Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #31
Jimi
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Where do recent announcements leave Sky Sports and its Boxing Coverage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leforge View Post
They think they get over 100,000 I think 50000 would be a success.
I agree. I don't see many casuals picking this up especially given that the big events are still being spread about between 3 or 4 channels.
Jimi is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #32
Jimi
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Where do recent announcements leave Sky Sports and its Boxing Coverage?!

Quote:
Will boxers start to leave ******?
For the upcoming fighters then the prospect of regular fights will be attractive but the big names will want national exposure which can only be brought by Sky/ITV/BBC/5.
Jimi is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #33
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
I don't know the figures but my gut feeling is that they will struggle to get enough subscribers to be able to secure a decent amount of the big American cards. The UK end will probably take care of itself for the time being though.
He needs the Pacquiao and Mayweather fights to get subscribers. There the stars of boxing with Haye gone.

Khan, Mayweather and Pacquiao are the biggest names. Bigger than Froch right now. All 3 fight on Primetime.

If Box Nation are getting outbid for Manny Pacquiao already its a bad sign.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #34
leighton
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 650

Boxnation I cant see it being around longterm either. The big question you pay your 10 sub but knowing VVarren for any big World title fight he will whack on a PPV charge. Will the subscribers be happy to pay a extra 10 for the fight?
leighton is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #35
rooq
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Sky Sports will probably focus on domestic matchroom, maloney and hatton cards, with the hope that out of the three promotional outfits eventually a new PPV star will appear.

i've left Sky Sports personally. I used to watch the football as well, but dont really get the time anymore cos of the two young kids. i'll probably rejoin in a couple of years.

i'll almost definitely sign up for boxnation when it becomes subscription only. after all, its less than the price of a chicken tikka kebab a week.
rooq is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #36
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I said a few months back that they will eventually leave Frank for Matchroom, especially his prospects who are so inactive and need to build a fanbase, i believe it even more so now that Boxnation has started, it will flop no doubt.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #37
Thomas!!

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammers571 View Post
Just wondered how people felt with recent annoucements (****** to Boxnation, Pacman v JMM on Primetime & Cotto v Margarito on Boxnation) about Sky's Boxing coverage and Portfolio. How can Hearn, Maloney and Hatton provide enough shows to have boxing most Saturday nights? What are Sky's options?
Duno, why don't you ask your mate, he 'works' for Sky doesn't he?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #38
WalletInspector
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas!! View Post
Duno, why don't you ask your mate, he 'works' for Sky doesn't he?
Not to forget that Hammers was setting up his own channel a while back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
Oh dear, he didn't say that as well did he?
I think he's said it in every interview he's done on the subject.
WalletInspector is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #39
bam bam
Belt holder
ESB Addict

40,000 people paid 15 to watch Khan/Judah at 4am.Most of those are big boxing fans who I think will pay for Boxnation seeing as we will be getting 8 shows a month.Now of course they aint all massive fights but its still great value for money for boxing fans.
Its easy people sitting behind a keyboard saying its a fact that BoxNation will be gone in a year or whatever but our most successful promoter believes it can be a big success and hes took a big gamble on it.
I dont think they need 100k subs either,not yet anyway.They are being backed big by that zoom zompany,how else you think they have got together guys like Keys,Bunce,Rawling,Rosenthal,Dempsey plus can put all these fights on for free until December?
bam bam is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #40
RJJ's Jab
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1185

Quote:
*****y will learn there's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone against their will.
RJJ's Jab is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #41
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJ's Jab View Post
*****y will learn there's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone against their will.
(no pedo?)
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #42
sidthehat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam bam View Post
40,000 people paid 15 to watch Khan/Judah at 4am.Most of those are big boxing fans who I think will pay for Boxnation seeing as we will be getting 8 shows a month.Now of course they aint all massive fights but its still great value for money for boxing fans.
Its easy people sitting behind a keyboard saying its a fact that BoxNation will be gone in a year or whatever but our most successful promoter believes it can be a big success and hes took a big gamble on it.
I dont think they need 100k subs either,not yet anyway.They are being backed big by that zoom zompany,how else you think they have got together guys like Keys,Bunce,Rawling,Rosenthal,Dempsey plus can put all these fights on for free until December?
I compare buying ppv/signing to boxnation this to putting money in charity box at a pub or signing up to give money to a chugger. People are just resistant to signing up to something even if it is undoubtedly better value than splashing out a one-off 15 pounds for Mayweather/Haye.

You're right in a way. I think their company will give it 18 months but realistically what fights will give them the subs boost?
Groves-DeGale. Yes. After that no fights from ****** stable.

They desperately need Mayweather-Khan/Pacquiao and that would cost them so much it might eat into any boost they get.
sidthehat is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #43
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico
vCash: 75

half of those 8 shows will be amateur shows
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #44
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

the difference between primetime and box nation is that primetime is actually advertised.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #45
insider
Journeyman Opponent
ESB Jr Member

If Primetime, PremierSports and Boxnation offered one subscription that got you all 3 channels - would that sell well? Not sure how workable that would be but if we can have a coalition government surely anything is possible.
Back the coalition!!
insider is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum