Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,024
vCash: 1000
Default fine im stating it lennox lewis is top 5 heavywieght of all time

give me a reason why he shouldnt be thought as the best heavywieght champion

fought EVERYONE

3 times world champion
beat every man he went into the ring with
cemented his reign with koes wins over the best of the era (and it was not weak as ld timers claim to discredit himand improve the earlier boxers.
only one world champion he didnt face and that was bowe who ducked him openly
unification fight twice (rarely ever done once)
never ever dodged anyone
great technician
outside was genius
inside a slugger
tools- the jab the right hand the left hook the uppercut the clinch the combinations the power the speed especially being 6'6

why do you all discredit him and feel he is overated and hyped
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Muchmoore
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: fine im stating it lennox lewis is top 5 heavywieght of all time

I rank him 7th. I have no fight with people who have him top 5.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:06 PM   #3
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: fine im stating it lennox lewis is top 5 heavywieght of all time

Lewis deserves to be in the top 10.
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: fine im stating it lennox lewis is top 5 heavywieght of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Hey Robbi, is it me, or does Whitaker look like Marvin Hagler with hair in my avatar? I think he looks JUST like him.
Nope, he looks just like Pernell Whitaker. I have some good Whitaker avatars in my collection, but yours takes some beating.
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: fine im stating it lennox lewis is top 5 heavywieght of all time

Arguably he's top 5...I have him 7th
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: fine im stating it lennox lewis is top 5 heavywieght of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novirasputin
Yea its kind of easy to beat every man you faced when you fight the likes of Rahman and washed up Tyson (who even Danny williams and KEVIN ****IN McBride can beat).


The reason Lewis is behind the likes of Holyfield, Holmes, and Foreman is precisely because he beat every man he ever faced since most of the guys he beat sucked and could have been defeated by many other fighters.

Golota?

Grant? Sure not his fault and all but the guy had a glass jaw and went nowhere.
dont get touchy with me madam.

tyson was beating williams actually beating him till his knee gave way and even then how many times was tyson hit on the way down 7 times or somthing from big puncher... just unlucky not becuase of a bd performance and he just starched etienne befor ehand in one round.

and whats wrong with rahman damn good fighter if i remember went to war with tua and lost in a very noble manner was totally giving a boxing lesson to maskaev until oleg stunned him. all he had was a weak chin and a stout body it was his right hand his jab his solid fighting ability. still fighting and won a champiosnhip belt again fought and got a draw with toney.
not a bad fighter.

golota was tipped to be the next heavwieght champ you saw what he did to bowe. always rose to the top was a good fighter aswell and being knocked the **** out in less than a minute.

and grant was purely hype but so what he had just a big enough punch to knock guys out have the size and reach to win. he had a glass jaw but only one man exposed it
(andrez galota incedentaly)
grant would of been ducked by any other champion becuase of his size and record. look at valuev he was a scary looking man 7' and had a huge record people were scared of him. chagaev showed that he was technically adept

and you chose all the worse fighter on his resume why dont you pick some better from his record ,yea? cool
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: fine im stating it lennox lewis is top 5 heavywieght of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Legend
13th
**** you man you dont have a list
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:40 PM   #8
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 19,095
vCash: 75
Default Re: fine im stating it lennox lewis is top 5 heavywieght of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novirasputin
Yea its kind of easy to beat every man you faced when you fight the likes of Rahman and washed up Tyson (who even Danny williams and KEVIN ****IN McBride can beat).


The reason Lewis is behind the likes of Holyfield, Holmes, and Foreman is precisely because he beat every man he ever faced since most of the guys he beat sucked and could have been defeated by many other fighters.

Golota?

Grant? Sure not his fault and all but the guy had a glass jaw and went nowhere.
There's a couple problems with your argument. No.1 Tyson was supposed to fight Lewis in 1996 but vacated his title instead of fighting him. No.2 you have Holyfield ahead of Lewis, but Lewis beat Holyfield. No.3 you say most of the guys he beat sucked, but can you name one top heavyweight from his era that he didn't fight? The only two that come to mind are Bowe(he openly ducked Lewis), and possibly Wlad(Lewis was supposed to fight him but then Wlad got knocked out by Sanders)
BigReg is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:48 PM   #9
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: fine im stating it lennox lewis is top 5 heavywieght of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigReg
There's a couple problems with your argument. No.1 Tyson was supposed to fight Lewis in 1996 but vacated his title instead of fighting him. No.2 you have Holyfield ahead of Lewis, but Lewis beat Holyfield. No.3 you say most of the guys he beat sucked, but can you name one top heavyweight from his era that he didn't fight? The only two that come to mind are Bowe(he openly ducked Lewis), and possibly Wlad(Lewis was supposed to fight him but then Wlad got knocked out by Sanders)
and did you know that tyson was a year younger than lewis who is out of prime?


and wlad was a bit late into the coming it was vitali who was the one to watch while wlad was on the slower approach just so he wouldnt have to fight vitali
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #10
jbrunner3
newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 26
vCash: 1000
Default Re: fine im stating it lennox lewis is top 5 heavywieght of all time

I agree. Lennox is arguably as high as 3 all-time. Don't like it? Let's look at Lennox vs. the contenders for the number 3 position. (I hope we don't have any arguments over Ali and Louis at 1 and 2).

Lennox vs. Larry Holmes- both in their primes, this is a great fight. Based on the fact that he used to be able to go 15 rounds, I give Holmes the edge by decision in this fight. Holmes had a great chin and a better jab than Lewis. Lewis would have his moments, but Larry would probably win this one with good, active boxing.

Lennox vs. Rocky Marciano- this would be a massacre. Lennox would have the advantage on the outside and the inside. I'm not saying that the Rock wouldn't connect (maybe even floor Lennox briefly if the fight went long) but Lewis wins this one by KO inside of 6-7 rounds.

Lennox vs. Jack Johnson- both cautious, tactical fighters. Lewis hits harder than Johnson and would likely have the size edge and maybe the better jab. Johnson lost to a big man in Willard and Lennox would probably be a slight favorite in this one with his huge right hand.

Lennox vs. Jack Dempsey- again, this is a great fight for Lewis. Dempsey would be inside flailing away and the strength advantage would just be too much. Like Marciano, Dempsey would have a puncher's chance, especially early but Lennox has it all over him from distance and/or muscling around on the inside.

Lennox vs. George Foreman- this could be an amazing fight. Both thunderous hitters, both with a jab and both huge. This fight would be a KO and either man could win. I'm inclined to think that Big George is more likely to floor Lennox than vice versa.

So, Lennox holds his own, at the very least, against the best fighters of all-time. His 41-2-1 record (let's face it, without the HOlyfield horsesh#t in their first fight, he was 42-2) is filled with quality fights (Ruddock, Tucker, Mercer, Golota, Holyfield(2), Rahman(2), Tua, Tyson and Klitschko). Lennox is my number 4 all-time. I just wish he'd fought Bowe in '93 and Wladimir in 2001.
jbrunner3 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:15 AM   #11
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 36,418
vCash: 1000
Default Re: fine im stating it lennox lewis is top 5 heavywieght of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novirasputin
The reason Lewis is behind the likes of Holyfield, Holmes, and Foreman is precisely because he beat every man he ever faced since most of the guys he beat sucked and could have been defeated by many other fighters.

Of course, this is a ridiculous thing to say, but just wondering where you have Joe Louis?
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:09 AM   #12
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: fine im stating it lennox lewis is top 5 heavywieght of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage_West
give me a reason why he shouldnt be thought as the best heavywieght champion

fought EVERYONE

3 times world champion
beat every man he went into the ring with
cemented his reign with koes wins over the best of the era (and it was not weak as ld timers claim to discredit himand improve the earlier boxers.
only one world champion he didnt face and that was bowe who ducked him openly
unification fight twice (rarely ever done once)
never ever dodged anyone
great technician
outside was genius
inside a slugger
tools- the jab the right hand the left hook the uppercut the clinch the combinations the power the speed especially being 6'6
Some good points.

I honestly think Lewis' stock will continue to rise and rise with time (ala Holmes) he's still not quite getting the recognition he deserves from some quarters, however. Not that long ago I rated him in and around the back reaches of the Top 10/just outside it- however, personally my respect for Lewis has grown ever since his retirement.

It's fair to say in that growing up watching Tyson, Lewis, Holyfield and Bowe from their early days that I always regarded Holyfield and Tyson to be my fave HW's- they just had a magnetic appeal that Lewis didn't seem to possess to the same extent. Lewis also tended to coast along on a play-it-safe mode in some fights, occasionally he fought down the the level of his 'lesser calibre' opponents (Phil Jackson and Željko Mavrović) wheareas the others tended to be more electrifying and exciting fighters in a gung-ho type sense.

Looking back, through time his quick-fire destructions of Grant, Golota and Ruddock were immensely impressive statements and rank amongst the best wins in the recent history of the HW division, defeating . Losing to McCall and Rahman were mere blips on the radar- both defeats he avenged. Much was made of Lewis' chin being supposedly china, however the Tua, Tyson, Bruno and Mercer fights showed that he had a good punch resistance when it came to soaking up acumulative shots.

He's definitely Top 10 of All-Time in terms of greatness (I have him #5), in terms of head-2-head combat you could argue for even higher.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:23 AM   #13
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: fine im stating it lennox lewis is top 5 heavywieght of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novirasputin
Yea its kind of easy to beat every man you faced when you fight the likes of Rahman and washed up Tyson (who even Danny williams and KEVIN ****IN McBride can beat).


The reason Lewis is behind the likes of Holyfield, Holmes, and Foreman is precisely because he beat every man he ever faced since most of the guys he beat sucked and could have been defeated by many other fighters.

Golota?

Grant? Sure not his fault and all but the guy had a glass jaw and went nowhere.
Utter claptrap.

Lewis called Tyson out as early in '96 but as we well know (not the fault of Lewis' camp) the fight was never sanctioned. Instead Mikey squared up with Holyfield (the supposedly easier option). We all know what happened in that one, eh. You can say whatever you wish about Lewis but he sure didn't avoid fighters. He ranks behind Holmes but ahead of the other two guys you've mentioned for sure.

Arrange the words "belt", "Riddick Bowe" and "trashcan" together to make a sentence and this suggests Lewis wasn't the chicken at all ...
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:56 AM   #14
Cojimar 1945
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 185
vCash: 1000
Default Re: fine im stating it lennox lewis is top 5 heavywieght of all time

One point one might make is that he failed to face Holyfield and Tyson in their primes so did not prove himself the better man in a head to head sense which casues confusion over who the best fighter of his era was. Had Holyfield beaten Lewis in the early to mid 90s he likely would be considered the superior fighter.
Cojimar 1945 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:31 AM   #15
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: fine im stating it lennox lewis is top 5 heavywieght of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage_West
give me a reason why he shouldnt be thought as the best heavywieght champion
It is not so much a matter of why he shouldn't. More a matter of who has a stronger claim.

It is quite a feat to break the top 5 at heavyweight taking into acount everybody since 1880.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013