Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #46
glue glove
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,738
vCash: 500
Default Re: What Ricky Hatton Biggest Mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
You might want to edit out the double V sign from Franks name mate, I think the mods are banning people for it
Cheers for the heads up!
glue glove is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #47
steelcity
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Default Re: What Ricky Hatton Biggest Mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glue glove View Post
Cheers for the heads up!
why is w a r r e n banned anyway may i ask?
steelcity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #48
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kent. UK.
Posts: 5,165
vCash: 81
Default Re: What Ricky Hatton Biggest Mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glue glove View Post
Cheers for the heads up!


Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcity View Post
why is w a r r e n banned anyway may i ask?
Lets just say he likes a lawsuit
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #49
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Check Hook Boxing
Posts: 2,207
vCash: 500
Default Re: What Ricky Hatton Biggest Mistake?

Hiring Mayweather was an odd one, I must say.

First of all, I'd question whether he's any better a trainer than Billy Graham to be honest..... Hatton looked less sharp in both his fights under Floyd sr than he did in his later ones with Billy.

Look at his track record - he completely disarmed De La Hoya from an all round boxer with a fearsome left hook into a plodding hybrid of a counter puncher and pressure fighter.

His son - Roger is primarily responsible for Floyd's ability in the ring, coupled with enormous natural ability.

In summary, Hatton's mistakes/things to do differently (in no order....)

1. The WBU reign of error
2. Sticking with the style that won him the Tszyu fight
3. Weight fluctuations
4. Believing his own hype post-Castillo
5. Firing Graham and hiring Floyd
6. Fighting like a clueless journeyman against Pac

All in all it wouldn't have made that much of a difference to his overall standing but his record might have looked a bit better and his prime lasted longer.
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #50
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kent. UK.
Posts: 5,165
vCash: 81
Default Re: What Ricky Hatton Biggest Mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint Rhino View Post
Hiring Mayweather was an odd one, I must say.

First of all, I'd question whether he's any better a trainer than Billy Graham to be honest..... Hatton looked less sharp in both his fights under Floyd sr than he did in his later ones with Billy.

Look at his track record - he completely disarmed De La Hoya from an all round boxer with a fearsome left hook into a plodding hybrid of a counter puncher and pressure fighter.

His son - Roger is primarily responsible for Floyd's ability in the ring, coupled with enormous natural ability.

In summary, Hatton's mistakes/things to do differently (in no order....)

1. The WBU reign of error
2. Sticking with the style that won him the Tszyu fight
3. Weight fluctuations
4. Believing his own hype post-Castillo
5. Firing Graham and hiring Floyd
6. Fighting like a clueless journeyman against Pac

All in all it wouldn't have made that much of a difference to his overall standing but his record might have looked a bit better and his prime lasted longer.
You pretty much summed it up there mate.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #51
Run Conn, RUN
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 494
vCash: 75
Default Re: What Ricky Hatton Biggest Mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
I suppose that must have been the thinking behind it, seems daft though, Ricky was always a in your face pressure fighter, he was never going to learn how to box off the backfoot and counter punch at that stage of his career, the Manny fight proved that.
Rickey, sadly, is deluded.
Run Conn, RUN is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #52
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Check Hook Boxing
Posts: 2,207
vCash: 500
Default Re: What Ricky Hatton Biggest Mistake?

Oh, and fighting Lazcano instead of Witter post-Floyd.

Obviously Witter looked like a murderer in the Harris fight and Ricky was coming off a loss, but it would have been a great way to shove two fingers up at any criticism that was coming his way.

Sillyman would have gladly bumped the Bradley/Castillo fight from final eliminator to ''eliminator'' status in return for the increased moola and let Hatton step in. Would have been a great British event, with Froch on the undercard in an eliminator of his own.
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #53
Bob'n'Weave
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Default Re: What Ricky Hatton Biggest Mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellberg View Post
The shit Hatton gets is a disgrace.
Bob'n'Weave is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #54
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Asia, via Scotland
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What Ricky Hatton Biggest Mistake?

Believing his own hype. He lost sight of the fact he was a fraud.
Betty Swollocks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:00 PM   #55
Rob887
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,273
vCash: 533
Default Re: What Ricky Hatton Biggest Mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint Rhino View Post
Oh, and fighting Lazcano instead of Witter post-Floyd.
Why would he walk straight into a fight with Witter after getting stopped by Floyd? There isn't a fighter in the game who doesn't have a warm up fight after a heavy defeat.
Rob887 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #56
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Check Hook Boxing
Posts: 2,207
vCash: 500
Default Re: What Ricky Hatton Biggest Mistake?

^^^

That's not exactly true.

Plus, there's warm up fight and dragging a body out of retirement for a fight.

I'm not meaning to give Hatton any shit here, but Lazcano wasn't remotely world class at the time, he'd been out for over a year after a points loss to the average Vivian Harris - who was absolutely battered by Witter a few months later.

It made both financial and boxing sense to do the fight there and then.
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #57
Akxtinguish
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,680
vCash: 75
Default Re: What Ricky Hatton Biggest Mistake?

Losing to Pacquiao despite being ahead by a country mile.

Actually I think Hatton had a good career. He lost to two ATG's, and had some decent fights before that.

Hatton-Witter would have been epic a few years ago, and Hatton-DLH would have been an interesting one right at the end.
Akxtinguish is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #58
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,323
vCash: 75
Default Re: What Ricky Hatton Biggest Mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-MAC View Post
The Hatton Insurance advert.
Career highlight for me . Haye should take a few lessons off him if he wants to get into acting.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #59
gooners!!
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 5,083
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What Ricky Hatton Biggest Mistake?

Possibly a culmination of over-eagerness to get inside and not listening to instructions.

Hatton used to step up to range and impatienly fidget back and fourth looking for a spot to jump in at the opponent, but at times he became so preoccupied with that, that he neglected his own defense. I think he used to forget that the other guy was allowed to punch back, now this could of been curbed had he been someone who actually listened to his trainer, but what ever Hatton was told during the rounds used to go in one ear and out the other. Just listen to various interview he did over the years where by he would say stuff like...."yeah Billy was telling me that in the corner but I was still getting a bit gun ho trying to finish him", then look at him against Manny Pacquiao.

It doesn't matter who would of trained Hatton, he simply didn't follow instructions well enough imo.
gooners!! is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #60
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What Ricky Hatton Biggest Mistake?

OK biggest mistakes aren't anything that's been mentioned (except maybe by Gooners). His biggest mistake was to never learn to keep his hands up and to rush in without any head movement, that and throwing wide lead left left hooks that were there to be countered. That was always going to see him get ko'd, Billy Graham or not. Mayweather tried to teach him defence but you can't teach an old dog new tricks


Quote:
Originally Posted by gooners!! View Post
Possibly a culmination of over-eagerness to get inside and not listening to instructions.

Hatton used to step up to range and impatienly fidget back and fourth looking for a spot to jump in at the opponent, but at times he became so preoccupied with that, that he neglected his own defense. I think he used to forget that the other guy was allowed to punch back, now this could of been curbed had he been someone who actually listened to his trainer, but what ever Hatton was told during the rounds used to go in one ear and out the other. Just listen to various interview he did over the years where by he would say stuff like...."yeah Billy was telling me that in the corner but I was still getting a bit gun ho trying to finish him", then look at him against Manny Pacquiao.

It doesn't matter who would of trained Hatton, he simply didn't follow instructions well enough imo.

That's because he was fed stiffs for years, that were too small, too slow, too old and couldn't hurt him. It taught him bad habits, habits Graham never ironed out
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013