Yes 35 58.33%
No 25 41.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #46
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

vCash: 1001
Default Re: Was Vargas green when he fought Trinidad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaki View Post
Vargas was not a smart fighter, not in the least.
Sure he was....

Vargas from campas, marquez, winky, ike, and trinidad fights may not have been an IQ based boxer like a Hopkins, but he was far from a dumb fighter.

Against Campas, he changed tactics and circled for most of the fight, setting up shots from mid range and allowing Campas to walk into his power.... he had Campas chasing shadows to the point where Campas gets frustrated and Vargas just smiles and points to his head.

Against Marquez, Vargas, for such a young fighter, shows damn good shot selection against a southpaw....

Against Ike, once again, he goes from usually being the bully, to being precociously (a term Lampley would actually eventually use to desribe vargas, not really a term used to describe a stupid fighter) patient, instead of challenging ikes jab, vargas uses his footwork to go around ikes jab and try to work around ikes shell guard.

Against Tito, lets just say.... when you are the younger, weaker, less powerful, slower fighter with less expierience, you dont make an ATG championship fight and bring Trinidad to the brink, while getting hit in the nutts four times in the process, lets also add a fighter that doesnt have a granite chin, by not being a somewhat skilled, smart fighter.

After Trinidad, Vargas fell off immensly in my eyes. He did become somewhat of a basic fighter.... and after tito, was pretty much wobbled in every consecutive fight afterwards (when pre tito, had hardly been hurt and never been down in his life, amature (over 100 fights I believe) or pro.

Anyone who is used to seeing the vargas post Trinidad, or even worse, post Hoya, I can understand saying that Vargas was not a smart fighter. But while he was young, he was far from dumb inside the ring if his emotions were under control, which in actuality, for as emotional as he was, most of the time they were.
kirk is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #47
san rafael
0.00% lemming
East Side VIP

vCash: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectermind View Post
Was Trinidad too green to fight an unbeaten Campas?? remember the result? i mean if Vargas was the better man he would have won.. Trinidad had more power at the end he was going to win anyways..
Nah. The fight was over in the first 20 or 30 seconds. Vargas demonstrated clear tactical superiority over Trinidad once he recomposed himself after the knockdowns. Trinidad resorted to repeated low blows to further weaken an already severely damaged Vargas. The wraps thing is a whole separate matter. To answer the question Vargas was too green as a pro for that moment.
san rafael is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #48
san rafael
0.00% lemming
East Side VIP

vCash: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaki View Post
Vargas was not a smart fighter, not in the least.
san rafael is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum