Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #1
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default William " caveman " Lee

A god aweful number of years ago, I was watching a program called ESPN's top rank boxing's greatest moments. I probably recorded the program and now its likely been sitting in a biox for the past 15 years or more. The show was aired around 1990, and it was in celebration of the top rank boxing's 10th anniversary. Al Bernstein and Barry Thompkins were the hosts back in those days. They went through and showed all of the decade's best moments on top rank between 1980-1990. They had some early footage of Tyson, Nunn, and several others. Fights like Robbie Simms vs Iran Barkley, Roger Mayweather vs Freddie Pendleton etc. It was truley awesome.

Anyway, one fight they showed was two middleweights, William " Caveman" Lee vs John Locicero. This was a slugfest over 5 rounds, that looked incredible even in just a few clips. Apparently they met in Detroit around 1981, on a hot July night. Al Bernstein said that the arena was sweltering hot and at times felt like he himself was going to pass out, and that he could only imagine how the two battling fighters felt. Caveman wound up winning the match via 5th round TKO. Two fights later, he would lose to world champion Marvin Hagler in a single round.

Lee was apparently a very big Puncher. he knocked out some 22 of his 23 victoms, and quite a few were in the early rounds. Although boxrec can be deceiving, it would cerrtainly appear as though Lee had some chin and stamina issues. Unfortunately I have seen very little footage of the Caveman. I would sure as hell like to get that fight with Locicero though. Anyway, he retired with a respectable record of 23-4-0-22, and fought once for the middleweight crown in a losing effort.

Below is his one round loss to Marvin Hagler from youtube.

There also appears to be some additional decent clips of Hagler on the link as well.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: William " caveman " Lee

I remember hearing about that fight with Locicero. Also remember him losing to Frank Fletcher in the ESPN tourney.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1
I remember hearing about that fight with Locicero. Also remember him losing to Frank Fletcher in the ESPN tourney.
Here is a really good article from boxing cyberzone. Its a bit lengthy, but if you have time later, check it out. Apparently Lee did some time in prison.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
I would sure as hell like to get that fight with Locicero though. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Virtually any collector probably has their bout so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Lee later said the Locicero fight (and not the Hagler fight) was the beginning of his downfall.
jowcol is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

It was incredible. Lee got off to a good start, and the LoCicero came on, and had Lee nearly out on his feet at the end of the fourth. And the fifth and final round was one of the wildest that I've ever seen.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2007, 01:46 PM   #6
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101
It was incredible. Lee got off to a good start, and the LoCicero came on, and had Lee nearly out on his feet at the end of the fourth. And the fifth and final round was one of the wildest that I've ever seen.
Did you see it live on ESPN top rank boxing in 1981, or on a recording later?
Old 12-14-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Here is a really good article from boxing cyberzone. Its a bit lengthy, but if you have time later, check it out. Apparently Lee did some time in prison.

It was a great article.Also heard that he was involved in a, uh, relationship behind bars.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinBlack
It was a great article.Also heard that he was involved in a, uh, relationship behind bars.
Probably was. To tell you the truth, a socialogical study that was conducted over a decade ago, concluded that more than half of all inmates engage in some sort of ***ual activity with another inmate of the same ***.

Makes you feel glad you're not in jail.

Anyway, I just found another article that said he went to prison again in 2000, for something like armed robbery. He wasn't supposed to get a parole hearing until 2006. I don't know what ever became of it.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101
I saw it. GREAT fight.
Mendoza is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum