Old 07-03-2007, 06:35 PM   #16
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd "Il Never look like Roy Jones"

Quote:
Originally Posted by drillmatic
yea he was quick with incredible reflexes but rjj does not have defense. his defense is his speed and his punching.
Contradiction.

But I will help you finish here, his defense was his offense. Roy had you stuck on stupid with the speed, accuracy, power, and unorthodoxy of his punching. He didnt need to worry about defense for most of his career.
acb is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #17
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Of course he's better than Roy. He's better than Ray Robinson, too, you know. He said so.

I hope Hatton lands a lucky punch, Floyd wakes up and promptly apologises.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #18
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
What? match his shitty opposition? yea he was quick with incredible reflexes but rjj does not have defense. his defense is his speed and his punching. what? he moved backwards a lot, straigh backwards then jumps away when he feels uncomfortable.

floyd can fight in the pocket and counterpunch unlike roy could ever do.
Shitty opposition? Hopkins, Toney, Hill, McCallum, Tarver, Woods, Gonzalez, Del Valle, Johnson, Ruiz, Griffin, Pazienza, Malinga, and Castro aren't shit opponents.

And so what if Roy didn't have the fundamentally sound defense and the shoulder roll of Mayweather. In his prime he was so fast and naturally gifted along with superhuman reflexes, that he was real hard to hit and got away with mistakes. It worked well for him and made him a future hall of famer, so more power to him.

What do you mean Roy Jones couldn't counterpunch? Watch the Toney fight and watch his quick, short counterpunches. That's a dumb comment.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #19
Biggame
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBF P4P #1
While RJJ prolly was the better fighter in his prime, RJJ does not and did not have the basic boxing skills that PBF has....Those skills will help Floyd win when he is past his prime, you can still have your defensive and offensive skill through training, RJJ lost his speed then his technique was exposed
You're post is exactly why I've always felt that prime for prime Floyd was and is a better fighter! Floyd had the speed, athleticism, talent, and the only thing that he lacked that Roy had was more power! Ppl tend to look at Floyd's fights against bigger guys at 147lbs, and at 154lbs(single fight) and make there assesments, but Floyd was the overall package, and he won't be exposed which is why he was prime for prime a better fighter! He was better technically, fundamentally, and defensively. If Roy fought guys anywhere near is speed, and talent level I don't know how he would cope. He used reflexes, and pure talent but against slower fighters.

Even an out of prime RJJ should still never lose to Glen Johnson if he was more than speed and reflexes! Don't get me wrong when we talk about RJJ. I think he was one of the greats of our time, and I'm a big fan of his, but I hated the fact that he was all flash, and I knew it would catch up to him! I still loved the flash, but Flashy fighters lose bad, and ugly eventually if they run into a fighter who has the same flash, or who can manage to take that away from them if they have nothing to fall back on. No basics ruins you in the end!
Biggame is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #20
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggame
If Roy fought guys anywhere near is speed, and talent level I don't know how he would cope. He used reflexes, and pure talent but against slower fighters.
Who, from 160-175, was as fast or as talented as Jones?
Old 07-03-2007, 06:43 PM   #21
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggame
If Roy fought guys anywhere near is speed, and talent level I don't know how he would cope.
I will never understand comments like these.

If Fedor fought anyone with his same skill level he may also lose, but there isnt anybody with it, thats the whole point.
acb is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #22
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Quote:
because of his opposition. what does that say about a fighter when he doesn't need defense.
It says he is an ATF fighter with skills we may have never seen in boxing history.

Oh yeah, and your remark about his opposition. Funny, most of the other guys who fought Hopkins and Toney needed defense.
acb is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 06:50 PM   #23
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Its funny to me to see Floyd fans knocking Roy´s competition.

Which two fighters exaclty on Floyd´s resume match up with Bernard Hopkins and James Toney?
acb is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #24
A-50
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Roy Jones has a Glass Jaw. PBF would knock him out.
A-50 is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #25
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-50
Just like he knocked out Zab Judah right? And also because Floyd has the power and size of Antonio Tarver and Glen Johnson right?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:04 PM   #26
JC2006
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 19911

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-50
Yeah at what weight class? PBF doesn't have the power to knock him out at any time in history.
JC2006 is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 07:06 PM   #27
PBF P4P #1
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acb
Doesnt matter, he had what he had.

Uncanny reflexes, superhuman speed, and natural ability.
True and when that leaves you it is hard to compete at the highest level, however if you are still the most skillful ala BHop you can still compete at the highest level
PBF P4P #1 is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #28
A-50
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
Just like he knocked out Zab Judah right? And also because Floyd has the power and size of Antonio Tarver and Glen Johnson right?

Glen Johnson ain't got any power, neither does Tarver really. Roy Jones fought police officers and bartenders, he never took a risk with maybe the exception of Tarver who knocked his ass out in 2 rounds and embarrrassed him in the 3rd fight. Jones knew he had a Glass Jaw, that is why he avoided power punchers his whole career. He handpicked 95% of his opponents. These are facts.
A-50 is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #29
BeReal
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Good ole Floyd nuthuggers, if he said Sugar Ray Robinson was never any good, there is some moron out there who would second his opinion
BeReal is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #30
RAMPAGE0017
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Floyd has fought many good fighters. Yes he beat hopkins years and eyars ago but that was before hopkins peak. and yes he beat an out of shape toney. he didn't give either opponents a rematch when they both wanted one. AND he fought these two at the peak of his career.

floyd has fought castillo, judah, DLH, corrales, decrley.

he gave castillo a rematch and beat him better than b4. and he's TRYING to get a rematch with oscar when some thought that oscar won. i'm sorry but the level of opposition does not matter. floyd is a better fighter and could continue fighting late in his career because of that.

roy would beat him in a track meet or a speed punch contest but he is not the well-rounded fighter floyd is. floyd is much more versatile, and i'm not one to hug floyds nuts because i dont really like the guy. I'm just saying that floyd is an ALL TIME better fighter period.
I can't help but laugh everytime someone says that Hopkins wasn't in his prime when he fought Jones. Hopkins had 22 consecutive wins before he lost to Jones, and he never lost again until meeting Taylor. Not only that, but I should also mention that the Hopkins and Jones fight was for the IBF title, and as soon as Jones leaves the division, Hopkins wins that very title just two years later.

I guess what I'm trying to say is.... Jones beat PRIME Hopkins.

If both fighters wanted a rematch, they should've met his demands. Jones offered Hopkins a 60-40 split.. that's not reasonable?

Not only is Roy Jones a champion in four different weight divisions, but he absolutely ruled the entire light-heavyweight division.
RAMPAGE0017 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum