boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #16
Hookercut
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Is MMA worth watching or is it GARBAGE??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Exactly. I can count the amount of good boxing matchups that happened this year on one hand. Everyone's fighting cans on their way to a title shot, and there are very few high-profile matchups between the real elites of the divisions.

In MMA/the UFC, however, fights between top contenders are a matter of routine. Sonnen/Stann is a great example. In boxing they basically wouldn't fight each other, they would both beat up no-hopers until they take turns getting a shot at Anderson. Sonnen/Stann was an exciting, competitive matchup. Stann ended up getting dominated, but he's only a couple of wins away from getting right back into the mix. Stann won't go and beat 5 or 6 or 8 clubfighter nobodies in a row to get another chance for a title shot, like he would in boxing. He'll face another top-10 fighter, and if he wins that he'll fight a top 5 guy, if he wins that he's back at the front of the line and he will have earned his spot there. That's the way it should be.

Stann wont go on to beat 5-8 club fighters in a row because he is a club fighter himself.
Hookercut is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #17
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWywinPUmy8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RNq28RQB08[/ame]
Primate is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2011, 02:20 AM   #18
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449

What a silly question to ask in the MMA forum

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2011, 03:33 AM   #19
aj415
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1181

I believe sooner rather then later we will all be more intimately acquainted with MMA bro, its beginning to move to the PAX channels now like boxing was in its heyday
aj415 is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2011, 05:03 AM   #20
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Exactly. I can count the amount of good boxing matchups that happened this year on one hand. Everyone's fighting cans on their way to a title shot, and there are very few high-profile matchups between the real elites of the divisions.

In MMA/the UFC, however, fights between top contenders are a matter of routine. Sonnen/Stann is a great example. In boxing they basically wouldn't fight each other, they would both beat up no-hopers until they take turns getting a shot at Anderson. Sonnen/Stann was an exciting, competitive matchup. Stann ended up getting dominated, but he's only a couple of wins away from getting right back into the mix. Stann won't go and beat 5 or 6 or 8 clubfighter nobodies in a row to get another chance for a title shot, like he would in boxing. He'll face another top-10 fighter, and if he wins that he'll fight a top 5 guy, if he wins that he's back at the front of the line and he will have earned his spot there. That's the way it should be.

you cant compare the 2 different sports like that, sometimes boxers need a fight to rebuild confidence, boxers can be destroyed mentally a lot easier than mma fighters because boxing is a limited sport compared to mma, if you lose in mma there are 1000's of reasons to blame your loss on and mental recovery is relatively easy, in boxing if you get dominated in the ring it can be a lot more devastating to a fighter, look at the amount of boxers who were never the same mentally or physically after 1 bad defeat, its also a lot more vicious of a sport in terms of head trauma and thats why prospects are brought along slowly, if you throw a prospect in with someone who does beat them that could be your prospect ruined
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 06:02 AM   #21
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Fighting = Entertainment= Worth Watching
Vitor Belfort is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #22
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict

mma is comprised of awesome atheletes that dont get paid as much a boxers.
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #23
Saber120

vCash: 1000

The quality of the top fighters has risen again in MMA. The standup has improved anouther level. Alot of the top guys have headmovement and can slip punches or use footwork to evade. It keeps taking anouther step up every 5 years or so. Im starting to watch it more as a result.

Last 2 UFCs have had some ****ing awesome fights on it. Usally the top level guys look a good deal better than the 2nd tier fighters.

So there is definatly some excellent fights in UFC. But there are also alot of **** ones just like boxing. Some fights in MMA are still incredibly sloppy and look like a street brawl but these are not usally championship fights.

In general the quality level will improve and there wont be so many ****ty looking street brawls.
Saber120 is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #24
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

My personal opinion is that it's garbage, but I sure loved seeing all those glass jaws shatter. If it wasn't for that rolling around on the ground ****, I might be interested.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #25
slugger3000
You Mad Bro?
East Side VIP

vCash: 9653

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONFIST178 View Post
Im thinking about getting into some MMA.I dont really know any of the fighters or who to watch for.But everyone tells me its so much more exciting than my beloved boxing.What do yall think?
MMA is a good sport.. Just think of it as a much different sport than boxing, because it is! I love boxing but I learned to appreciate MMA for what it is. The cool thing about MMA is the different styles!
slugger3000 is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #26
slugger3000
You Mad Bro?
East Side VIP

vCash: 9653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitor Belfort View Post
Fighting = Entertainment= Worth Watching
Its like a skilled street fight!
slugger3000 is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2011, 03:14 AM   #27
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

As a boxing fan, I'll watch MMA whenever its on, and I respect different disciplines and recognize their value, but half the time it's either a boring hold against the cage or on the ground, or what looks like two blind and drunk ex-boxers trying to hit each other.

Penn VS Diaz for example, while it included leg-kicks, knees, and some grappling, was still basically a lanky awkward robot throwing arm punches at a guy who looked like he had never heard of a maze bag. I'm not saying it to hate, because I think different disciplines are cool and have their own standards of technical difficulty, but I'm just expressing how I feel many times when trying to follow the sport. Maybe it's just because I box and put a lot of work into form and technique and can't stomach a non-purist application. Every once in a while it impresses me, but those trends seem consistent for me. Maybe it's the way the mix of styles has evolved over time? I don't know.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2011, 03:36 AM   #28
davidwatts
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

mma fighters are getting better and better. they've come a long way since the very early days of the ufc that i've seen on youtube.
so i hope someone who is trying to get into the sport doesn't just make and opionion of it from only watching those early fights.

yes some fights look like brawls but i like that, thats just a part of the sport. it doesn't happen that much.
same with the lay and pray. i personally haven't seen a lot of that either.

some things i'm not keen on: sometimes when a striker is against a wrestler, and you know once the striker gets taken down, thats it for the fight.
that only happens occasionally, obviously some strikers can battle their way back up again.

some fighters are given a title shot when they've only had a handful of fights.

quite a few fights tend to end in one round. thats really frustrating at times as you've been really looking forward to the fight for weeks. plus just because a guy knocks the other guy out inside a minute doesn't make him the better martial artist.
i can't see that there is a way of changing this though. anyway, i love knockouts!
i only mention this as a ufc card in the past had so many fights that never went past the first round and it ****ed me off.

but thats the nature of the sport, things can happen extremely quickly.

i love boxing. still do. its a different sport.
too many boxing fans are scared of mma, they seem to think of it as a replacement for their sport, which it ain't.
as for those boxing fans that are very uncomfortable[coz they think its ****] when an mma fight goes to the ground? grow up!
you're really only embarrassing yourselves.
davidwatts is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2011, 05:50 AM   #29
James23
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai-edy2007 View Post
mma is comprised of awesome atheletes that dont get paid as much a boxers.
".... don't get paid as much as a handful of boxers."
James23 is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2011, 07:41 AM   #30
sonyt
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by James23 View Post
".... don't get paid as much as a handful of boxers."
Pacquiao and Mayweather earn more money a year, than the total of all the ufc fighters.
and then there are still 20 more boxer, how made same kind of money what top ufc fighters make.
sonyt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum