Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
IRONFIST178
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Is MMA worth watching or is it GARBAGE??

Im thinking about getting into some MMA.I dont really know any of the fighters or who to watch for.But everyone tells me its so much more exciting than my beloved boxing.What do yall think?
IRONFIST178 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
James23
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1218
Default Re: Is MMA worth watching or is it GARBAGE??

If you want to have a chance at liking MMA, develop an understanding of the grappling aspect and just how amazingly sophisticated and difficult it is and you'll be well on your way. (Speaking as someone who came from a striking background)
James23 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
PivotPunch
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

It isn`t better or worse than boxing, but bad boxing matches > bad mma matches aka lay n pray
PivotPunch is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Flash Jab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 100

Its garbage, don't watch it.
Flash Jab is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Boxing at is best is the most exciting but generally MMA trounces boxing for excitement.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
KO KIDD
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 835

depends

there was a long streak of bad cards ive went to see i remember really being disappointed by the entire card of Rampage vs Hamil

I remember being pretty annoyed by the last few GSP fights I saw

But then you will get some very good fights like the 2nd and 3rd Edgar vs Maynard fights

problems with MMA

laying matches- basically like clinching in boxing but on the ground, i understand grappling but sometimes the refs let the guy on top just stay there and do nothing, if the ref does his job right the fight gets stood up

Quick KO's- ok yes my username has KO in it but yes UFC is more exciting in the sense of its unpredictableness and its wild finishes but sometimes it can piss me off

now yes a good quick blast is always fun...everyone loved Tyson....but imagine paying for a card and then every fight is a 1 round KO...its happened before

quick submissions- ive seen fights where like 30 seconds in they trade wrestle a little then guy gets other guy to tap, fights over both guys get up hardly broke a sweat and are totally ok to continue

i understand the idea of the tap out that in a real fight the guy would just get his arm ****ed up or choked out but it can be frustrating sometimes except when its a great or rare submission

overall i think the best boxing matches are better than the best MMA fights
KO KIDD is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict

its all good however comparing boxing to mma is ****ing ridiculous i prefer watching boxing because it is much better in terms of excitement however mma is also pretty awesome when people are getting knocked the **** out, however the bad thing is when there lay n pray, and same comes to boxing whenever wladimir is boxing so yea upto you ae TIME CUNT!!!
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

MMA is pretty good im guessing your a fan of standup so check out Anderson Silva and Junior Dos Santos
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
IRONFIST178
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
MMA is pretty good im guessing your a fan of standup so check out Anderson Silva and Junior Dos Santos
Ok Ill look up those dudes on youtube
IRONFIST178 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It's garbage, save yourself the trouble and skip it.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Bad MMA and bad boxing are both horrible to watch, so that's a push. Great boxing is better than great MMA because in MMA there are so many ways to lose that a good bit of the time you don't really feel like the best guy won whereas in boxing it's really rare for the better guy to get knocked out before he can show his skill set.

The real reason that MMA is moving ahead of boxing in popularity isn't because it's somehow objectively "better" or "more exciting" as a sport, its that the structure of the sport is such that the best matchups (or at least really interesting ones) get made one after another after another and the champions are always fighting a contender that has at least some decent argument for why they should get a title shot. In boxing you can have champions fight cans and avoid other good fighters and it makes everything ****ing dull. If boxing had a league/union or some sort and not just ****ing promoters, it'd be much better off.
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #12
Hookercut
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

You will be very disappointed if you are accustomed to boxing.

Talent level is quite low , resulting in some fights that resemble schoolyard brawls.

Too much influence from WWE, which makes for more of a "spectacle" than a legitimate sport.

Wrestlers dominate the sport, making for boring wrassle****s.

All in all, stick with boxing.
Hookercut is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Good thread
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
The real reason that MMA is moving ahead of boxing in popularity isn't because it's somehow objectively "better" or "more exciting" as a sport, its that the structure of the sport is such that the best matchups (or at least really interesting ones) get made one after another after another and the champions are always fighting a contender that has at least some decent argument for why they should get a title shot. In boxing you can have champions fight cans and avoid other good fighters and it makes everything ****ing dull.
Exactly. I can count the amount of good boxing matchups that happened this year on one hand. Everyone's fighting cans on their way to a title shot, and there are very few high-profile matchups between the real elites of the divisions.

In MMA/the UFC, however, fights between top contenders are a matter of routine. Sonnen/Stann is a great example. In boxing they basically wouldn't fight each other, they would both beat up no-hopers until they take turns getting a shot at Anderson. Sonnen/Stann was an exciting, competitive matchup. Stann ended up getting dominated, but he's only a couple of wins away from getting right back into the mix. Stann won't go and beat 5 or 6 or 8 clubfighter nobodies in a row to get another chance for a title shot, like he would in boxing. He'll face another top-10 fighter, and if he wins that he'll fight a top 5 guy, if he wins that he's back at the front of the line and he will have earned his spot there. That's the way it should be.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #15
Shogun Assassin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Shit, only queers watch MMA.
Shogun Assassin is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum