Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 0
Default Is it better for a boxer to be a little green or a little past his prime

What do you think or does it depend on the fighter?

Ex: Bernard
A little green B Hop vs Roy
or
A little past his prime B Hop vs Taylor

Ali of the Liston fight
or
Ali in Thrilla in Manilla
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Re: Is it better for a boxer to be a little green or a little past his prime

It completely depends on the fighter. There is no way of answering this question in a general sense.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Default Re: Is it better for a boxer to be a little green or a little past his prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It completely depends on the fighter. There is no way of answering this question in a general sense.
yeah I thought so
Old 10-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
FORMIDABLE
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 275

I think it depends on what type of fighter. Fighters like Tyson, RJJ who relied on explosiveness and physical abilities green versions would do better than a slightly past prime versions with their main assets faded.

For skilled, intelligent fighters like Hopkins I don't think it would effect them as much, and they'd likely have improved skillsets and the years of experience under their belt which they could use to negate what they've lost physically.
FORMIDABLE is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Depends on the opponent. In general, I'd say the latter.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Depends on the fighter that the boxer who is "a little green or a little past their prime" is fighting, and a really tough question to answer.

If he is fighting for the championship, I would have to say a "little green" (but then again, isn't everyone who is fighting for a championship a "little green?) since the champ may be older and past his prime. If he were already a champ, then I would say a little past his prime since he can use his experience and ring savvy to his advantage.
RingKing is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

vCash: 1852

Gonna be individual situations.

Green fighter is prolly gonna be better athletically, and the Past Prime version should have a massive gain in experience points.
pipe wrenched is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
bballchamp11
Poster of the Year
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

little past his prime already has a fully developed skill set with slightly declined physicality

little green doesn't know everything yet, but the physical gifts are all there

I rather have someone who is a master with firearms using a slightly cheaper gun covering my ass than a new guy with an expensive gun
bballchamp11 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingKing View Post
Depends on the fighter that the boxer who is "a little green or a little past their prime" is fighting, and a really tough question to answer.

If he is fighting for the championship, I would have to say a "little green" (but then again, isn't everyone who is fighting for a championship a "little green?) since the champ may be older and past his prime. If he were already a champ, then I would say a little past his prime since he can use his experience and ring savvy to his advantage.
yeah I guess a good example is

21 year old Mayweather vs Genaro Hernandez
Old 10-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Roy and B-Hop are the perfect examples

RJJ : Style tailored to athletic gifts which obviously decline with age, Roy will know more about boxing now, but he's not half the fighter he was in the James Toney fight.

Hopkins : The opposite, the man beats you with his mind, the older he gets the wiser he gets, asides from Toney, Hopkins is the last active Old School fighter.

Another thing to consider is how that persons prime went, to go back to Roy, the man has never adjusted his style, he still fights by relying on his reflexes, and it's doing him no good, if he'd had a scare in his prime, then he may of made a few subtle adjustments that would help him now.

Being to green can be a good thing, Vargas vs Trinidad, a more seasoned Pro would of eased off and boxed for 3 rounds after the blitzcream Tito laid out in the 1st, however Vargas, due to lacking experiance, went right after Tito, this gave him the best chance to win the fight. (although he didn't, he made a damn good go of it, if he'd sat back and boxed, he'd of just got picked off.)
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #11
Reppin501
The People's Champ
East Side Guru

I lean toward a little green, just because that implies they haven't reached their pinnacle yet, and at any time they could. Similar to the stage Jermain was at when BHop gave him his chance. I prefer someone trending up than someone trending down.
Reppin501 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
slugger3000
You Mad Bro?
East Side VIP

vCash: 9653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppin501 View Post
I lean toward a little green, just because that implies they haven't reached their pinnacle yet, and at any time they could. Similar to the stage Jermain was at when BHop gave him his chance. I prefer someone trending up than someone trending down.
B-hop really beat taylor twice!!
slugger3000 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #13
slugger3000
You Mad Bro?
East Side VIP

vCash: 9653

Quote:

When you refer to him, say Arthur Abrahams bitch not Jermain!
slugger3000 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #14
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Maybe like an Andre Ward compared to Kessler
Old 10-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #15
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Yep.
PetethePrince is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum