Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-20-2011, 04:06 AM   #1
Manning
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1449
Default Chambers vs Thompson fight falls through, Chambers injured.

Quote:
Heavyweight contender Eddie Chambers said he is suffering from a bad back and has withdrawn from his title elimination bout against Tony Thompson, which was scheduled for Oct. 28.

Chambers and Thompson, who are good friends, were supposed to meet at Bally's in Atlantic City, N.J., on Showtime's "ShoBox: The New Generation." A mandatory title shot at heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko -- who has already beaten both of them by knockout -- was to be at stake.

The show will go on, however.

Originally a tripleheader, the show will now feature two televised bouts, with super middleweight prospect Brandon Gonzales (14-0, 10 KOs) facing veteran Ossie Duran (26-8-2, 9 KOs), and 2008 U.S. Olympian Javier Molina (9-0, 4 KOs) against Artemio Reyes (13-1, 11 KOs) in an eight-round junior middleweight bout.

"It's always disappointing when you have a fight with a lot on the line and one of the fighters gets hurt. There's nothing you can do about it. It's part of the sport," Dan Goossen, who promotes Thompson and Chambers, told ESPN.com on Wednesday. "It's one of the breaks of the game. I just hate to see Tony Thompson putting all this hard work in and now he's faced with not fighting next Friday."

Chambers (36-2, 18 KOs) had been training in his hometown of Philadelphia but experienced tightness in his back.

"This has been an ongoing thing and it just caught up to me," Chambers told ESPN.com. "My back has always been tight and that's a very stubborn area in your body. But it's really gotten to me. I was sparring last week and it really got to me.

"I don't think it was any specific move or punch, but it became unbearable. I just don't want to get in there with a guy like Tony and half-ass it. You're asking for either a bad performance or a loss, and I don't want either of those. It's unfortunate. I worked really hard, but I'm injured."

Chambers said he had X-rays and would have an MRI exam to get to the bottom of the problem.

"In camp, my back was tight," he said. "I would do some rounds and then I couldn't move. I was going to tough it out, but I just couldn't perform. My back was tightening up when I was just walking around."

Thompson (36-2, 24 KOs), who turned 40 on Tuesday, and Chambers, 29, both were the two fighters remaining in an IBF-sanctioned four-man tournament to produce Klitschko's next mandatory challenger.

Goossen said he is in contact with the organization to figure out what to do next. The organization could go down its rankings and mandate that Thompson face the next available contender.

"If we can't reschedule the fight, I believe Tony should just become the mandatory because he has performed within the guidelines of the tournament," Goossen said. "Or we can try to reschedule the fight for later in the year."

Chambers and Thompson both suffered late knockouts in previous mandatory title shots against Klitschko. In July 2008, Klitschko stopped Thompson in the 11th round of what was, to this point, his most competitive defense. In March 2010, Klitschko dominated Chambers from start to finish before knocking him out cold with five seconds left in the 12th and final round.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

FFS! That looked like a good fight too. I wonder if the IBO will bring someone else in to replace Chambers. David Haye if you're serious about wanting a rematch with Wlad here is your chance at a mandatory position.
Manning is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2011, 05:39 AM   #2
itsa huge bitch
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 762
Default Re: Chambers vs Thompson fight falls through, Chambers injured.

i hope so..and i hope its not some ****ing tit
itsa huge bitch is offline  Top
Old 10-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #3
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

CHAMBERS' BACK INJURY CANCELS FIGHT WITH THOMPSON
by Lem Satterfield
Oct 19th, 2011

A Showtime-televised IBF heavyweight eliminator featuring Eddie Chambers and southpaw Tony Thompson that was slated for Oct. 28 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City is off because of a chronic back injury suffered by Chambers that reached its most painful point last week, Chambers told RingTV.com.

"It was just something that has been going on for a long time, where, when I would run or things like that, the pain would just become unbearable. It just started happening again, and I just can't explain what it is," said the 29-year-old Chambers, who said he tried to endure the problem through sparring.

"It's the lower back. I've gone to some doctors and they've basically said that it's a lower back strain, something like that."

Promoter Dan Goossen was matter-of-fact:

"Well, there's really not much to say, other than this is something that happens in all sports. That's why the Oakland Raiders just got Carson Palmer because Jason Campbell went down with an injury," said Goossen.

"It's an occurrence that happens in all sports with athletes in these rough and tumble sports. It's something that frustrates networks, sites and fighters, but it's something that happens."

ESPN.com reports that Showtime will still televise a super middleweight bout between Brandon Gonzales (14-0, 10 KOs) and Ossie Duran (26-8-2, 9 KOs), as well as former Olympian Javier Molina (9-0, 4 KOs) against Artemio Reyes (13-1, 11 KOs).

Chambers (36-2, 18 KOs) was to meet Thompson (36-2, 24 KOs) in an IBF title eliminator bout for the right to avenge their respective stoppage losses against Wladimir Klitschko.

"It was really hard for me to make regular movements and to get around the ring. It was a difficult situation, it really was," said Chambers. "I spoke to [Promoter Dan Goossen,] and it was just one of those things. I really didn't want to have to do it, because a big opportunity has passed. But it just had to be."

Chambers was knocked out in the 12th round by Klitschko in March of last year, but is coming off a unanimous decision over Derric Rossy in February.

Thompson, who turned 40 on Oct. 18, last lost when Klitschko stopped him in 11 rounds in 2008, but has won five straight bouts, all by knockout, since then.

"I'll try to rehabilitate it with this masseuse guy that I work with and he'll work on the different pressure points and stuff like that," said Chambers. "Also, I'll have to stretch a lot more, which is obvious. And then, it's just going to be a lot of resting. I just have to rest until the point where it gets better."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Slacker is offline  Top
Old 10-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Over at the scene...

Chambers Apologizes to Angry Thompson for Withdrawal

Heavyweight contenders Eddie Chambers (36-2, 18 KOs) and Tony Thompson (36-1, 24 KOs) are good friends, but the two boxers were scheduled to fight each other on October 28th in an IBF eliminator, which Showtime planned to carry as part of a televised tripleheader. Chambers suffered a back injury in training and officially withdrew on Wednesday.

The two boxers are such good friends that Chambers apologized to Thompson for not giving him immediate notification of the fight being canceled. Chambers hopes the fight can be rescheduled before the year is out.

"I thought I was going to be able to perform by getting massages and nutrition. I went to the doctor [and he] said I have I have a bad strain in my lower back and that I need time off. Too close in the fight, and against opposition like [Thompson] I need to be 100%. But my fault for not hitting [Thompson] up last night when I was noticed about my back. Hopefully we can do something before this year is over," Chambers said.

Thompson is obviously upset, and believes Chambers knew about the injury much earlier.

"Sounds like [Chambers] knew earlier and [Chambers] knows what we put into getting ready for a fight....the money, the time away from family, and both [of us] were not getting much for the fight - so the money we put into it is our own. Why wait so long if this was bothering you before. [Chambers] knows [he] can talk to me and it would have stayed private," Thompson replied.
Slacker is offline  Top
Old 10-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Manning
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1449

Still no word if this is going to be fought again at a later date or if someone else will face Thompson. If it's going to be Ray Austin again I hope he hangs himself.
Manning is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum