boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
Woddy

vCash:
Default Who fought the most champions?

I'm wondering who fought the most fighters who at one point in time held a world title, in any weight division.

Here is just one example of what I'm looking for:

Muhammad Ali fought:

Sonny Liston
Floyd Patterson
Joe Frazier
Jimmy Ellis
Ernie Terrell
George Foreman
Ken Norton
Leon Spinks
Larry Holmes
Trevor Berbick
Archie Moore
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who fought the most champions?

Harry Greb must be a prety good call.

He fought 18 lineal champions in all I believe.

Last edited by Flatlander; 11-10-2006 at 12:58 PM.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
BIG DEE
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

BIG DEE HERE= I believe it was HARRY GREB as he fought and defeated 18 men who held or would hold world titles and not this half or quarter championship bull**** you have today. Eight divisions in boxing and one champion and all 100,000 Middleweights in the world are at your throat to get you. The men Harry greb beat were as follows MIDDLEWEIGHTCHAMPIONS Al McCoy, Mike O`Dowd, George Chip, Mickey Walker(Welterweight champ at the time of the defeat), Tiger Flowers, Johnny Wilson, Frank Klaus MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE CLAIMANTS
Eddie McGoorty, Jeff Smith, Bryan Downey, Frank Mantell, LT.HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONS Battling Levinsky, Jack Dillon, Mike McTigue, Tommy Loughran,
Jimmy Slattery and Maxie Rosenbloom FUTURE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION Gene Tunney. I think this puts this thread to rest as far as fighting champions goes and how many HALL of FAMERS BEING RING MAGAZINE OR THE ONE IN
CANASTOTA, NY. Actually 19 if you count Mickey Walker twice as a welterweight and a middleweight.
BIG DEE is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Harry Greb must be a prety good call.

He fought 18 lineal champions in all I believe.
yeah but back then only white people were allowed to fight for or become lineal champ, except for a few people. You're not really the undisputed champ if there is a coloured champ that has a strong claim to being superior.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
yeah but back then only white people were allowed to fight for or become lineal champ, except for a few people. You're not really the undisputed champ if there is a coloured champ that has a strong claim to being superior.
Wow..."brownpimp"... It is true the color line was unjustifiably drawn in that era...That is a total shame! BUT Greb was not one of those men, he fought EVERYONE....Problably the greatest career record in history.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Greb was one of the few champions of that period who had nothing to do with the colour line.

He would fight any man and most animals.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417
Wow..."brownpimp"... It is true the color line was unjustifiably drawn in that era...That is a total shame! BUT Greb was not one of those men, he fought EVERYONE....Problably the greatest career record in history.
Im not accusing him of ducking people, but alot of his 'extra' wins were very close newspaper decisions and no contests where people debate over who won. This is why his resume on this forum is turning into a mythical figure, people just want to give greb as many wins as possible so they can say he would smash monzon and hagler.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:06 PM   #8
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
Im not accusing him of ducking people, but alot of his 'extra' wins were very close newspaper decisions and no contests where people debate over who won.
This is a valid criticism. Some of his main wins are debatable.

That cuts both ways though. He arguably beat Gene Tunney 3 out of 5 times, but if he did he dosnt get the credit for it.

Quote:
This is why his resume on this forum is turning into a mythical figure, people just want to give greb as many wins as possible so they can say he would smash monzon and hagler.
If you took the most negative view of his resume possible it would still be better than the combined resumes of Monzon and Hagler in terms of who he beat.

Hard to say wether he would beat them but they would obviously have their hands full.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2007, 05:07 PM   #9
Woddy

vCash:

Thanks guys. It sounds like Harry Greb is the winner.

Last edited by counter punc; 11-10-2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:09 PM   #10
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[quote=janitor]
Quote:

This is a valid criticism. Some of his main wins are debatable.

That cuts both ways though. He arguably beat Gene Tunney 3 out of 5 times, but if he did he dosnt get the credit for it.

If you took the most negative view of his resume possible it would still be better than the combined resumes of Monzon and Hagler in terms of who he beat.

Hard to say wether he would beat them but they would obviously have their hands full.
well it depends on how you hold monzon and haglers opponents. To me, valdez, benvenuti, minter and antuofermo were all legit middleweight champs. Many of the middleweight champs greb beat didnt have to face blacks. Many of the light heavyweights greb beat didnt have to face blacks, tell me if i'm wrong buddy.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #11
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Im not accusing him of ducking people, but alot of his 'extra' wins were very close newspaper decisions and no contests where people debate over who won. This is why his resume on this forum is turning into a mythical figure, people just want to give greb as many wins as possible so they can say he would smash monzon and hagler.
That is true re newpaper decisions...I recently noticed a change in Greb's record re his fight with Kid Norfolk...They changed it to a 'W' for Greb...
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2007, 05:19 PM   #12
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417
That is true re newpaper decisions...I recently noticed a change in Greb's record re his fight with Kid Norfolk...They changed it to a 'W' for Greb...
exactly, if you have film, then yeah you can change it. But its all hypothetical. Not to mention that greb was an extremely dirty fighter, he would get dq'd all the time in todays era.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:20 PM   #13
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote=brownpimp88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
well it depends on how you hold monzon and haglers opponents. To me, valdez, benvenuti, minter and antuofermo were all legit middleweight champs. Many of the middleweight champs greb beat didnt have to face blacks. Many of the light heavyweights greb beat didnt have to face blacks, tell me if i'm wrong buddy.
You are right. Though there are a few notable exceptions like Maxie Rosenbloom for example.

However, they fought in an era when most of the top fighters were white for socio-economic reasons. If the colour line had not been there, then there would have been a few aditional black champions but most of these guys would still have held the title at some point.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2007, 05:21 PM   #14
Woddy

vCash:

The point of this thread was to determine who fought the most champions. Not who was favoured in a game of politics.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:21 PM   #15
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[quote=janitor]
Quote:

You are right. Though there are a few notable exceptions like Maxie Rosenbloom for example.

However, they fought in an era when most of the top fighters were white for socio-economic reasons. If the colour line had not been there, then there would have been a few aditional black champions but most of these guys would still have held the title at some point.
What is greb's resume at middleweight, this is what i always wanted to know. It seems like all his top wins were at 175, heavyweight or catch weight fights.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum