boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #16
Cleto

vCash: 500
Default Re: Where do recent announcements leave Sky Sports and its Boxing Coverage?!

Boxnation is bad for boxing. It's almost taking boxing behind closed doors. How are the general public and casual fans gonna learn about up and coming fights and potential stars etc if they don't subscribe??? You have to be a serious boxing fan to shell out 10 a month for this given the economic situation, I imagine a lot of people would be looking to trim their sky packages down, not add to it!!! For the same reasons if I was a pro boxer I'd leave FW at the earliest opportunity, it's career suicide, it's the general public and casual fans that buy tickets for shows. Fighters need as much exposure as possible to capture the publics imagination and ear a few quid and they simply won't get it on box nation.
Cleto is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #17
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where do recent announcements leave Sky Sports and its Boxing Coverage?!

No offence Cleto, I take your point about BoxNation closing the sport off to casual fans but for boxing fans 10 a month is ****** all. Less than the cost of a pint of lager a week.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #18
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
No offence Cleto, I take your point about BoxNation closing the sport off to casual fans but for boxing fans 10 a month is ****** all. Less than the cost of a pint of lager a week.
You sound like Frank at the Boxnation launch press conference
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #19
Cleto

Quote:
Yeah it's not a lot at all and I know the boxing fans would subscribe but there's just not enough of us nowadays, we need the casuals. Would the big boys of British boxing had the same sort of financial success Or fame had they been fighting on boxnation???
Cleto is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #20
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxing****yst View Post
You sound like Frank at the Boxnation launch press conference
Oh dear, he didn't say that as well did he?
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #21
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleto View Post
Yeah it's not a lot at all and I know the boxing fans would subscribe but there's just not enough of us nowadays, we need the casuals. Would the big boys of British boxing had the same sort of financial success Or fame had they been fighting on boxnation???
I agree with you on those issues mate, I was just pointing out that, as a boxing fan, spending a tenner a month on BoxNation is probably better value for money than spending 30 (or what ever it is) on Sky Sports.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #22
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Oh dear, he didn't say that as well did he?
He certainly did
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #23
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
are there any sports that you casually watch Gaz???
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #24
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I agree with you on those issues mate, I was just pointing out that, as a boxing fan, spending a tenner a month on BoxNation is probably better value for money than spending 30 (or what ever it is) on Sky Sports.
yes but how many boxing fans are there? certainly not the 5million box nation seem to think.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #25
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
yes but how many boxing fans are there? certainly not the 5million box nation seem to think.
Do I REALLY have to spell it out for the 3rd time in 3 posts Rob?

All I'm saying is that a tenner for BoxNation isn't a bad deal. Nothing else, nothing about how BoxNation will effect the profile of boxing, how successful BoxNation will be, just that a tenner isn't a bad deal for boxing fans.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #26
Jimi
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

How many subscribers do you think Boxnation have budgeted for? And how many do you actually think they'll get?
Jimi is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #27
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1419

I got rid of sky sports already, I watch the footy down the pub, and any other sports i can get via other means. Skyhave been ****ing me off anyway lately so Im seeing through my contract and going back to virgin.
chatty is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #28
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Do I REALLY have to spell it out for the 3rd time in 3 posts Rob?

All I'm saying is that a tenner for BoxNation isn't a bad deal. Nothing else, nothing about how BoxNation will effect the profile of boxing, how successful BoxNation will be, just that a tenner isn't a bad deal for boxing fans.
i agree but it will flop.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #29
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
are there any sports that you casually watch Gaz???
Other than boxing just football but 95% of that I watch down the pub. No way would Sky Sports be getting my money under the current situation.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #30
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
i agree but it will flop.
I don't know the figures but my gut feeling is that they will struggle to get enough subscribers to be able to secure a decent amount of the big American cards. The UK end will probably take care of itself for the time being though.
GazOC is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum