Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who won round 9 of Barrera/Morales I?
Marco Antonio Barrera 8 66.67%
Erik Morales 3 25.00%
I couldn't seperate the two men 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Score That Round: Barrera/Morales I (Round 9)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYazzZEDkq0&feature=related[/ame]

Marco Antonio Barrera vs Erik Morales went toe to toe for 12 hard rounds at the Mandalay Bay in 2000. Round 9 isn't only one of the most exciting rounds of the 12, but it's also one of the more difficult ones to score, in my opinon. Whilst one man is clearly the busier, throwing a lot of shots, the other is landing the harder, more effective blows. The showier punches.

The start of round 9 begins at 7.15. Watch the round in its entirety and then score it. Do you like Morales work rate, or do you favour Marco's heavier blows.
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Hook!
Proud member of team G.
ESB Addict

vCash: 889
Default Re: Score That Round: Barrera/Morales I (Round 9)

I couldn't separate them, what a round
Hook! is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook! View Post
I couldn't separate them, what a round
The best round of the entire trilogy, in my opinion.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
Hook!
Proud member of team G.
ESB Addict

vCash: 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The best round of the entire trilogy, in my opinion.
I need to re watch all 3 fights properly, now that I am more than a casual.
Hook! is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
LancsTerrible
Different Forms of Game.
ESB Addict

vCash: 2238

I gave the round to Barrera on my scorecard. I'd watch it again but I'm half way through Black Rain.

EDIT: Having had a quick watch of the round again I had to bring it down to effective offence and defence. I felt that while Morales may have worked through the round a lot harder than Barrera, keeping up the offence while Barrera took a significant gap for a minute and half or so in the middle, he wasn't getting through with an awful lot for me. Barrera had those hands together protecting his face and his elbows dug in to protect his ribs and body during that period. Morales had success with th uppercut but didn't go to it enough. Barrera on the other hand was putting his combinations together beautifully when he was active, and landing pretty much every punch in them clearly, he was just let down by his work rate. On that...clear Barrera round.

Last edited by LancsTerrible; 10-30-2011 at 09:16 PM.
LancsTerrible is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Just gave it a quick view without sound, and I'll probably go with EM slightly.

MAB edged the first minute or so, with more meaningful combos and appearing to be the aggressor as he chased EM around. But then, in the middle of the round, EM dominates for a whole minute or so, with MAB not answering back that much. Finally, in the final third, they're pretty much even whilst trading. MAB does, however, end the round with that beautiful 3-punch counter-combination as EM misses with a right. But, that massive period where EM was dominating the action, stole the round for him, in my book.

(I'll probably watch it tomorrow and change my mind. That's the beauty of this fight)
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
Flexb
GQ Smooth
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Close but Barrera seemed to land the better shots and rocked Morales a couple times and closed the round strong.
Flexb is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
thanosone
I Am Eternal
ESB Senior Member

I think MAB landed cleaner shots because of the way the fight was being fought. But Morales just did more. That is how I see this round. MAB lands two great shots that wobble Morales. Then Morales just keeps landing for the rest of the round, till MAB again catches Morales with a good shot at the end of the round.
They should have had a fourth fight. Third should have been a draw. MAB and Morales gave us years of great fights. We should all be thankful for that. Win or lose, they came to fight and put on a show. Except for Pac vs MAB 2. MAB just fought to survive. And Morales vs Raheem. Morales didn't seem interested to be there.
thanosone is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanosone View Post
I think MAB landed cleaner shots because of the way the fight was being fought. But Morales just did more. That is how I see this round. MAB lands two great shots that wobble Morales. Then Morales just keeps landing for the rest of the round, till MAB again catches Morales with a good shot at the end of the round.
They should have had a fourth fight. Third should have been a draw. MAB and Morales gave us years of great fights. We should all be thankful for that. Win or lose, they came to fight and put on a show. Except for Pac vs MAB 2. MAB just fought to survive. And Morales vs Raheem. Morales didn't seem interested to be there.
Not saying I wouldn't pay to see it, but, that trilogy should be left the way it is. It's impossible to know what kind of state Barrera is in at the moment, and I'd hate to see him risk a fourth fight which could perform well below par compared to the rest. It's just not worth it, if you ask me. Some things are better left alone.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
Boom_Boom
R.I.P Boxing 6/9/12
East Side VIP

mab
Boom_Boom is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #11
thanosone
I Am Eternal
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Not saying I wouldn't pay to see it, but, that trilogy should be left the way it is. It's impossible to know what kind of state Barrera is in at the moment, and I'd hate to see him risk a fourth fight which could perform well below par compared to the rest. It's just not worth it, if you ask me. Some things are better left alone.
I meant right after the third fight. But Morales beat PAC after the third fight, so I guess it's cool.
thanosone is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Just gave it a quick view without sound, and I'll probably go with EM slightly.

MAB edged the first minute or so, with more meaningful combos and appearing to be the aggressor as he chased EM around. But then, in the middle of the round, EM dominates for a whole minute or so, with MAB not answering back that much. Finally, in the final third, they're pretty much even whilst trading. MAB does, however, end the round with that beautiful 3-punch counter-combination as EM misses with a right. But, that massive period where EM was dominating the action, stole the round for him, in my book.

(I'll probably watch it tomorrow and change my mind. That's the beauty of this fight)
Quote:

Agreed. The trilogy should be left alone.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #13
Bobo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 254

barrera
Bobo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum