Old 07-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #76
Biggame
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd "Il Never look like Roy Jones"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg0208
Whoa whoa.....DLH was NOT prime. And he hasn't fought any of the other fighters you named.

And again, I challenge you guys to name all the cops and cab drivers. There are as far as I can tell, 2 public servants on Jones resume. Frazier and Gonzalez. You can't really say anything against Jones for fighting Gonzalez now can you? BTW....12 of the 15 fighters Jones fought at 175 were ranked in the top 10, and something like 5 of them were top 4. 8 of them were champions. Lets leave the myth of Jones competition alone. Not knowing who the fighters are and them not being good are different things.
Read my post. I said "went after them when they were prime"!

Hey you fight who's in front of you. Sometimes a ranking means nothing. I personally loved RJJ as a fighter, but at the same time I know the sport and being a fan didn't cloud my judgement when it came to some opponents Let's be honest here...175 wasn't a packed division at all! Regardless of what ppl think RJJ is an alltime Great IMO, and nothing will change that. I'm not talking top 50 either. I'm talking top 15!
Biggame is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #77
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg0208
Yah, Hill...the future HOF isn't a great fighter. Neither was Griffin, even though he had just beat Toney 2 times and was unbeaten and a top 3 LHW.
Don't waste any more time kg - some people will never learn
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #78
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

Margarito just mentioning that name in the same sentence as mayweather shows me the breed of clown I am dealing with on here. Boxing SPECIAL
Toopretty is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 08:45 PM   #79
istmeno
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toopretty
Floyd was going after tysu, and that was almost a done deal but tsyu chose to fight Hatton. There was no duck dodging by anybody. Floyd fought Gatti. It was out of Harris or Gatti. Who do you think he would choose. 4mill vs about 1-2 maybe.
don't twist history. it was not a choice of gatti or harris. he was already harris' mandatory when he fought the ELIMINATOR with bruseles. so there was no need to fight bruseles if he was looking for a title shot. it was there already.
istmeno is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #80
Biggame
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
I just read that and I don't even know what you said.....

However, Roy did EASILY have better ring generalship than Floyd. Floyd runs around the ring and waits for his opponent to do something, that isn't generalship, Roy had generalship, he would hit you from all angles and had some of the best footwork ever. He was a general, Floyd is not. And yes Roy in his prime easily had at least as good defense as Floyd. He never got hurt for 15 years aside from a single shot by Del Valle, he was so quick and slick noone could hit him.
Again you're talking bout Floyd at the higher weights not his best weight, and I think it's weighing in heavily on your argument!
Biggame is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #81
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

Damn the blind leading the blind on this mothertrucker. PBF and ROY did that same thing. They cleaned out one division moved up and fought who made them money. With Roy, everybody made him money b/c you paid to see the ROY show. But Roy fought more GOOD fighters. But LOST to some of those guys. And floyd never lost moving up 5 weight classes. There is an argument for both cases.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #82
Biggame
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
130 to 140 is higher weights? I rate Roy from 160 to 175, so what's the problem?
Ok so then you are stating that from 130-140lbs Floyd ran and waited? Are you kidding me Pea!!! What you just stated about RJJ is exactly what Floyd did!
Biggame is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 08:55 PM   #83
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drillmatic
but how can you say that he was faster agility wise? roy stands in front of his opponents and barely moves his upperbody. if he moves his feet its only a step back until he jumps away from danger.

But that's all he needed to do to avoid being hit. Why run around all over the ring (Floyd) when you can avoid danger by a slight, subtle movement and still be in a position to counter.

Roy, hands down, was the better ring general and boxer.

Last edited by kirk; 02-14-2006 at 04:09 PM.
cuchulain is online now  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 08:55 PM   #84
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

34, he lost the first Tarver fight. lol. But that is a good point. But I am no Roy hater. So I can say they are both Dominate fighters that you are not just going to beat. You have to train hard and have a serious game plan. Or you will lose. Roy was very, very unorthodox.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #85
PrideOfWales
Winston Zedmore
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd Mayweather Jnr
Il Never look like Roy Jones
I think he's just saying that even though he's 30, he still can't grow any facial hair.
PrideOfWales is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #86
Biggame
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
130 to 140 is higher weights? I rate Roy from 160 to 175, so what's the problem?
Good night Folks.....debate on!!

Biggame is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #87
Words
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

I'm sorry but Roy Jones Jnr is the better guy for me. I think Roy, in his prime at Super-Middle or Light-Heavy, is about as close to a genuinely unbeatable fighter as I've ever seen. No disrespect to Floyd but Roy Jones Jnr was toying with guys like Bernard Hopkins and James Toney, future legends. Roy knocked guys out with two hands behind his back. He won a legitimate title at heavyweight against a more-or-less legitimate titleholder. Its a lot more impressive to go from middleweight to heavyweight and win titles than it is to go from 135lbs to 154lbs.
Words is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #88
JC2006
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 19911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramshall1
Fraud will always choose the path of least resistance. . . just ask Margarito.
Wrong. He will choose the path of the most money, which Margarito does not offer at present time.
JC2006 is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #89
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

UH dont floyd do the same thing. I never seen floyd run around the ring. He always goes to the center of the ring. Then its the other guy that wants no part of Floyd in the center of the ring. Learn boxing. Floyd is elusive, Spinks RUNS. Floyd is always there he lands his shots. If you ever watched his fights, he always finds a way to the center of the ring. And the other guy wont dare fight him there. They push, hold, grab and do anything to push him against the ropes. That aint running my friend. Go step in the ring with a boxer and just plant your feet and stand there and come forward against a bigger guy. Then call me to talk about it if you are comprehensive
Old 07-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #90
Ramshall1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toopretty
Margarito just mentioning that name in the same sentence as mayweather shows me the breed of clown I am dealing with on here. Boxing SPECIAL
youre right, one has the courage to fight the best possible opposition . . . and the other is a coward.
Ramshall1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum