.
JMP is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #50
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

I'd favour Jones by KO. That one Cotto is at least capable of winning, though. Jones lacked the workrate that Cuevas did. Whereas Cuevas would simply overwhelm Cotto, Jones would take his time, likely losing rounds in the process. He was a sharper, more correct puncher than Cuevas, though, so it's likely that he'd pick his punches well enough to consistently hurt or spark Cotto at some point. He'd be behind on the cards at the time of the stoppage most likely.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #51
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

I like Cotto and all, but lets be serious here...It's very hard to favor Miguel in H2H match ups, especially at 147lbs.
Zopilote is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #52
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
I'd favour Jones by KO. That one Cotto is at least capable of winning, though. Jones lacked the workrate that Cuevas did. Whereas Cuevas would simply overwhelm Cotto, Jones would take his time, likely losing rounds in the process. He was a sharper, more correct puncher than Cuevas, though, so it's likely that he'd pick his punches well enough to consistently hurt or spark Cotto at some point. He'd be behind on the cards at the time of the stoppage most likely.
Good breakdown. I think Cotto, while likable as a fighter, is pretty overrated by a lot of fans. I've seen matchups on here with fighters like Chavez, Palomino, Benitez, Curry, Brown, etc. that have turned into debates. But I think he's honestly more or less on the level of somebody like Carr. He's kind of like Chad Dawson for me - a guy with good skills that looked better than they actually were because of the eras they fought in. They've benefited a lot by fighting in watered-down divisions.
JMP is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #53
JM22
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingKing View Post
Quitter!
Ricans.
JM22 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #54
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
Good breakdown. I think Cotto, while likable as a fighter, is pretty overrated by a lot of fans. I've seen matchups on here with fighters like Chavez, Palomino, Benitez, Curry, Brown, etc. that have turned into debates. But I think he's honestly more or less on the level of somebody like Carr. He's kind of like Chad Dawson for me - a guy who really benefited from being in a sub-par era.
Carr is a nice comparison. That would be a good, competitive fight.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #55
Ringnut
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
I do not believe anyone gets blown out fast. I've said before that Cotto's punch resistance was never a matter of inability to take big single shots. Ask Mosley. He gets hurt, sure, his chin isn't granite, but if it's not pretty fair, you don't go through Pinto, Bailey, Torres, Judah and Mosley and win against each if you can't take big shots and fight through them. Not unless you're a masterclass defender-which Cotto clearly isn't.

It's a matter of getting ground down with many shots. He tires, he becomes more vulnerable, as you do when fatigue sets in. It's more stamina than chin with him. Any world class athlete pretty much has to have stamina for long, intense physical activity, but having stamina while getting punched is unique to combat sports and, of course, Maverick rules midget bowling. A lot of fighters get misrepresented as having a shaky chin, when it's not quite how big a punch you can take but how many punches you can take or how long you go before the same punches you could take become potentiated by your lack of endurance. Cotto is like that, I think.

This is why, I figure Cotto is giving back plenty, perhaps beating Cuevas on the cards when the damage starts to take its toll and he wilts in the second half, in a hell of a fight. Cuevas by TKO within a couple rounds of Cotto flagging, probably between 10-12 or if it's a fifteen-rounder...okay, still between 10-12, probably. Cotto makes it a great fight though and there's a lot of give and take, Cotto will get hurt a few times before he finally can't recover well enough to stay in it.
So much sense in one post, and yet after reading all of it I'm left only with thoughts of Maverick rules midget bowling... strange.
Ringnut is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #56
KOTF
Bingooo
East Side Guru

vCash: 66874

Cotto matches up a lot better with a guy like Espada instead of Cuevas
KOTF is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #57
RealBoxing
Kill The Nonsense
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Come on now.

Cuevas in 7.
RealBoxing is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #58
I1T2BOX
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
What are you saying? That Margarito hit harder than Cuevas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zopilote View Post
Margo didnt have any of those qualities you mentioned neither, and look what happened when he fought Cotto..and dont bring up the plaster shit, because Cuevas sure as **** wouldnt need that here...im not saying he would toy with Cotto, he might give him a good fight, but as soon as that left hook lands, and believe me, IT WOULD ****ING LAND, then its lights out for Mr Cotto.

Edit: After viewing some of your posts in this thread, it is very clear that you are the one who needs to lay off your boricua pipe, Carnal. You ain't fooling no one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
OMFG!! You're right. What a beast Margarito was. The most fear-inducing fighter to ever put on a pair of gloves!!!!!!!!!!!

My point was that marg and cuevas are not comparable,marg may not hit as hard but cuevas doesnt have margs size/stamina/workrate/chin. Neither are boxing geniuses and thats were it ends.

This is a "prime" Cuevas

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue7XzybGNaY[/ame]

and again

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPPoPliaxiM&feature=related[/ame]

He is fighting the exact same way he did against Duran,he is feasting on this other guys who are standing in front of him trading. As soon as you put the jab on him he backs up and cant set up anything.Like I said earlier, Duran was not even committing to the jab the way cotto would and had an easy fight, but of course some of you will still argue that he was past prime after hearns KOed him...........wonder how he got the KO......lets take a look:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raa1mY44J0Q&feature=related[/ame]

(listen to hearns) Hearns neutralized him with the jab and before someone starts crying about the height and reach, watch Duran do the same thing.(already posted that vid)

Last edited by I1T2BOX; 10-10-2011 at 09:18 AM.
I1T2BOX is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #59
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Pipino wasn't comfortable giving ground sure...but I can't see Cotto doing that with any kind of consistency.
He will gain a fair bit of confidence when he is able to hit Cueves so easily but that will soon dissipate when Pipino doesn't go away and he begins to chop Miguel down.

Once Miguel goes into his "boxing" mode..the fight is as good as over. Love Miguel but he is so inefficient and quite often ineffective in that mode. Saps his energy with nervous, unnecessary movement and lacks the ringcraft to stay out of harms way..The way Cotto reacts when hurt doesn't help his case either...If you get buzzed in there either you stay out of range of Pipino's bombs or you stifle them with well executed clinching. And lets face it, Cotto ain't sensational at either..despite a big ticker, he has shown to make silly tactical choices when the stars are circling.

Cueves looks pretty shit in highlights..not his thing. Watch his fights all the way through you can see a far more craftier and cerebral fighter..Seeing the change in body language and demeanor in his opponents, even though it doesn't look like they are really taking crisp, clean shots..shows how scary this guy could be in his prime..He was permanently rearranging bone structures at his peak.

Miguel will get his licks in and take a few rounds...but I just can't see him getting up here...And I'm a huge Cotto fan if you didn't already know.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #60
I1T2BOX
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM22 View Post
Ricans.
I1T2BOX is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum