Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
RJJFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,236
vCash: 448
Default Cus D'Amato's Style not used anymore?

It seems that not many other fighters have picked up on the peek-a-boo style that made Mike Tyson and Floyd Patterson. Is it only for certain type of fighters ala Tyson or is it just not as effective as the other styles?
RJJFan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
praetorianJJ
Conqueror of Worlds
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Picenum
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 647
Default Re: Cus D'Amato's Style not used anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJFan View Post
It seems that not many other fighters have picked up on the peek-a-boo style that made Mike Tyson and Floyd Patterson. Is it only for certain type of fighters ala Tyson or is it just not as effective as the other styles?
You know, I've always thought Tyson's defense looked more effective than it actually proved to be.
praetorianJJ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
RJJFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,236
vCash: 448
Default Re: Cus D'Amato's Style not used anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by praetorianJJ View Post
You know, I've always thought Tyson's defense looked more effective than it actually proved to be.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYZzMPsm6c4[/ame]
RJJFan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Leon
The Artful Dodger
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SBA
Posts: 20,130
vCash: 75
Default Re: Cus D'Amato's Style not used anymore?

they still teach it in the gym that Cus engineered Mike in
Leon is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cus D'Amato's Style not used anymore?

Lomachenko uses a peek a boo and Usyk uses one although its slightly varied since he's 6'3, not as much bobing and weaving underneath although he does do that.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lQ4EugHKUo[/ame]
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
praetorianJJ
Conqueror of Worlds
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Picenum
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 647
Default Re: Cus D'Amato's Style not used anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJFan View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Can't watch the entire clip. I'm on a work computer and my phone is struggling. The initial screen shot lloks to show one of Tyson's early victims. Do you think it would have held up against the calibre guys?
praetorianJJ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
Boxing Fanatic
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dominican Republic
Posts: 24,113
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cus D'Amato's Style not used anymore?

the closest is wyson, but, he doesnt fight anybody decent these days
Boxing Fanatic is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
stormy
Live and Learn
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: in the trenches
Posts: 1,450
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cus D'Amato's Style not used anymore?

The peek a boo style takes tremendous amounts of energy to do over 12 rounds. Tyson was best at it and the movement was fantastic for both offense and defense. Like everything,there is a use by date. after that things go into decline.
stormy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
CLUBBER
C.R.A.B. BOXING
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Quebec
Posts: 3,271
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cus D'Amato's Style not used anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxing Fanatic View Post
the closest is wyson, but, he doesnt fight anybody decent these days
I'm eager to see him step it up soon...He has'nt been very active lately...
CLUBBER is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
zarman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Cus D'Amato's Style not used anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by praetorianJJ View Post
Can't watch the entire clip. I'm on a work computer and my phone is struggling. The initial screen shot lloks to show one of Tyson's early victims. Do you think it would have held up against the calibre guys?
Yes, Tyson started to get caught when he stopped caring and just tried to blast guys out punch for punch
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
motownsiu
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: oakland, ca usa
Posts: 3,501
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cus D'Amato's Style not used anymore?

i remember when cotto first started, he did it in a few fights.
motownsiu is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #12
MonteFisto
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 51
vCash: 405
Default Re: Cus D'Amato's Style not used anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by praetorianJJ View Post
Can't watch the entire clip. I'm on a work computer and my phone is struggling. The initial screen shot lloks to show one of Tyson's early victims. Do you think it would have held up against the calibre guys?
Depends on the fighter i would guess. Vinny Pazienza trained with Rooney and didn't become a Mike Tyson.
MonteFisto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #13
KO KIDD
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,328
vCash: 835
Default Re: Cus D'Amato's Style not used anymore?

Cus aint around no more

not sure if Rooney trains many guys

Atlas doesnt train many and Povetkin isnt using it though i think it would work for his body type
KO KIDD is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 11,238
vCash: 75
Default Re: Cus D'Amato's Style not used anymore?

Alot of boxing techniques have dissapeared in recent years, there really aren't many guys who know how to teach specific styles anymore, old school trainers are in short supply.

Nazim Richardson, because he learned from Bouie Fisher
Nacho Berestain
Emmanual Steward
Teddy Atlas
The Ingle gym here in the UK

I struggle to think of many more, maybe Dan Birmingham

Emmanual Steward has started touring, teaching people how to train boxers, he has to explain the simplest things, even how to wrap a fighters hands.

Last edited by SJS19; 10-30-2011 at 10:44 PM.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:48 PM   #15
KO KIDD
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,328
vCash: 835
Default Re: Cus D'Amato's Style not used anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
Alot of boxing techniques have dissapeared in recent years, there really aren't many guys who know how to teach specific styles anymore, old school trainers are in short supply.

Nazim Richardson, because he learned from Bouie Fisher
Nacho Berestain
Emmanual Steward
Teddy Atlas
The Ingle gym here in the UK

I struggle to think of many more, maybe Dan Birmingham

Emmanual Steward has started touring, teaching people how to train boxers, he has to explain the simplest things, even how to wrap a fighters hands.
the closing of gyms and deaths of great trainers left us without many techniques and methods
KO KIDD is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013