Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #31
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: Best time to do your roadwork?

Quote:
Specificity, innit?

Train exactly like you compete is what you;re saying, no?
No what im saying is imo running for an hour isnt the best option for boxing and that the hour could be better utilised for other excercises which would help more.
pichuchu is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #32
mcguirpa
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichuchu View Post
No what im saying is imo running for an hour isnt the best option for boxing and that the hour could be better utilised for other excercises which would help more.
I'm just saying as long as you don't only train 1 hour a day you're talking tosh
mcguirpa is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #33
puertorricane
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Why do you run 5 miles or for an hour every day? Aren't you meant to be training for boxing, not running?
Quote:
This.

5 miles or an hour run evey day is pointless, unless you're a runner of course, then it makes sense.
Quote:
both of you guys are clueless as to what it takes to be in shape, first of all the running is done to build up cardiovascular endurance,

yeah you can do other exercises but running is the best one of all, you can also incorporated swimming, hills, bike but the bottom line is running is the best one

also the job you do in the gym is specific to boxing, is tactical and technique as well as fitness...

running has been a part of every boxers training in history and will always be a integral part of boxing training

puertorricane is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #34
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by puertorricane View Post
both of you guys are clueless as to what it takes to be in shape, first of all the running is done to build up cardiovascular endurance,

yeah you can do other exercises but running is the best one of all, you can also incorporated swimming, hills, bike but the bottom line is running is the best one

also the job you do in the gym is specific to boxing, is tactical and technique as well as fitness...

running has been a part of every boxers training in history and will always be a integral part of boxing training

1. Being able to run a few miles a day does not mean you're "in shape".
2. A boxer does not have to run at all. Running is cardio and only cardio, nothing special at all. You can row, swim, cycle, whatever, it's all cardio.
3. The distance boxers run is shorter and more intense. It's also done fewer times each week.

Explain why you think running is superior to all of the other forms of cardio available. Do you actually understand what cardio is?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #35
thehook13

Running has a fair few more benefits than just pure cardio. I know the point you're trying to make but yeah...
thehook13 is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #36
mcguirpa
Contender
ESB Senior Member

No, but it certainly helps

2. A boxer does not have to run at all. Running is cardio and only cardio, nothing special at all. You can row, swim, cycle, whatever, it's all cardio.
Wrong

3. The distance boxers run is shorter and more intense. It's also done fewer times each week.
Means nothing. By your reasoning tour de france cyclists should only ever train on a bike, tennis players should only ever train for 10s at a time, footballers should do all their fitness training by jogging 10m sprinting 5 then walking 10 for 90 minutes.
mcguirpa is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 05:24 AM   #37
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirpa View Post

Wrong

Means nothing. By your reasoning tour de france cyclists should only ever train on a bike, tennis players should only ever train for 10s at a time, footballers should do all their fitness training by jogging 10m sprinting 5 then walking 10 for 90 minutes.
Tennis is more of an endurance sport than boxing or soccer so they would include some longer runs along with their interval training. Soccer players don't go for long runs every morning, who are you kidding. They might go for a few at the beginning of the off season to get a bit of base fitness and that's it. To get into match fitness they do interval training. They don't do it for 90 minutes, the point of getting fit from interval training is to do the work part at higher than VO2max pace, during the rest part the body recovers to the point where you are able to run at that intensity again. The longer you can keep your body at that level the more your fitness improves. You can't keep up that intensity for 90 minutes obviously but during a soccer game you're not running constantly are you? You might sprint 30 times during the match but from gps tracking we know that for most of the match players are moving very slowly, you don't need to be fit for that, you need to be able to sprint then recover as quickly as you can.
You don't get fitter by running long distance, to improve VO2max or the lactic threshold you need to work at high intensities.
The only reason a boxer should be running for an hour in the morning is to lose weight, if he thinks he's getting himself in shape by doing that he doesn't know what he's doing. Or he's training for a twelve round title fight so is including some longer distance work to accomodate that.
An amateur or someone who isn't fighting a 12 round fight is stupid for running in the mornings if he doesn't have to (if you're completely unfit and haven't trained in a while then it'll help with fitness however), just wasting energy for no reason.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #38
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
It'll help yes, but it doesn't mean you're in shape which is what I said.

Quote:
Wrong
Okay, I'll give you the same question - why do you think running a requirement for a boxer?

Quote:
Read Lefty's post above.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 06:59 AM   #39
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehook13 View Post
Running has a fair few more benefits than just pure cardio. I know the point you're trying to make but yeah...
I don't get what you're trying to say? Running is pure cardio... What are the benefits of running over cycling, swimming and rowing?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #40
mcguirpa
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
It'll help yes, but it doesn't mean you're in shape which is what I said.
OK, here's the rub: If it helps, why are you giving the lad a hard time about it? Is it to his detriment, fitness wise, to do a 1 hour run in addition to his boxing training?

Quote:
Okay, I'll give you the same question - why do you think running a requirement for a boxer?
I never said it was, I merely said it helps. Running helps with all kinds of things. For example the shorter distance runs (5-10 km) are excellent from a mental perspective. As long as you're not training for a marathon and expecting to be in exactly the right shape to be a boxer there really is no problem. You're just making a mountain out of a molehill to try to come across as someone who knows what he's talking about.

Quote:
Read Lefty's post above.
I'll come back to that later.
mcguirpa is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #41
mcguirpa
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I don't get what you're trying to say? Running is pure cardio... What are the benefits of running over cycling, swimming and rowing?
Running isn't pure cardio. When you come out with stuff like this I'm really not sure you have any idea what you're talking about. If running was pure cardio your legs wouldn't ache afterwards.
mcguirpa is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #42
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
OK, here's the rub: If it helps, why are you giving the lad a hard time about it? Is it to his detriment, fitness wise, to do a 1 hour run in addition to his boxing training?
If his goal is general fitness and to be a runner ok. To a boxer running 5 miles every day is pointless. That was my point.

Quote:
I never said it was, I merely said it helps. Running helps with all kinds of things. For example the shorter distance runs (5-10 km) are excellent from a mental perspective. As long as you're not training for a marathon and expecting to be in exactly the right shape to be a boxer there really is no problem. You're just making a mountain out of a molehill to try to come across as someone who knows what he's talking about.
Running does help, I never said otherwise. What I said was running is not a requirement (the guy I was replying to said it is a requirement) for a boxer which it appears you agree with. So I don't see why you're saying I'm wrong.

It seems it is you that is making a mountain out of a molehill.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #43
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Running isn't pure cardio. When you come out with stuff like this I'm really not sure you have any idea what you're talking about. If running was pure cardio your legs wouldn't ache afterwards.
The point of running is the benefits to your cardio system. You don't aim to strengthen your legs from running.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #44
Boxinglad123
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I don't see why running should be considered the most effective cardio workout. I've just taken about 2 months off running because of bad shins and knees and replaced it with skipping, cycling and extra boxing as well as keeping up with my higher intensity training. My fitness hasn't gone down any.
Boxinglad123 is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #45
Chex31
AttackingLikeASlickApache
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
In your opinions when is the better option..
A) waking up early and running before breakfast, eat, shower go to school
B)do the roadwork at then end of the day before bed and then off to sleep?

I can only run in the mornings.
Chex31 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing