Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #31
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Re: Jorge Linares/Antonio DeMarco - What a fight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I forgot his surname, man!

Can't remember everyone in the book!
Rocky Juarez has fought Humberto Soto, Marco Antonio Barrera, Juan Manuel Marquez, Chris John, Jason Litzau, etc. It's hard for me to believe that any serious Boxing fan could forget Rocky Jaurez's name.
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #32
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Lazarus can't be ****in' serious with that "Rocky something" shite.

I pretty much agree with everything Flea Man has said. Linares throws flash combinations but there's so many more things involved in professional prizefighting. Intangibles, ability to defend yourself, temperament, toughness, punch resistance, etc. I would say Linares is a very fine offensive fighter, but all things considered, he can't really be considered a special talent. A special talent would have found a way to win irrespective of the cut.
And how's that?

You could have all the talent in the world, but if you have blood literally pouring from every part of your face, then talent can't save you.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #33
jpab19
Exploding Muffin Dad
East Side Guru

vCash: 9287

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsLeader View Post
HBO compared him to Sugar Ray Robinson aswell. I was too shocked to laugh at that one.

Something about him being a tall, fast fighter reminded them of the (arguable) GOAT Ray Robinson - I wonder what it was exactly?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
jpab19 is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #34
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

Quote:
Rocky Juarez has fought Humberto Soto, Marco Antonio Barrera, Juan Manuel Marquez, Chris John, Jason Litzau, etc. It's hard for me to believe that any serious Boxing fan could forget Rocky Jaurez's name.
I know that, but you've been on this Forum a lot longer than I've been a Boxing fan, so chill out.

Everyone has different levels of knowledge. Tbf, I give myself credit for actually knowing the guy and watching his previous fights.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #35
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
And how's that?

You could have all the talent in the world, but if you have blood literally come from every part of your face, then talent can't save you.
Jorge Linares was fighting a decent but not great opponent in Antonio DeMarco. A special talent would have showed a greater ability to defend themselves, and would have thought twice about getting into exchanges whilst their vision was compromised.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #36
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Linares' meltdown in the 11th was just weird. His nose was probably broken, he was a complete mess, so he gets tagged and decides to trade, even though he hasn't hurt DeMarco once!?

What a weirdo. He could have just got on his bike, jabbed and kept DeMarco turning. Instead he wades on in and gets battered. It was the most awful set of tactics to adopt when he was comfortably ahead.

It made for a thrilling end, but showed up that Linares is too small at 135 and not good enough to beat the best.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #37
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
And how's that?

You could have all the talent in the world, but if you have blood literally pouring from every part of your face, then talent can't save you.
Fighting instincts coupled with Ring I.Q have seen many fighters come through worse against better fighters than DeMarco. One obvious example is many of Jorge Arces best wins

Jose Napoles cut badly and lost a few big fights because of it, but was only ever in bad boxing shape once from it, in his final fight. He had to be pulled out because of the state of him, not because he was being battered because he couldn't come through it.

Juan Diaz is a recent example of fighters that fell to bits when cut, but saying 'not even talent can pull you through' is saying that looking flashy is 'talent' and the ability to make adjustments or grit your teeth isn't 'talent'
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #38
MightyLondoner
Underdog
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Personally I was just greatful too see an entertaining fight, Both these fighters had fallen off my radar over the past year or so and was good too see them on british screens again. Linares boxed superbly for 10 rounds but ultimately couldn't cope with the amount of blood streaming down his face. A rematch would be widely accepted as this one threatened to turn into a classic at times.
MightyLondoner is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #39
jpab19
Exploding Muffin Dad
East Side Guru

vCash: 9287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
One obvious example is many of Jorge Arces best wins
Couldn't cut it against Diamante though.
jpab19 is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #40
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpab19 View Post
Couldn't cut it against Diamante though.
You forget that I'm a Mijares fan. And also why I said Arce wins and not fights

Being stopped on cuts isn't rare, but getting battered to a stoppage because you've been cut is a worrying trait. Linares was a state don't get me wrong, but as others have said, he should've found a way through it. There was many things he could've done to avoid getting stopped, he did the exact opposite

Yeah, major major talent is Linares.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #41
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

Quote:
Jorge Linares was fighting a decent but not great opponent in Antonio DeMarco. A special talent would have showed a greater ability to defend themselves, and would have thought twice about getting into exchanges whilst their vision was compromised.
I can see what you're saying. Well in that case, maybe not special, but a talent (to me, anyway!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Fighting instincts coupled with Ring I.Q have seen many fighters come through worse against better fighters than DeMarco. One obvious example is many of Jorge Arces best wins

Jose Napoles cut badly and lost a few big fights because of it, but was only ever in bad boxing shape once from it, in his final fight. He had to be pulled out because of the state of him, not because he was being battered because he couldn't come through it.

Juan Diaz is a recent example of fighters that fell to bits when cut, but saying 'not even talent can pull you through' is saying that looking flashy is 'talent' and the ability to make adjustments or grit your teeth isn't 'talent'
Same with Addie, I can see what you're saying there, but I think the man still has some (toned it down a little ) talent, but I just feel that even with any amount of talent, that type of situation with that amount of blood and the broken nose was just too much.

I would like to see a rematch though. It was a enjoyable fight.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #42
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I'd prefer to see DeMarco step it up a notch and get shown his level, and Linares, well, he'll get another soft one next no doubt, a few patsys, then inevitably fall short again.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #43
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Linares should've watched Cotto Vs Clottey.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #44
Bonavena25
Vamos!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Watched the fight today knowing the result and at the end of the 10th I was thinking how the hell does he manage to screw this up? He looked completely in control and the cut had in some ways liberated him to produce some nice fluent boxing.

Disappointing the way he threw that away. He's been knocked out cold now early doors and been worn down late on, so it doesn't bode well. Shame, I thought the Larios performance marked him out as something special. It reminded me of the recent Guerrero-Katsidis fight in the way he defused a hardened volume puncher.
Bonavena25 is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #45
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Linares is obviously talented. As I say, he's a wonderful offensive fighter. Impressive handspeed, nice punch variety, and his combinations are very pretty but just how effective were they? DeMarco wasn't deterred by any of them at any point during the fight. In fact, DeMarco seemed to do his best work immediately after getting tagged. "Some more of this soft stuff, please".

The problem is, Linares is getting found out even before he has stepped up to truly world class level. Okay, the title was on the line, but DeMarco isn't the best the Lightweight division has to offer. Can you imagine what a Rios would do to Linares? The Mexican would laugh those pretty combinations off all night.
Addie is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum