Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #61
Spooner21
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Best time to do your roadwork?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehook13 View Post
Okay brb- squats = leg strength to move around for 5 rounds
jesus i want to touch on this but i have a feeling id have a better argument with a wall
Spooner21 is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #62
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_slick View Post
Possibly, but many "trendy science" trained fighters don't look like they can do a 15 round fight. Just sayin'.
What on earth is a 'trendy science' trained fighter? 15 round fights don't exist so why would anybody be training to do a 15 round fight? The idea is to be able to maintain a higher intensity. Anybody can just 'do a 15 round fight' if they take it easy and relax. You're not in the ring to take it easy and relax though are you? If a fighter has trained properly for a fight he should be exhausted at the conclusion of the fight or otherwise he could of fought at a higher intensity or he was just far too skilled for his opponent and didn't have to exert himself. It isn't a marathon or a competition to see who is the freshest after the fight. You need to be able to stay at a higher gear for longer.
It's not even a debate, we know for a fact what you have to do to improve fitness and it's certainly not run long distances whenever you can.
Even guys who run long distance races include intervals and sprints, along with tempo runs and fartlek (could be classified as interval as well). Maybe one or two steady pace runs a week. That's world class guys I'm talking about.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #63
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner21 View Post
was just gunna ask the same thing. be very interested to see the science behind that
Before we get to that point we need to understand what on earth he means by "the body is more efficient in the morning"...?? It would be nice if the body only did one thing we could measure but the body has a few functions and measures doesn't it
lefty is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #64
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
Before we get to that point we need to understand what on earth he means by "the body is more efficient in the morning"...?? It would be nice if the body only did one thing we could measure but the body has a few functions and measures doesn't it

i think logic would tell us that after a good night of rest recovering our muscles we would be better prepared for a warm up and exercise then to go out and exercise after a long hard day at work.

blood pressure lvls are also lower in the morning and tend to increase by up to 10/20 points through out the day, though i dont know if that has anything to do with the efficency of the body.
Ylem is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2011, 12:55 AM   #65
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner21 View Post
jesus i want to touch on this but i have a feeling id have a better argument with a wall
When you improve muscular strength it improves muscular endurance as well. It doesn't work the other way round however. Running will improve muscular endurance to an extent however running is actually a low intensity form of plyometrics, it's the tendons doing a lot of the work. Which is why squats and weight training for the lower body has been scientifically proven to help a runners efficiency and consequently their times, due to increased tendon stiffness at the ankle and knee joints along with improved muscular endurance.
Squats aren't necessary for somebody who is already fit and trains hard but they'd be more useful for a boxer than running 10kms every morning.
Moving around the ring should be trained by moving around the ring, that along with your skipping and whatever else means there is no need at all for long runs. Unless you want to lose weight or deplete your energy for your boxing sessions.
If anything takes away from the quality of your boxing sessions it should be dropped. Boxing is stuck in the dark ages when it comes to training, it must be one of the only sports around that still has the old fashioned belief that long slow runs can help. Rugby, soccer, in fact just about every other sport pays attention to the advances in understanding the human body and have adapted (periodisation, intervals etc.) and as a consequence games are played at a higher intensity with higher quality athletes.
You have boxers running every morning and using hand/ankle weights while eating like supermodels. Absolutely ridiculous. Probably why the boxing world acts like spastics when they see a well trained athlete like Pacqiuao and can't understand what the difference is.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2011, 01:04 AM   #66
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
When you improve muscular strength it improves muscular endurance as well. It doesn't work the other way round however. Running will improve muscular endurance to an extent however running is actually a low intensity form of plyometrics, it's the tendons doing a lot of the work. Which is why squats and weight training for the lower body has been scientifically proven to help a runners efficiency and consequently their times, due to increased tendon stiffness at the ankle and knee joints along with improved muscular endurance.
Squats aren't necessary for somebody who is already fit and trains hard but they'd be more useful for a boxer than running 10kms every morning.
Moving around the ring should be trained by moving around the ring, that along with your skipping and whatever else means there is no need at all for long runs. Unless you want to lose weight or deplete your energy for your boxing sessions.
If anything takes away from the quality of your boxing sessions it should be dropped. Boxing is stuck in the dark ages when it comes to training, it must be one of the only sports around that still has the old fashioned belief that long slow runs can help. Rugby, soccer, in fact just about every other sport pays attention to the advances in understanding the human body and have adapted (periodisation, intervals etc.) and as a consequence games are played at a higher intensity with higher quality athletes.
You have boxers running every morning and using hand/ankle weights while eating like supermodels. Absolutely ridiculous. Probably why the boxing world acts like spastics when they see a well trained athlete like Pacqiuao and can't understand what the difference is.

is muscular endurance a form of muscualr strength?

Strength Endurance - Strength endurance is defined as the ability to effectively maintain muscular functioning under work conditions of long duration. Strength endurance is a vital strength quality for any combat athlete. Power and speed are useless without the stamina necessary to apply these physical attributes throughout the contest.

seems it is per Rossboxing.com

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

running improves your strength endurance.

if you cut inhalf the energy used to move around the ring you have that much more energy when your throwing punches.
Ylem is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2011, 01:07 AM   #67
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylem View Post
i think logic would tell us that after a good night of rest recovering our muscles we would be better prepared for a warm up and exercise then to go out and exercise after a long hard day at work.

blood pressure lvls are also lower in the morning and tend to increase by up to 10/20 points through out the day, though i dont know if that has anything to do with the efficency of the body.
After a sleep you've been in a fasted state so you're certainly not going to be able to exercise at any high intensity, so you're not going to be able to improve your fitness. Cortisol levels are highest in the morning so theoretically a nice jog could help you de-stress but any fitness improving exercise is just going to increase those levels and make your body even more catabolic than it already is from the lack of food.
I'm not talking about general health, I'm talking about improving an athlete. If you want to be more relaxed and healthy then sure, go for a jog with your dog every morning. But it's a waste of time and energy if you're competing in anything and trying to get fitter for it.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #68
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
After a sleep you've been in a fasted state so you're certainly not going to be able to exercise at any high intensity, so you're not going to be able to improve your fitness. Cortisol levels are highest in the morning so theoretically a nice jog could help you de-stress but any fitness improving exercise is just going to increase those levels and make your body even more catabolic than it already is from the lack of food.
I'm not talking about general health, I'm talking about improving an athlete. If you want to be more relaxed and healthy then sure, go for a jog with your dog every morning. But it's a waste of time and energy if you're competing in anything and trying to get fitter for it.
i did mention warming up, should i have also mentioned eating a bowl of branflakes?

obiviously im not reccomending running fasted, or doing anything fasted if your trying to improve preformance.

and more so what about your carb stores? are they completly depleted every single morning?
Ylem is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2011, 01:13 AM   #69
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
is muscular endurance a form of muscualr strength?

Strength Endurance - Strength endurance is defined as the ability to effectively maintain muscular functioning under work conditions of long duration. Strength endurance is a vital strength quality for any combat athlete. Power and speed are useless without the stamina necessary to apply these physical attributes throughout the contest.

seems it is per Rossboxing.com

running improves your strength endurance.

if you cut inhalf the energy used to move around the ring you have that much more energy when your throwing punches.
Running doesn't improve strength endurance Ylemmy.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2011, 01:19 AM   #70
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Running doesn't improve strength endurance Ylemmy.
no, im pretty sure it does.

Strength endurance is defined as the ability to effectively maintain muscular functioning under work conditions of long duration

by running you improve your ability to effectively maintain muscular funtioning under work conditions of long duration.

thus running improves strength endurance.
Ylem is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2011, 01:26 AM   #71
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
i did mention warming up, should i have also mentioned eating a bowl of branflakes?

obiviously im not reccomending running fasted, or doing anything fasted if your trying to improve preformance.

and more so what about your carb stores? are they completly depleted every single morning?
carb stores.. You mean Glycogen stores. They will be lower in the morning, especially in the liver. If you don't eat you'll have low blood sugar (Glucose, converted into glycogen if not used) so mentally you'll struggle until you're well fed. A bowl of breakfast after a nights sleep isn't going to be enough to sustain a high quality workout, you'd probably want some sugary cereal that's low in fibre if you're training shortly after breakfast at a high intensity. I wouldn't reccomend it though, doing it in the afternoon or night you have lower stress/cortisol/catabolic hormones as well as more energy to use.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2011, 01:37 AM   #72
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
carb stores.. You mean Glycogen stores. They will be lower in the morning, especially in the liver. If you don't eat you'll have low blood sugar (Glucose, converted into glycogen if not used) so mentally you'll struggle until you're well fed. A bowl of breakfast after a nights sleep isn't going to be enough to sustain a high quality workout, you'd probably want some sugary cereal that's low in fibre if you're training shortly after breakfast at a high intensity. I wouldn't reccomend it though, doing it in the afternoon or night you have lower stress/cortisol/catabolic hormones as well as more energy to use.
Im pretty sure cortisol helps you process glucose and fats along with lowering stress lvls.

in the morning when your cortisol is highest your stress lvls would be at their lowest.

also the cortisol would help you burn fat/glucose stores in the morning. though i agree that something sugary with low fiber would be better in the morning for intense exercise.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol[/ame]
Quote:
It stimulates gluconeogenesis (the breakdown of protein and fat to provide metabolites that can be converted to glucose in the liver) and it activates anti-stress and anti-inflammatory pathways
Ylem is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2011, 01:38 AM   #73
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
no, im pretty sure it does.

Strength endurance is defined as the ability to effectively maintain muscular functioning under work conditions of long duration

by running you improve your ability to effectively maintain muscular funtioning under work conditions of long duration.

thus running improves strength endurance.

The term 'Strength Endurance' is used exclusively as a resistance training term. As I mentioned before jogging has little effect on muscular endurance, there are far more efficient ways to improve it.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #74
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
The term 'Strength Endurance' is used exclusively as a resistance training term. As I mentioned before jogging has little effect on muscular endurance, there are far more efficient ways to improve it.
is your body weight not resistance?

what are better ways to improve your muscular endurance?

by improving your maximal strength? id imagine its not that easily connected as some one that can run a marathon in 2.5 hours probly cant squat much more then his body weight while some one that can squate double his body weight probly cant run a marathong in 2.5 hours.

if you can life 200 lbs 5 times you can probly life 100 lbs 10 times but the rate of improvement greatly depreciates as weight increases.
Ylem is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2011, 01:46 AM   #75
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Im pretty sure cortisol helps you process glucose and fats along with lowering stress lvls.

in the morning when your cortisol is highest your stress lvls would be at their lowest.

also the cortisol would help you burn fat/glucose stores in the morning. though i agree that something sugary with low fiber would be better in the morning for intense exercise.

Yeah cortisol uses up glucose especially the stores in the liver, glucose is our friend and we don't want to dip into our stored supplies if we need to do something at a high intensity. Cortisol does not lower stress, it's known as the stress hormone. Too much is very bad for you, it's one of the markers of overtraining and fat people tend to have high levels.
lefty is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing