hopkinsfan07 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2007, 11:37 PM   #2
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holyfield - Dempsey

I think that Evander peaked after he first loss to Bowe, even though he got a few health concerns a little later. This is when he learned that technique, and strategy, were just as important as his heart. The Holyfield that fought Tyson would beat Dempsey.

The Holyfield that lost to Riddick Bowe was too willing to trade with his opponent, and simply try to outwill him. This would not have worked against Dempey.

You said the fight would be at 190, so I'm going to say that Evander would have yet to learn his lesson at this point. Dempsey by ko round 9. It is hard to picture.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 12:11 AM   #3
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'll disagree with you on one point, Rek........the peak Holyfield in my opinion was at cruiserweight.

His march to heavy came at an opportune time for him, as he was just reaching his physical peak, but that jump also meant he couldn;t steamroll guys as he had been. Suddenly, he had to adjust and be more opportunistic and finesse his way through certain situations he could just by physical with at 190. In short, he had to compromise overall effectiveness for guile at heavyweight. He had to squeak by. Therefore, I can't call him a peak fighter at heavy.

I do agree that Dempsey stops him, though. Dempsey would be like Qawi the first time around, but more mobile and harder-punching.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 12:46 AM   #4
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Dempsey would catch him.Cant say when but he would take Holy out.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 01:04 AM   #5
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert ungurean
Dempsey would catch him.Cant say when but he would take Holy out.
I'm a big, big Holyfield fan, but Jack Dempsey is one of the most underrated HW champs today and I'm inclined to agree. Dempsey didn't fold like Tyson when people weren't afraid of him, he just kept coming. He'd get Evander. If Bowe could take Evander out, the Manassa Mauler sure could.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 01:10 AM   #6
UpWithEvil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
I'll disagree with you on one point, Rek........the peak Holyfield in my opinion was at cruiserweight.
I agree with this, Evander was an incredibly dominant fighter as a cruiserweight; the explosive, 185lb Holyfield has it all over the "grinder" 210lb Holyfield.
UpWithEvil is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 01:25 AM   #7
hopkinsfan07
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1305

you are all saying dempsey would ko him but holyfield had a great chin even more so at cruiserweight
hopkinsfan07 is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 01:33 AM   #8
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinsfan07
you are all saying dempsey would ko him but holyfield had a great chin even more so at cruiserweight

............Sure he did, but anyone can be hurt. He was shaken a couple times by a far softer puncher in Qawi at that weight. Qawi was no Dempsey in the power department. He was also faster than Qawi.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 01:37 AM   #9
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Holyfield wins a dirty match on points, close decision.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 03:00 AM   #10
UpWithEvil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinsfan07
Holyfield could take a better punch as a heavyweight than he could at cruiser - the most amazing thing about his steroid-fueled physical transformation under the guidance of Lee Haney was Holyfield's massive neck. That's the reason Evander could go toe-to-toe with Riddick Bowe and George Foreman.

In every other aspect of boxing, however, Holy the Heavy was inferior to the cruiserweight. Were they to somehow meet in the ring, I'd take the cruiserweight incarnation over the heavyweight championship edition by a solid JD.
UpWithEvil is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 06:02 AM   #11
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Physically, Holyfield may have been at his peak at 190. His technique, and willingness to stick to game plan was not. He had the ability before the Bowe fight to be as good as he became in his 30's. Watch the 1st round, of his 1st encounter, with Riddick Bowe. That was an excellent way to try to fight Bowe. The problem is that he was willing to throw any strategy out the window and try to outwill his opponent as soon as he got his bell rung, or wanted to get even with his opponent. Holyfield had some memorable trades because of this flaw, so I am glad he had it. Stewart, Cooper, Bowe, great exchanges.

It was not until he lost his first fight using his will that he was willing to follow a game plan.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 08:36 AM   #12
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

I don't see Dempsey losing to Holyfield. Evander needed a solid chin, because he got hit so much. He also has a body beneath his jaw, something Jack would not have overlooked.

Muscling Dempsey back wouldn't work as it did against Tyson, because of Jack's footspeed and lateral mobility.

Because of Evander's huge heart, this would need to be stopped by his corner or the referee.

Dempsey RET or RSC 8 Holyfield
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 08:41 AM   #13
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Dempsey had the real firepower here, I pick Dempsey by a stop but the older(championship era) Dempsey was not as fit and would give up stamina to Holyfield, could be outworked prime vs prime Dempsey by a stop
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 08:48 AM   #14
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Dempsey stops him. Holyfield like the warrior he is gives a game performance, but goes out on his shield late on in the contest.

I agree with Duodenum (to an extent) that muscling Dempsey back wouldn't work as effectively as it did against Tyson in '96. A pre-Buster Douglas Tyson did have this aforementioned footspeed and lateral mobility on the same level as Dempsey- the version Holy faced did not.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #15
Icemmann
Breakin it down.
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Are you guys nuts? Holyfield would headbutt him into submission.
Icemmann is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum