Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Biggest Loser If Pacquiao vs Khan Goes Down? Mayweather

So, we've all heard the chatter the last few days about "tension" between the Pacquiao and Khan camps. Now, everything is supposedly fine and there is no rift, etc.

I guess we'll find out if that is true.

Anyways, as Khan mentioned, he seemed to think that Team Pac may be looking at a future fight with him (Khan). So, I took a step back and thought "Why in the world would Team Pac want to fight Amir Khan, another Freddie Roach fighter?"

Because of Floyd Mayweather, that's why.

You remember the talk about Mayweather-Martinez? Seems that is all a bunch of smoke. Steve Bunce has more on that story here:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

In other words, it doesn't look like that fight will happen.

Ok, then, so how does that relate to a possible Pacquiao-Khan fight?

Like this: If Mayweather isn't going to fight Martinez, then who IS he going to fight?

Amir Khan.

Unless, of course, Amir Khan is lured away from such a match-up and chooses to fight Pacquiao instead.

Now, this is just my speculation here. I'm not privy to any inside info on this score. But the pieces add up.

The supposed rumor is that Mayweather-Ortiz did bad PPV numbers. Ok, so Team Floyd needs to score big with their next opponent. Don't mention Pacquiao-Mayweather, please, that fight is an illusion that will almost certainly never happen.

So, who can help Floyd sell some PPV's? Khan can, especially in the UK. Which may have been why Floyd had an open workout (for UK fans) during Khan's fight week in Vegas recently (for Khan-Judah).

Floyd has some good grassroots support in the UK, the result of his win over Hatton. So, there is some "there" there in making a fight with Khan. And Khan is "sellable" to the American public.

Now, if you're Bob Arum, and you're not the biggest fan of Floyd Mayweather, what might be a tactic (besides possibly assisting in making sure Pac-Floyd never happens) you could conceive of to help limit Mayweather's opportunities?

You could take away a potential Mayweather golden goose in Khan

If Mayweather isn't going to fight Martinez, and he is forced to wait to fight Khan after Pacquiao possibly beats Khan, who is Mayweather going to fight next?

Alexander? Good luck with that.

Alvarez? Big in Mexico, not so big (yet) in the USA.

I'm not saying Pacquiao-Khan is going to happen. But, from a Team Pac perspective (meaning a Bob Arum perspective, in this case), I can understand why it could happen.

Floyd has made much of Pacquiao fighting Mayweather's "leftovers." Perhaps Team Pac wants to turn the tables this time?

Last edited by paulfv; 10-23-2011 at 11:54 AM.
paulfv is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
JASPER
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Biggest Loser If Pacquiao vs Khan Goes Down? Mayweather

Wow, one of the dumbest things I have ever heard! Sorry man but this is pretty stupid shit
JASPER is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASPER View Post

Wow, one of the dumbest things I have ever heard! Sorry man but this is pretty stupid shit
But it isn't. However, you have to think strategically to understand why this makes sense. This isn't checkers; it's multi-dimensional chess that is played by these guys.

Trust me -- this fight was never even on my radar screen. Until the last few days, when Khan came out with his remarks.

Don't put this past the Bobfather. Again, I'm not saying it will happen, but I could see it happening for exactly the reason I said.
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Apart from the obvious Roach factor, another reason why this fight is unlikely to happen is because Khan belongs to GBP. Sure, Khan is a sellable name, but TR and GBP would have to share the pot. Something they're not too keen on these days.

However, it is worth mentioning, that just before Arum stuck his fingers up to GBP for good, he did approach Khan's people for a fight with Pacquiao. Khan's dad wisely turned it away.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post

Apart from the obvious Roach factor, another reason why this fight is unlikely to happen is because Khan belongs to GBP. Sure, Khan is a sellable name, but TR and GBP would have to share the pot. Something they're not too keen on these days.

However, it is worth mentioning, that just before Arum stuck his fingers up to GBP for good, he did approach Khan's people for a fight with Pacquiao. Khan's dad wisely turned it away.
Interesting stuff.

Yeah, the GBP angle is definitely the biggest obstacle, in my mind. But, they have warmed up some to Top Rank recently, so we'll see.

As I said: I hadn't thought about this in the least, until Khan came out with what he said the other day. It always seemed impossible, to me, because of the Roach and Ariza factors, not to mention the GBP angle.
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
DDDUUDDDEE
Undisputed Ambien (taker)
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

I personally wouldn't want to watch it even if it did happen. It would be sad to see, two close friends kicking the shit out of each other like that. Not to mention the effect it'll probably have on Roach as well, what with Khan and Pac being his two top guys, he'll probably never be the same after.
DDDUUDDDEE is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Khan has a better chance to beat Pacman than Mayweather stylistically.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Hmmmm would be interesting to see this fight!

But do you think Bob Arum would risk Khan winning (anything could happen in a fight) and then Golden Boy controlling the WW devision with Khan and Mayweather?

I just don't see it...
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
dodong
>>PACQUIAO<<
East Side VIP

vCash: 115

if khan beats floyd, this fight wil definitely happen....too much money.

if not, pac will fight bradley, jones, rios, cotto-margo winner before khan even becomes an option.
dodong is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
DobyZhee
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 928

listen, if you're gonna spar each other, you might as well get paid for it..

I don't think its going to happen unless Roach wants to get paid twice.
DobyZhee is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
FORMIDABLE
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 275

This would be funny. It would be like a pre-emptive strike, with everyone knowing Floyd wants the Khan fight. It's better than a Bradley fight, but I don't care to see it right now. Pac would easily beat Khan with his shaky chin and Pac knowing his game having sparred with him and with Roach knowing his weaknesses. Ariza would probably choose to work with Pac aswell and Khan would likely be kicked out of the wildcard for this fight.
FORMIDABLE is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
DobyZhee
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 928

they need to add some drama like fighting over a skank or something..
DobyZhee is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #13
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Floyd fights the winner. Makes more money . That makes a winner as always.
rodney is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum