Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2007, 03:55 AM   #16
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Fife, Scotland.
Posts: 2,848
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if boxers fought with those 4-ounce MMA gloves?

I think boxing gloves should be downsized to maybe 8oz.
The gloves now are ridiclous, 12oz? who the **** wants to watch a pillow fight. The excitement of boxing starting to slip due to these massive pillo....oh, gloves.

There would also be far far fewer deaths with smaller gloves.
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2007, 04:03 AM   #17
Krippy
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 73
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if boxers fought with those 4-ounce MMA gloves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke
I think boxing gloves should be downsized to maybe 8oz.
The gloves now are ridiclous, 12oz? who the **** wants to watch a pillow fight. The excitement of boxing starting to slip due to these massive pillo....oh, gloves.

There would also be far far fewer deaths with smaller gloves.
Care to elaborate?
Krippy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:07 AM   #18
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Fife, Scotland.
Posts: 2,848
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if boxers fought with those 4-ounce MMA gloves?

Elaborate on what?
The less deaths part?

Last edited by Vulgar Display Of Power; 02-15-2006 at 12:57 AM.
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:01 AM   #19
theunderdog
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Angeles City, Pampanga, Philippines
Posts: 3,908
vCash: 166
Default Re: What if boxers fought with those 4-ounce MMA gloves?

.....malinaggi would no longer have a jaw, vitali and vargas would no longer have an eye, zab would no longer be able to reproduce... among other things
theunderdog is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:02 AM   #20
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,506
vCash: 75
Default Re: What if boxers fought with those 4-ounce MMA gloves?

Well, a knockout is nothing but a safety mechanism by the body -- you're being hurt too much, stop what you're doing. A knockout usually accomplishes just that in a boxing or MMA-ring.

Prolonged blows cushioned is a far greater health risk.
Shake is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:03 AM   #21
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,506
vCash: 75
Default Re: What if boxers fought with those 4-ounce MMA gloves?

That said, I shiver at the thought of Lennox Lewis with 4oz gloves.
Shake is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:08 AM   #22
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,506
vCash: 75
Default Re: What if boxers fought with those 4-ounce MMA gloves?

Because... Jack Johnson and co knew how to defend themselves?

Because...they were defending against a single kind of attack, from the hands of their opponent, instead of low kicks/high kicks/punches/takedowns/headbutts/standing chokeholds/leglocks/armlocks/etc?

Because...MMA fighters pretty much suck at boxing?
Shake is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:19 AM   #23
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,506
vCash: 75
Default Re: What if boxers fought with those 4-ounce MMA gloves?

Way to try and come off as an intellectual.

What is your point, exactly?
Shake is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:29 AM   #24
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,506
vCash: 75
Default Re: What if boxers fought with those 4-ounce MMA gloves?

I haven't seen anything complex so far. I think one guy tried to bring some kind of philosofical concept into a discussion about boxing, but besides that, pretty straight-forward.
Shake is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:55 AM   #25
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Fife, Scotland.
Posts: 2,848
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if boxers fought with those 4-ounce MMA gloves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Legend
rather than assume a bunch of complex notions, we come right back to the simplest conclusion. MMA fighters have glass jaws.
Another simple conclusion would be that your ignorant and a complete ****tard.
Thats a better one.

Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:08 AM   #26
DonPrestige
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 572
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if boxers fought with those 4-ounce MMA gloves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake
Because... Jack Johnson and co knew how to defend themselves?

Because...they were defending against a single kind of attack, from the hands of their opponent, instead of low kicks/high kicks/punches/takedowns/headbutts/standing chokeholds/leglocks/armlocks/etc?

Because...MMA fighters pretty much suck at boxing?
I think this is pretty much spot on, it would still be boxing with a few more knockouts. To be honest I think that for boxing 4 ounce gloves are too small but smewhere in between is better due to the point that there is a reason boxing gloves got bigger in the first place, protection. But the gloves these days are rediculous sometimes.
DonPrestige is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:20 AM   #27
dwilson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: What if boxers fought with those 4-ounce MMA gloves?

It would be nice to see a reduction on glove size but 4oz would be too big of a step at the moment. It would lead to very exiting and short fights but your technitions and skillfull boxers would lose out big time. Imagine some of the big recent fights if they had been fought with the use of this size glove?
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:49 AM   #28
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if boxers fought with those 4-ounce MMA gloves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravtrav
everybody would have a glass chin
not sure boxers are used to tons of punishment which prepares them for a shot and does train the chin.

but remember why boxing changed to hese gloves is becuase it broke hands easy easy easy...

thats why i feel like it wont be as good becuase combo's will be less useful and will be more of a clinch fest than anything to not get hit
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:52 AM   #29
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if boxers fought with those 4-ounce MMA gloves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Nah not true really, as most boxing deaths result as a case of accumulated punishment, and with these gloves there would be no accumulated punishment, more quick KO's though. There have 0 deaths in MMA.
true but what killed men earlier was accumilated punishment as well with small gloves smaller gloves just helps the cause bareknuckle would be different as there is a slight rareity to put all your wieght onto the punch
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:59 AM   #30
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if boxers fought with those 4-ounce MMA gloves?

actually think about the cultural things about this it would do to boxing.

what boxing is famous for is those 12oz leather gloves it's a symbol of boxing. to change them would get rid of it's original gloves there is a reason why bareknuckle fighters arent regarded as boxers becuase it was a different sport think about all this evolution of boxing just to be thrown out becuase peolpe want to see to untrained brawlers go toe to toe.


young kids wouldnt be able to join a gym becuase it's to rough it woulod destroy the basic group/intake/base that would join a gym.
why boxing would only be a tougman contest
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013