Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
Pad-Man
***Team England***

vCash: 75
Default Nathan Cleverly.

After seeing all the pro-Bellew threads on the board can we also have some love for Nathan.

He too participated in a good fight and walked away with his '0' and a 'W'. He gave his all in the ring and was classy after the fight in his interview.

Remember this lad is 2 years younger than Frankie Gavin and a year younger than Kell Brook yet holds a strap at world level. The lad should get way more kudos than he gets, so come on lads be fair and congratulate the man.

Nathan Cleverly I applaud you son, you beat a game fighter who fought to his best ability and in his backyard and took home the win. Take a bow 'boyo'
Pad-Man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
lozkina
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Nathan Cleverly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pad-Man View Post
After seeing all the pro-Bellew threads on the board can we also have some love for Nathan.

He too participated in a good fight and walked away with his '0' and a 'W'. He gave his all in the ring and was classy after the fight in his interview.

Remember this lad is 2 years younger than Frankie Gavin and a year younger than Kell Brook yet holds a strap at world level. The lad should get way more kudos than he gets, so come on lads be fair and congratulate the man.

Nathan Cleverly I applaud you son, you beat a game fighter who fought to his best ability and in his backyard and took home the win. Take a bow 'boyo'

No
lozkina is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
TheUzi
MISSION INCOMPLETE
ESB Addict

vCash: 315

Absolutely.
He played his part in a great fight, his engine is spectacular.

The reason for the lack of respect is that he was an overwhelming fav to win the fight, same as Chunky who also turned in a gutsy showing.
TheUzi is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Pad-Man
***Team England***

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozkina View Post
No

Get yourself of to some shows and watch them ffs and take it all in. The lad gave his all in a raging stadium where he was called all sorts yet still brough hom the bacon. Grow the **** up and get a level head ffs.

War Clev...
Pad-Man is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
Pad-Man
***Team England***

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUzi View Post
Absolutely.
He played his part in a great fight, his engine is spectacular.

The reason for the lack of respect is that he was an overwhelming fav to win the fight, same as Chunky who also turned in a gutsy showing.
Degale was about to do his ring walk and was waiting for his tune to start. Some twats were heckling him and calling him 'black bastard' yet the lad remained cool and kept his composure. They booed him en-route to the ring yet cheered the pole 'so glad he destroyed the myth that was Paul Smith' (thats my phrase ) how on earth can you boo a compatriot and cheer a foreigner is beyond me.

He fought a guy who couldn't be dented and got the 'w'. As you say mate, fairplay to the young lad!

Last edited by Pad-Man; 10-16-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Pad-Man is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
vCash: 1000

Good luck to Cleverley, I wish him all the best now going on to big things. I'm not really a fan or anything but that's the case for me with most fighters really, I'll follow his career as I have been doing simply because he's a boxer and a world class one at that. Good luck going as far as you can Nathan.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #7
El Greeno
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 360

Depending on how highly you rate Bellew's power, Clev showed he has a chin anywhere from good to great. He has some fantastic, athletic qualities, his speed and workrate are superb, and he showed lots of heart last night. The question mark will always be his power, he hit Bellew with a lot of clean shots last night and Tony never looked in a whole lot of trouble, when in fact he has been hurt by much lesser fighters.
El Greeno is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

You know what I thought was great about Cleverley in this one? The way everyone always talks about how he fights and that his style is not to take full advanatage of his reach etc. Well I always just assumed that it was maybe because he isn't too good as a boxer, he is better as a fighter/swarmer and that was simply the reason why he fights the way he does. But after the fight when he said (something like) 'me and Tony, we can box, but we like to fight', the way he said it, and on the back of the performance that just went down in the ring, I believed him 100%, he likes to fight, he likes to feel he's in a fight by throwing lots of punches and being in close trading. I respect him a lot.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
skoorydookatron
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1768

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozkina View Post
No

Try and take note from your man bellew and show some class
skoorydookatron is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
Pad-Man
***Team England***

Good posts lads :

I aint a hugger or nout but feel like the lad has never got the respect he deserves. He is young, dedicated and competitive so deserves way more respect than he gets.

This lad is the truth, just need a better trainer than his dad now and ths lad might just go on to dominate the world in a few years. I want the lad to work on his defense now for 2-3 fights and push with plans on to unify.
Pad-Man is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pad-Man View Post
Good posts lads :

I aint a hugger or nout but feel like the lad has never got the respect he deserves. He is young, dedicated and competitive so deserves way more respect than he gets.

This lad is the truth, just need a better trainer than his dad now and ths lad might just go on to dominate the world in a few years. I want the lad to work on his defense now for 2-3 fights and push with plans on to unify.

(I'm kidding but couldn't help myself, relax Barry)
teeto is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #12
lozkina
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoorydookatron View Post
Try and take note from your man bellew and show some class

your boy comes to liverpool and does his best to wind the crowd up and through the fight disrespects Tony, this could of started a riot , it was like a ticking bomb in there anyway, plus lets not forget who started all the disrespecting. So to answer your question I dont have to like him or his sad bandana
lozkina is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #13
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

I'm glad last night they both had won respect for each other and both played there parts in a great bout. Bellew was the EVT winner and won more of the plaudits rightly so. Clev and many fans were extremely dismissive of Bellew as a man and fighter and he was taken to the wire. Cleverly sadly hasn't improved since beating Brancalion and i don't see him getting better under Vince.

I personally felt the lowblows in round 5 IIRC? swung the momentum of the fight. He was getting outboxed from rounds 2,3,4, and the fifth till he strayed low and then it seemed to give him a foothold back in the fight. That's my opinion but Cleverly is a good young champion but nothing more nothing else.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #14
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandanda View Post
I'm glad last night they both had won respect for each other and both played there parts in a great bout. Bellew was the EVT winner and won more of the plaudits rightly so. Clev and many fans were extremely dismissive of Bellew as a man and fighter and he was taken to the wire. Cleverly sadly hasn't improved since beating Brancalion and i don't see him getting better under Vince.

I personally felt the lowblows in round 5 IIRC? swung the momentum of the fight. He was getting outboxed from rounds 2,3,4, and the fifth till he strayed low and then it seemed to give him a foothold back in the fight. That's my opinion but Cleverly is a good young champion but nothing more nothing else.
I wanted Tony to win and I think it could have went either way, but no excuses. Low blows happen and shit. Cleverley fought well.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #15
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
I wanted Tony to win and I think it could have went either way, but no excuses. Low blows happen and shit. Cleverley fought well.
They happen but doesn't make it right nor does it lessen the effect. Visibly weakened Bellew IMO. Whether it was deliberate or not i don't know but it doesn't change fact it gave him a foothold back into the bout in a period where he was struggling.
Mandanda is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum