Yes 35 58.33%
No 25 41.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
cangryman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1454
Default Was Vargas green when he fought Trinidad?

Was watching the fight again today, and Vargas was never the same after that fight. Do you think Vargas was still green against Tito?
cangryman is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
LancsTerrible
Different Forms of Game.
ESB Addict

vCash: 2238
Default Re: Was Vargas green when he fought Trinidad?

No. He looked like the finished article against Wright, Quartey, Marquez, Campas etc. Could he have done with extra experience? Well he wasn't going to get the experience of fighting someone who hit like Trinidad anywhere else.
LancsTerrible is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
I1T2BOX
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I think he was...Tito himself told him. They rushed him, thats why Canelo is chillin on pillows right now.
I1T2BOX is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He was green, and it didn't help that Cheato Trinidad had to resort to low blows and illegal wraps to win. Cheato Trinidad ruined the careers of David Reid, Fernando Vargas, and William Joppy with those wraps.
RingKing is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
cangryman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I1T2BOX View Post
I think he was...Tito himself told him.

Thats something i didnt know. Thanks
Old 10-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
I1T2BOX
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingKing View Post
He was green, and it didn't help that Cheato Trinidad had to resort to low blows and illegal wraps to win. Cheato Trinidad ruined the careers of David Reid, Fernando Vargas, and William Joppy with those wraps.

Oye chapulin nadie llamo tu nombre a su defensa.
I1T2BOX is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
^ dice el hipócrita!
RingKing is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
cangryman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Old 10-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
I1T2BOX
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingKing View Post
^ dice el hipócrita!
Vallase a cortar grama es lo que tiene que hacer...

Back on topic, Vargas had a decent skill-set but was short of elite at that time...tho he would be a monster in today's WW and JrMW divissions.
I1T2BOX is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
Zaryu
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Well at the time it seemed like he was rushed and may have been too green. But just like Trinidad, Vargas was on a roll and the Vargas that fought Trinidad was the best Vargas we ever saw. Looking back I don't think he was green or rushed, he just couldn't beat Trinidad that night.
Zaryu is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
juanitoboxing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

After he beat Quartey, the next logical step was Trinidad. I mean Vargas was a beast and I dont think he was going to get better.
juanitoboxing is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

vCash: 1001

Well I mean.... its a yes and a no on that one.

Fact is, the numbers dont lie, he was what... 22 years old, and had around that number of fights. So lets say he was 22-0, and 22 years old. Theres no way thats NOT green...

Vargas was fighting Tito when he had only gone the distance two times that I can think of... again, theres no way thats not green.

A 22 year old with 22 fights is not the same as a fighter being brought along, and getting the biggest fight of his life when hes had 35 fights and is 26 years old.

However, on the flip side of that coin....

Vargas was wild outside of the ring, and with the way he lived his life, theres no telling that outside of the ring troubles wouldnt have brought him down or kept him from achieving his full potential, so I think that was a big part on why he was rushed so fast. On top of that, he was looking very good, and had just made the rings top 10 p4p lists (in 1999) and that fight was simply one of the best fights that could be made at that time, vargas being young and green, or not.

But being 22 years old with around the same number of fights, speaks for itself.

Not many fighters in the last 20 years have faced challenges like Wright, Ike, and Trinidad being that young, with as little fights as vargas had. Look around today at the prospects and 'young guns', and most arent fighting the monsters of their divisions....

Vargas could have done with 5 or so more fights, not really for the expeirence, its not just about whether vargas was going to get better as a fighter in terms of skill, but just to allowing his body to mature more, gain that strength and durability that comes a bit more as one grows into an adult body, rewatch the trinidad fight, vargas looks like a damn kid.

However, like I said, theres a chance he would have never progressed due to his lifestyle outside the ring, as it wound up taking its toll on him.
kirk is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
cangryman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaryu View Post
Well at the time it seemed like he was rushed and may have been too green. But just like Trinidad, Vargas was on a roll and the Vargas that fought Trinidad was the best Vargas we ever saw. Looking back I don't think he was green or rushed, he just couldn't beat Trinidad that night.
this was the best Vargas we saw, but that doesn't mean that that could have been the best Vargas possible, as we know he declined after the Tito fight.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #14
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post

Fact is, the numbers dont lie, he was what... 22 years old, and had around that number of fights. So lets say he was 22-0, and 22 years old. Theres no way thats NOT green...

Vargas was fighting Tito when he had only gone the distance two times that I can think of... again, theres no way thats not green.

A 22 year old with 22 fights is not the same as a fighter being brought along, and getting the biggest fight of his life when hes had 35 fights and is 26 years old.

Vargas was wild outside of the ring, and with the way he lived his life, theres no telling that outside of the ring troubles wouldnt have brought him down or kept him from achieving his full potential, so I think that was a big part on why he was rushed so fast. On top of that, he was looking very good, and had just made the rings top 10 p4p lists (in 1999) and that fight was simply one of the best fights that could be made at that time, vargas being young and green, or not.

But being 22 years old with around the same number of fights, speaks for itself.

Not many fighters in the last 20 years have faced challenges like Wright, Ike, and Trinidad being that young, with as little fights as vargas had. Look around today at the prospects and 'young guns', and most arent fighting the monsters of their divisions....

Vargas could have done with 5 or so more fights, not really for the expeirence, its not just about whether vargas was going to get better as a fighter in terms of skill, but just to allowing his body to mature more, gain that strength and durability that comes a bit more as one grows into an adult body, rewatch the trinidad fight, vargas looks like a damn kid.

However, like I said, theres a chance he would have never progressed due to his lifestyle outside the ring.
This ^^^

The Duvas made a calculated decision, Vargas was wild outside of the ring, so there was no garantee that he'd avoid Prison or worse, so they put him in the ring with the biggest name at the time, (also factor in the Mexico - PR rivalry) thinking that if he lost, he was young enough that they could re-build, if he went to prison then they had made a decent ammount of money (cashed out on Vargas basically) and if he'd beat a Prime undefeated Tito... Wow, Vargas would of been a superstar, maybe approaching the level of DLH.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
cangryman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post

However, like I said, theres a chance he would have never progressed due to his lifestyle outside the ring.
at 22 years old while being 20-0 and beating Marquez, Winky, Campas and Quartey, one would have thought he would have been an ATG for sure. Sad that it did not turn out that way

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum