Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 04:27 PM   #16
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,459
vCash: 168
Default Re: Who fought the most champions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
exactly, if you have film, then yeah you can change it. But its all hypothetical. Not to mention that greb was an extremely dirty fighter, he would get dq'd all the time in todays era.
I'm not going there...if you want undisputable proof of Greb's greatness...It's right there in the record book...To try to imply anything different is ridiculous...He is one of the all timers.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2007, 04:28 PM   #17
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,548
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who fought the most champions?

[quote=brownpimp88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
What is greb's resume at middleweight, this is what i always wanted to know. It seems like all his top wins were at 175, heavyweight or catch weight fights.
You are right.

It is at light heavyweight that his record really shines. In all he defeated 7 lineal light heavyweight champions.

At heavyweight he beat most of Jack Dempseys title challengers.

He was a middleweight but he had to suffer to make the weight.

His middleweight record is not bad either.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:31 PM   #18
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,689
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who fought the most champions?

[quote=janitor]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88

You are right.

It is at light heavyweight that his record really shines. In all he defeated 7 lineal light heavyweight champions.

At heavyweight he beat most of Jack Dempseys title challengers.

He was a middleweight but he had to suffer to make the weight.

His middleweight record is not bad either.
so at middleweight alone, its not unreasonable to rank monzon and hagler above fitszimmons and greb. I mean they did do more at 160, right?
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:31 PM   #19
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,835
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who fought the most champions?

[quote=janitor]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88

You are right.

It is at light heavyweight that his record really shines. In all he defeated 7 lineal light heavyweight champions.

At heavyweight he beat most of Jack Dempseys title challengers.

He was a middleweight but he had to suffer to make the weight.
I remember Ted Carroll pointing out that both Greb and Walker did better than any other middleweights against bigger men, but that both stumbled some against men their own size or smaller. Could be weight making, or perhaps speed gave them problems.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:36 PM   #20
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,835
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who fought the most champions?

Nice Greb discussion, but Henry Armstrong might be the proper answer to this question.
Armstrong fought--Baby Arizmendi, Midget Wolgast, Juan Zurita, Mike Belloise, Frankie Klick, Benny Bass, Petey Sarron, Chalky Wright, Barney Ross, Lou Ambers, Ceferino Garcia, Lew Jenkins, Fritzie Zivic, Leo Rodak, Tippy Larkin, Sammy Angott, Beau Jack, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Slugger White.

That is 19 title claimants.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:36 PM   #21
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,548
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who fought the most champions?

[quote=brownpimp88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
so at middleweight alone, its not unreasonable to rank monzon and hagler above fitszimmons and greb. I mean they did do more at 160, right?
Wrong.

If you ask me who the best middleweight is, I will name the best fighter whose optimum weight was under 160 lbs.

I will not reward men who stay at 160 and periodically fight welterweights in my rankings.

If you want to be my No1 then get ready to take on the big boys.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:39 PM   #22
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,689
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who fought the most champions?

[quote=janitor]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88

Wrong.

If you ask me who the best middleweight is, I will name the best fighter whose optimum weight was under 160 lbs.

I will not reward men who stay at 160 and periodically fight welterweights in my rankings.

If you want to be my No1 then get ready to take on the big boys.
antuofermo, minter, hamsho, briscoe, sibson, monroe, watts, mugabi, roldan, finnegan, eugene hart, seales, are not real middleweight?
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #23
Woddy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Who fought the most champions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD FOGEY
Nice Greb discussion, but Henry Armstrong might be the proper answer to this question.
Armstrong fought--Baby Arizmendi, Midget Wolgast, Juan Zurita, Mike Belloise, Frankie Klick, Benny Bass, Petey Sarron, Chalky Wright, Barney Ross, Lou Ambers, Ceferino Garcia, Lew Jenkins, Fritzie Zivic, Leo Rodak, Tippy Larkin, Sammy Angott, Beau Jack, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Slugger White.

That is 19 title claimants.
Holy cow!!!

That is a lot of champions, although I'm not familiar enough with his era to know who those guys were. Very impressive though.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:35 PM   #24
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who fought the most champions?

[quote=janitor]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88

Wrong.

If you ask me who the best middleweight is, I will name the best fighter whose optimum weight was under 160 lbs.

I will not reward men who stay at 160 and periodically fight welterweights in my rankings.

If you want to be my No1 then get ready to take on the big boys.

You shouldn't detract from fighters for staying at 160 either though.

Not saying you personally do, but just as a general rule.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:37 PM   #25
heerko koois
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: veenwouden-netherlands
Posts: 1,122
vCash: 75
Default Re: Who fought the most champions?

Archie moore......
heerko koois is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:19 PM   #26
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 9,681
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who fought the most champions?

Harry Greb, Henry Armstrong,Archie Moore, in modern times Duran, he fought Marcel,Dejesus,Buchanan,Leonard,Palomino,Cuevas,Moore,Benitez,Hearns,Hagler,Barkley,Pazienza,Hiroshi Kobayashi,Guts Ishimatsu,Jorge Fernando Castro,Hector Camacho,William Joppy....I think thats 17 but not all wins
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013