TCboxa
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 346
Arrow I will retire Danny Green, says Pole

JONATHAN COOK, WARSAW,
The West Australian
October 28, 2011, 6:26 am

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

World Boxing Council cruiserweight champion Krzysztof Wlodarczyk says he has the power to send Danny Green into retirement when they meet at Challenge Stadium on November 30.

Green, 38, was stopped for the first time in his career when his corner pulled him out after the ninth round against Antonio Tarver in July, sparking speculation that the popular Perth fighter would hang up his gloves.

But after initially seeking a rematch with Tarver, Green turned to Wlodarczyk and the prospect of claiming the Pole's prestigious WBC belt.
That move, according to Wlodarczyk, could be Green's ticket to the boxing scrap heap.

Speaking exclusively to The West Australian from the Knockout Gym in the Wawrzyszew area of Warsaw, Wlodarczyk said the wrong approach to the fight could be the end of Green's career.

"I have retired not one fighter if Danny Green chooses to go inside and fight with me, I might retire him," Wlodarczyk said yesterday through an interpreter.

Green has built a reputation as a fearsome puncher, stopping 27 of his 31 victims inside the distance, but Wlodarczyk made light of the power of the former International Boxing Organisation cruiserweight champion.

The Pole said Green was not a genuine cruiserweight and had not carried his punching power up with him from his super-middleweight days.

"Danny Green was a very good fighter at super-middleweight and light-heavyweight but when he came to the cruiserweights he's not that dangerous," Wlodarczyk said.

"I don't think size will be the main issue because I don't think Danny Green is a really hard puncher at cruiserweight.

"If the knockout comes, it will be on my side."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The Pole's claims conflict with Green's trainer Angelo Hyder, who believes his charge has the power to knock out some heavyweights.

In his six fights at the 90.7kg cruiserweight limit, Green has stopped four opponents, scored a points win over BJ Flores and lost to Tarver.

He took just five rounds to stop Argentina's Julio Cesar Dominguez in a battle for the IBO title, blew away Roy Jones Jr in one and dispatched blown-up middleweight Manny Siaca in three rounds.

A 29-second stoppage of Paul Briggs is more of a stain than a highlight on Green's record after an inquiry revealed his rival had participated in a "sham contest".

But Wlodarczyk is adamant Green is yet to face a world-class, genuine cruiserweight.

"With all respect to him, he has never boxed a real cruiserweight and it will be a big move up for him to fight a real strong cruiserweight," Wlodarczyk said.

"There is one thing that I'm sure of and that is I'm hitting much harder than Danny Green."

Wlodarczyk, who has won 45 of his 48 fights, stopping 32 opponents inside the distance, looked to be hitting hard during a pad session this week. But he said there was much better to come.
"I'm not there yet but every day it gets better," he said.

Wlodarczyk's two defeats came via a majority points loss in a failed defence of his International Boxing Federation cruiserweight title to Steve Cunningham in 2007 and a controversial technical decision against Pavel Melkomyan in 2003.

Jonathan Cook travelled to Warsaw with the assistance of Green Machine Boxing.

----------------------------------------------

Does anyone know why the fck sports tab have not open betting yet for this fight?

Last edited by TCboxa; 10-31-2011 at 06:30 PM.
TCboxa is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
raff
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1090
Default Re: I will retire Danny Green, says Pole

dunno tc, ask officer dibble.
raff is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
TCboxa
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by raff View Post
dunno tc, ask officer dibble.
whos officer dibble? lol
Old 10-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
raff
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1090

wasn he the cop in the alleyway where top cat & his cats used to hang?
raff is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
TCboxa
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by raff View Post
wasn he the cop in the alleyway where top cat & his cats used to hang?
pmsl, nice one. I forget ive got that avatar at times..

Old 10-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
stiflers mum
Gartlett nuthugger #1
East Side Guru

vCash: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCboxa View Post
JONATHAN COOK, WARSAW,
The West Australian
October 28, 2011, 6:26 am

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

World Boxing Council cruiserweight champion Krzysztof Wlodarczyk says he has the power to send Danny Green into retirement when they meet at Challenge Stadium on November 30.

Green, 38, was stopped for the first time in his career when his corner pulled him out after the ninth round against Antonio Tarver in July, sparking speculation that the popular Perth fighter would hang up his gloves.

But after initially seeking a rematch with Tarver, Green turned to Wlodarczyk and the prospect of claiming the Pole's prestigious WBC belt.
That move, according to Wlodarczyk, could be Green's ticket to the boxing scrap heap.

Speaking exclusively to The West Australian from the Knockout Gym in the Wawrzyszew area of Warsaw, Wlodarczyk said the wrong approach to the fight could be the end of Green's career.

"I have retired not one fighter if Danny Green chooses to go inside and fight with me, I might retire him," Wlodarczyk said yesterday through an interpreter.

Green has built a reputation as a fearsome puncher, stopping 27 of his 31 victims inside the distance, but Wlodarczyk made light of the power of the former International Boxing Organisation cruiserweight champion.

The Pole said Green was not a genuine cruiserweight and had not carried his punching power up with him from his super-middleweight days.

"Danny Green was a very good fighter at super-middleweight and light-heavyweight but when he came to the cruiserweights he's not that dangerous," Wlodarczyk said.

"I don't think size will be the main issue because I don't think Danny Green is a really hard puncher at cruiserweight.

"If the knockout comes, it will be on my side."

The Pole's claims conflict with Green's trainer Angelo Hyder, who believes his charge has the power to knock out some heavyweights.

In his six fights at the 90.7kg cruiserweight limit, Green has stopped four opponents, scored a points win over BJ Flores and lost to Tarver.

He took just five rounds to stop Argentina's Julio Cesar Dominguez in a battle for the IBO title, blew away Roy Jones Jr in one and dispatched blown-up middleweight Manny Siaca in three rounds.

A 29-second stoppage of Paul Briggs is more of a stain than a highlight on Green's record after an inquiry revealed his rival had participated in a "sham contest".

But Wlodarczyk is adamant Green is yet to face a world-class, genuine cruiserweight.

"With all respect to him, he has never boxed a real cruiserweight and it will be a big move up for him to fight a real strong cruiserweight," Wlodarczyk said.

"There is one thing that I'm sure of and that is I'm hitting much harder than Danny Green."

Wlodarczyk, who has won 45 of his 48 fights, stopping 32 opponents inside the distance, looked to be hitting hard during a pad session this week. But he said there was much better to come.
"I'm not there yet but every day it gets better," he said.

Wlodarczyk's two defeats came via a majority points loss in a failed defence of his International Boxing Federation cruiserweight title to Steve Cunningham in 2007 and a controversial technical decision against Pavel Melkomyan in 2003.

Jonathan Cook travelled to Warsaw with the assistance of Green Machine Boxing.

----------------------------------------------

Does anyone know why the fck sports tab have not open betting yet for this fight?
Because of Danny's shenannigans in the past and the Poles mental illness and financial problems they may be reluctant to take bets fearing another Briggs type scenario.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
StiffJab
Butcher Berridge
ESB Addict

vCash: 2746

You might be onto something.....
StiffJab is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
TCboxa
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiflers mum View Post
Because of Danny's shenannigans in the past and the Poles mental illness and financial problems they may be reluctant to take bets fearing another Briggs type scenario.
Ive sent Tabcorp an email asking them for clarification, they should respond within 24hrs. seems funny they have no betting options for this fight whilst other online betting sites do.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
frankd01
Journeyman

vCash: 500

I see this as a fairly risky fight for Green and would not be suprised if he gets stopped again. If the Pole is on his game he will be a very dangerous opponant.

Props to Green for taking this fight and he deserves some credit for this. After many sub-par opponents in recent years, excluding Tarver and BJ Flores, I am happy with this fight.
frankd01 is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
stiflers mum
Gartlett nuthugger #1
East Side Guru

vCash: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCboxa View Post
Ive sent Tabcorp an email asking them for clarification, they should respond within 24hrs. seems funny they have no betting options for this fight whilst other online betting sites do.
I have NFI why. I just threw that out there to upset Buster.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2011, 01:07 AM   #11
jb1
REFLECTION OF PERFECTION
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

I wonder if it upsets TC that Green has won a legitimate world title off a title holder when Mundine still has not done so or that Geale has also won a legitimate title please note I am not a Green fan TC I just don't understand why you hate him so much when Mundine talks so much more shit Greens caliber of opponent is alot higher than anthonys at the moment ???
jb1 is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2011, 01:42 AM   #12
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Danny boy's in the shit here IF Wlod is anywhere near his best . We might well indeed see Dan take another shellacking as we did in the Tarver fight , maybe Danny has taken two fights too many ? One things for sure though and that's IMO Win , lose or dreaded draw Danny will be going out with his head held high after fighting class and winning a genuine world title during his career . Good luck to you Danny .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2011, 01:52 AM   #13
dawsosj
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
Danny boy's in the shit here IF Wlod is anywhere near his best . We might well indeed see Dan take another shellacking as we did in the Tarver fight , maybe Danny has taken two fights too many ? One things for sure though and that's IMO Win , lose or dreaded draw Danny will be going out with his head held high after fighting class and winning a genuine world title during his career . Good luck to you Danny .
great post mate, even though a few of his opponents have been lacklustre in more recent times, hes made up for it and hes brought boxing back into the public eye in australia, i think even if he wins he will hang the gloves up or maybe have one defence, but it should be a good fight , with danny were never going to be left guessing he will leave it all in there.
dawsosj is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2011, 03:26 AM   #14
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Danny did hit a patch when he was fighting lesser skilled or shot fighters but nothing will alter the fact he fought class like Tarver & Wold in what could possibly be his last two fights , all you Aussies and indeed boxing fans in general need now is for Choc to rematch Geale and all will be forgotten a few years down the pipe .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2011, 04:43 AM   #15
ATP
Fringe Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 4000

Im keen to watch this fight.....as its been said before, i hope diablo shows up to fight
ATP is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum