Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 10-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
swilson120
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default peter manfredo jr

Can anybody explain why this guy seems to get so many chances to fight big names where other guys bang their heads against walls trying all career to get their one big chance and payday ? Surely not just the tv show ?
swilson120 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
Straight Shoota
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: peter manfredo jr

I think its because he can sell tickets,I know he has a massive name in his home town and has a name in the states/boxing world,even though he has had a few chances at glory,maybe because of the show,but then again u look at soliman or bika,they cant get a fight atm.
Straight Shoota is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 12:43 AM   #3
swilson120
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Chavez is ducking
swilson120 is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 01:39 AM   #4
buster007
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

tbh, i don't have a problem with how chavez has picked his opponents. they have been solid fighters, he has made great money, and he will be very prepared when fighting the best available in time.
he is still only 25yo, so no need to rush.

i don't see what manfredo has done wrong either. he has been going ok. no world beater, but handy efforts.
buster007 is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
AustraHungarian
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Manfredo is a very average fighter who usually makes for relatively entertaining fights against B and C level opposition. Further, he is one of the few guys in the States who actually puts bums on seats (particularly in the New England region) unlike people like Martinez, Berto, Dawson, Bradley, Willaims etc, etc, etc who are about as popular as a turd in a swimming pool! As Chavez Jr is roughly at the same level as Manfredo and both guys have names and sell tickets, I think you will see a fairly entertaining encounter played out before an appreciative audience! To be honest I do not understand some of the animosity towards this fight on some boards and sites! It presents better bang for buck than any fight Mayweather has been involved in!
AustraHungarian is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraHungarian View Post
Manfredo is a very average fighter who usually makes for relatively entertaining fights against B and C level opposition. Further, he is one of the few guys in the States who actually puts bums on seats (particularly in the New England region) unlike people like Martinez, Berto, Dawson, Bradley, Willaims etc, etc, etc who are about as popular as a turd in a swimming pool! As Chavez Jr is roughly at the same level as Manfredo and both guys have names and sell tickets, I think you will see a fairly entertaining encounter played out before an appreciative audience! To be honest I do not understand some of the animosity towards this fight on some boards and sites! It presents better bang for buck than any fight Mayweather has been involved in!
Spot on.

So true regarding the names that cant sell tickets in NY/New England area.

The only big east coast draw these days in boxing is Miguel Cotto, most of the other decent draws are all based out west mostly.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
AustraHungarian
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsy View Post
Spot on.

So true regarding the names that cant sell tickets in NY/New England area.

The only big east coast draw these days in boxing is Miguel Cotto, most of the other decent draws are all based out west mostly.
As a boxing fan it is actually quite depressing to watch these supposedly big fights play out before paltry crowds in empty arenas! Last night I was randomly sampling my Hitman Hearns DVD collection and I checked out his highly entertaining fight against little know Italian Luigi Mingillo which went down in Detroit before over 18,000 fans! The only fight in the US this year that would draw a crowd anywhere near that is Cotto v Margo 2! The whole boxing is dead argument really cunts me off but these piss poor crowds are a pretty compelling argument that the sport is doing it tough Stateside!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

Quote:
As a boxing fan it is actually quite depressing to watch these supposedly big fights play out before paltry crowds in empty arenas! Last night I was randomly sampling my Hitman Hearns DVD collection and I checked out his highly entertaining fight against little know Italian Luigi Mingillo which went down in Detroit before over 18,000 fans! The only fight in the US this year that would draw a crowd anywhere near that is Cotto v Margo 2! The whole boxing is dead argument really cunts me off but these piss poor crowds are a pretty compelling argument that the sport is doing it tough Stateside!
True that mate would have been electric atmosphere.
We can dream of those crowds today in the US.
Only major fights in the major markets (LA, NY or Vegas) break the 10,000 mark.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
AustraHungarian
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsy View Post
True that mate would have been electric atmosphere.
We can dream of those crowds today in the US.
Only major fights in the major markets (LA, NY or Vegas) break the 10,000 mark.
Agree! I'd also add Texas to the mix where clashes like Marquez v Diaz, the Pac fights at Cowboys Stadium and some Antonio Escalante fights in El Paso drew big numbers!
Old 10-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

Quote:
Agree! I'd also add Texas to the mix where clashes like Marquez v Diaz, the Pac fights at Cowboys Stadium and some Antonio Escalante fights in El Paso drew big numbers!
Yeah good call...i expect Chavez Jr. to draw quite the crowd in Texas.
Kegsy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum