Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #16
LancsTerrible
Different Forms of Game.
ESB Addict

vCash: 2238
Default Re: How good was Mosley @ LightWeight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckYOchin View Post
Say Mosely met Kostya on his way up to welter at that time.

How do you guys see that playing out??
Kostya wouldn't have been able to handle Mosley's physicality. Despite Kosyta brilliant timing and fundamentals, particularly the jab and right hand he wasn't too hard to hit really. The Mosley between 0 fight and Forrest 1 was a killer body puncher and he brake Kostya down for a stoppage.
LancsTerrible is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #17
Gander Tasco
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

He was a beast. Think of the WW Mosley but even faster and stronger at his weight.
Gander Tasco is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #18
LancsTerrible
Different Forms of Game.
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander Tasco View Post
He was a beast. Think of the WW Mosley but even faster and stronger at his weight.
Nah. Theres no way a lightweight Mosley is bullying a fighter as big as Margarito in the fashion he did at 147.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #19
sbbigmike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borincano View Post
Hmmm, I thought I bring this up. I remember the commentators stating that Mosley boasted that he was bench pressing 315 back then at LW. I think that would push you up a weight division.
Yeah that and undetecable steriods, and I don't want to hear he only roided for the 2nd Oscar fight, if anyone followed his career at lightweight it was clear that his power, speed and the body of a middleweight was completely natural.
sbbigmike is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #20
Sean Juan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckYOchin View Post
Say Mosely met Kostya on his way up to welter at that time.

How do you guys see that playing out??
Really tough fight to call IMO. Mosley at the time may have been a bit too much. He was in his prime at that point.

Tszyu was a tougher fight than anyone Mosley fought at LW though. Tough call.
Sean Juan is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #21
sbbigmike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Juan View Post
Really tough fight to call IMO. Mosley at the time may have been a bit too much. He was in his prime at that point.

Tszyu was a tougher fight than anyone Mosley fought at LW though. Tough call.
Tszyu was all wrong for Mosley even though he was great at lightweight, he displayed the same flaws that resulted in loses in most of his big fights, and also a string a shitty performances at 147 against c class opposition, he was just facing horrible competition at lower weights for them flaws to be exposed, if you have a jab/boxing skills and is able not be drawn into a brawl you'll beat Shane easily, things which Tsyzu was great at
Old 10-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #22
Gander Tasco
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancsTerrible View Post
Nah. Theres no way a lightweight Mosley is bullying a fighter as big as Margarito in the fashion he did at 147.
I mean he was stronger for his respective weight class. Margarito was tailor made for Shane.
Gander Tasco is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #23
LancsTerrible
Different Forms of Game.
ESB Addict

Quote:
I mean he was stronger for his respective weight class. Margarito was tailor made for Shane.
Misunderstood what you meant by stronger chief.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #24
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
I thought SSM in his earliest welterweight days was the peak version. He looked faster and stronger than he did when he was killing himself to hit 135.
JMP is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #25
kommieforniaglo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
No love for Shane at 135?

Shane is and will always be a boxing legend,

Shane a G
kommieforniaglo is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #26
LancsTerrible
Different Forms of Game.
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
I thought SSM in his earliest welterweight days was the peak version. He looked faster and stronger than he did when he was killing himself to hit 135.
He looked pretty poor against Rivera but Rivera made Whitaker look poor a few years prior. That welterweight period where he stuck with what worked well for himself rather than falling in love with his power and right hand, he was a whirlwind. I always thought with the right plan that he could have beaten Forrest but I'm always going to be in the minority there.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #27
sbbigmike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
He looked pretty poor against Rivera but Rivera made Whitaker look poor a few years prior. That welterweight period where he stuck with what worked well for himself rather than falling in love with his power and right hand, he was a whirlwind. I always thought with the right plan that he could have beaten Forrest but I'm always going to be in the minority there.
He definitely had the speed power and swarming style to beat and trouble Forrest but the steroid cheat didn't have the heart of a Mayorga
Old 10-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #28
LancsTerrible
Different Forms of Game.
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbigmike View Post
He definitely had the speed power and swarming style to beat and trouble Forrest but the steroid cheat didn't have the heart of a Mayorga
I thought his real problem was that he was too upright and straight on, couple with that range finder jab that he held out too much he ended up being a magnet for straight right hands and that deadly uppercut that ended the fight for him in the second round.

He didn't want to fight after that and I don't think Jack offered him anything in the aftermath of that knockdown.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #29
sbbigmike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I thought his real problem was that he was too upright and straight on, couple with that range finder jab that he held out too much he ended up being a magnet for straight right hands and that deadly uppercut that ended the fight for him in the second round.
Yup Yup, you are also forgetting about the headbutt, and how it probably stunned Mosley, and lead to the knock down

I'm still scratching my head on how Forrest dominates prime Mosley twice, then loses to Mayorga twice, just goes to show how over rated both Mosley and Forrest were
Old 10-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #30
LancsTerrible
Different Forms of Game.
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbigmike View Post
Yup Yup, you are also forgetting about the headbutt, and how it probably stunned Mosley, and lead to the knock down

I'm still scratching my head on how Forrest dominates prime Mosley twice, then loses to Mayorga twice, just goes to show how over rated both Mosley and Forrest were
Forrest was having problems with the shoulder at the time which more or less took the stiffness off of his jab, probably Vernon's most important punch along with the straight right.

Add to that Vernon's poor lateral movement and his tendency to back up in a straight line, once Mayorga charged him with his wind-milling power punches it was game over. It doesn't help either when you pelt a fighter with free punches and he just shrugs them off and calls you a bitch. Must sap some confidence.

In the second fight he made it much closer and probably should have walked away with the win. Compare it with how Spinks fought Mayorga and you see that Vernon wasn't this second coming off Thomas Hearns that some try to make him out to be.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum