kieranstapleton is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tommy Coyle looks a good prospect

To be fair Simpson is only a feather/ super feather judge him on the Mathews fight and he goes and gets well beat by ormond
Nice boxer tommy who defo needs to tighten his defence IMO a domestic level fighter
billy nelson is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Furey
EST & REG 2009
ESB Addict

Good fighter.

Really impressed me against Derry, he was winning all ends up until he got caught with an absolute beauty.
Furey is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
troy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
To be fair Simpson is only a feather/ super feather judge him on the Mathews fight and he goes and gets well beat by ormond
Nice boxer tommy who defo needs to tighten his defence IMO a domestic level fighter
agree will be in a good few domestic clashes but defo no world beater
troy is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Daviddee1983
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
In fairness though Billy. John is as tough and the come and Tommy was hurting him very easily. Tommy reminds me a lot of Alex Arthur he is a bully type fighter but doesn't really like to take it back. Not a criticism of either as I like them both but just a observation. If Tommy is lucky he will get a world title shot of sorts. Depends who he fights he may have a slim chance.. I would like to see him in with Terry Flannigan although I think Coyle loses, I think he would learn a lot
Daviddee1983 is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Ryan the Lion
King of the Jungle
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviddee1983 View Post
In fairness though Billy. John is as tough and the come and Tommy was hurting him very easily. Tommy reminds me a lot of Alex Arthur he is a bully type fighter but doesn't really like to take it back. Not a criticism of either as I like them both but just a observation. If Tommy is lucky he will get a world title shot of sorts. Depends who he fights he may have a slim chance.. I would like to see him in with Terry Flannigan although I think Coyle loses, I think he would learn a lot
John Simpson isn't a lightweight and he took that fight on short notice to do Hearn a favor (A stupid one IMO) but he got off the couch for it. I know Simpson used to say if he got a world title shot then he would like it at super bantamweight so that tells you all you need to know about that fight, but i hope Hearn repays John for saving his ass because i remember Hearn saying he was going to get John a world title fight after the Choi.
Ryan the Lion is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

John Simpson given 12 weeks notice would give both Carl and Scott the fight of there lives
Old 12-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
Ryan the Lion
King of the Jungle
ESB Addict

Quote:
John Simpson given 12 weeks notice would give both Carl and Scott the fight of there lives
He probably would. Quigg-Simpson would be easier to make i would imagine, and John would be a step up from Quiggs last opponent IMO. That's a good shout for Ricky's chief support as that would defo get the juices flowing in a big night of Scottish boxing .
Ryan the Lion is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
Daviddee1983
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan the Lion View Post
He probably would. Quigg-Simpson would be easier to make i would imagine, and John would be a step up from Quiggs last opponent IMO. That's a good shout for Ricky's chief support as that would defo get the juices flowing in a big night of Scottish boxing .
No chance Hearn risks that.. He see's no future in Simpson that's why no title shot or careful matchmaking. End of the day it's about money and John brings nothing to Eddie's table. Best think John can try and do is gate crash the featherweight or superfeather weight scene. Maybe an all Scottish clash with Ronnie Clark. I'm sure the big promoters would be keen on a fight like that. Especially of Ronnie manages to win the British title mid 2014. I'm a big Simpson fan. I think weight is his problem that was exposed against Choi and I'm sure John would admit that. The likes of Walsh, Clark, Sykes and Buckland are much bigger than him. Best bet in my eyes is Warrington or Ryan Walsh both fights he would stand a very good chance
Old 12-28-2013, 04:40 AM   #10
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviddee1983 View Post
No chance Hearn risks that.. He see's no future in Simpson that's why no title shot or careful matchmaking. End of the day it's about money and John brings nothing to Eddie's table. Best think John can try and do is gate crash the featherweight or superfeather weight scene. Maybe an all Scottish clash with Ronnie Clark. I'm sure the big promoters would be keen on a fight like that. Especially of Ronnie manages to win the British title mid 2014. I'm a big Simpson fan. I think weight is his problem that was exposed against Choi and I'm sure John would admit that. The likes of Walsh, Clark, Sykes and Buckland are much bigger than him. Best bet in my eyes is Warrington or Ryan Walsh both fights he would stand a very good chance
with the fullest of respect Ronnie thus far bring zero to the table, John has won British and Commonwealth titles, plus Ronnies from another promotional stable
Old 12-28-2013, 05:27 AM   #11
Daviddee1983
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
with the fullest of respect Ronnie thus far bring zero to the table, John has won British and Commonwealth titles, plus Ronnies from another promotional stable
Billy I don't disagree with that John has fought at a much higher level. It would be good for Scottish boxing. We don't get to see many top prospects/fighters fight each other. This is very high risk low reward for John. I think the different stables shouldn't matter. This fight would be up there for fight of the year whether it was on Sky or Boxnation. I'm a honest guy I want to see John go down to feather I'm a big fan and I think he can clear up domestically. I think he is in no mans land. Hearn obviously isn't that interested in him. I hope he can get a meaningful fight that he can win then push on. All I would say about Ronnie is that when he gets the chance he is going to take it with both hands.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #12
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

I see your point but if John beats Ronnie TG has a very hard job trying to get Ronnie any type of title shot, so we both know it wont happen. IMO Simpsonfights far to early for Ronnie, if Ronnie keeps winning I can see him fighting in 2015 for a domestic title
Old 12-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #13
Daviddee1983
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I don't believe so. John is looked upon as a British Level fighter maybe even Euro. Looking at Johns last 2 fights he struggled against big strong guys. Choi is a beast of a man but isn't that big a puncher and same goes for Tommy. Ronnie can bang and John isn't great at going backwards. IMO Ronnie is more than ready, it's probably one of the hardest fights Ronnie could take but I believe Ronnie would get too him. You know as well as I do Ronnie doesn't care about that "0" he wants to challenge himself against the best. If/When Ronnie gets a domestic title, I can't see Tommy or Ronnie wanting to hang around too long. I think they would be pushing themselves further. We will see Ronnie in a eliminator in the New Year. I hope to see John in a meaningful fight.. Hearn has a trump card he has Smith. Put them in together 2 close fights before. Sure he could get a fringe org belt for that!!
Old 12-28-2013, 06:43 AM   #14
Jquik
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Mitchell knocks him out in 6 imo
Jquik is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #15
Furey
EST & REG 2009
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jquik View Post
Mitchell knocks him out in 6 imo
Mitchell should be pressing on looking for world title opportunities, sticking around with domestic fights is not going to do anything for him. Not saying by any means Coyle would beat Mitchell, but its a fight Coyle would be right bang up for and coming to fight, whereas it would be a fight Mitchell would perhaps struggle to get "up" for.

I was impressed with Mitchell the other week at the ExCel and it seems his head is now screwed on, but he has to put everything together now in order not to be remembered as a 'nearly man'.

He's a talented fighter, he just needs to right opportunity to come along now and then grab it with both hands.
Furey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum