Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #61
Scotty321
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Most people dont know how to score a fight.

Who needs judges when you have Compubox!
Scotty321 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #62
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Wow, I really thought you might be about to make a valid point when I read the thread title. I do think there are a lot of people incapable of scoring a fight correctly.

However you appear to be one of them by scoring a lot of even rounds. In reality how can there be 'nothing in' a lot of rounds? That just doesn't happen very often, at all. It's very difficult for a round to be completely even. Some are close yes, that's why we have people scoring fights that are supposed to be experts, its a matter of judgement. Scoring it even lazily is not correct. Any time I see a card with 2 or more even rounds I'm suspcious.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #63
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

By the way TBooze's viewpoint is an abomination as well. You don't give rounds to people for having a title, that would make no sense in any competetive sport to randomly have bias towards a participant for holding a title. If they're worthy they'll prove themselves so without special consideration.

Plus if what you're claiming is correct about there never being an even round in reality thankfully we'll never have to award rounds for this reason anyway. Which I happen to agree with by the way, I rarely see an even round.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #64
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
However you appear to be one of them by scoring a lot of even rounds. In reality how can there be 'nothing in' a lot of rounds? That just doesn't happen very often, at all. It's very difficult for a round to be completely even. Some are close yes, that's why we have people scoring fights that are supposed to be experts, its a matter of judgement. Scoring it even lazily is not correct. Any time I see a card with 2 or more even rounds I'm suspcious.
Yes, I do agree with this. Rarely is a round absolutely even - yeah, there may be some very close rounds, but you have to make your own judgement.
1971791 is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #65
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
It amazes me how many people give 9-9 rounds.
Ian John Lewis is capable of anything.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #66
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Guys, tbooze is one of them "the official result is all that matters" kinda guys. So he'll excuse any judging in any way he can.

The ts is a spacker.

I watch a round, decide which man did better and give him the round.

If a man wins 7 close rounds and loses 5 clear rounds he wins the fight, it's simple. Ottke made a career out of it

Even on a rounds system it'd surely be 7-5 regardless.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #67
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Plus if what you're claiming is correct about there never being an even round in reality thankfully we'll never have to award rounds for this reason anyway. Which I happen to agree with by the way, I rarely see an even round.
100% agree.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #68
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Guys, tbooze is one of them "the official result is all that matters" kinda guys. So he'll excuse any judging in any way he can.
I agree. I think as rule this forum proves it. As brilliant as Boxrec is, so many people do not use it properly. They just look at results and draw conclusions from raw, basic information without using the said information as a starting point, which generally, is what it is.

So yes, as a rule, the boxing fan is stupid and merely wants the black and white of the official result.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #69
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post

OK...

You just need to put 'in my opinion' at the end there.
Know the big giveaway it's my opinion? The fact I said it. Only cretins need it pointed out, or those who are insecure in their own opinions. I suspect you are both.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #70
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Know the big giveaway it's my opinion? The fact I said it. Only cretins need it pointed out, or those who are insecure in their own opinions. I suspect you are both.
I think your point was so poorly written you needed to clarify, and I called you on it.

Cretin? Well I could understand you using a pompous, arrogant attitude to describe me, or as GazOC rightly points out, I do like to play Devil's Advocate (which I understand, can be annoying), but slow? No, I do not think so.

Insecure? Again, I am too vein, but I suppose in the Anna Freud, like playing with my own feces, you could have half a point, which is not bad for you! Kudos keep up the good work!
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #71
Brauer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 601

Quote:
This what I think should happen:

All title fights that go the distance should go down as no decisions unless all three judges score at least two thirds of the rounds (eight rounds in other words), to one of the fighters.

This way, there would be less chance of out and out robberies. A decision win that is any closer gets panned by 50% of us so called Internet experts anyway, that the term robbery has lost all meaning in the sport.
Then 4chan comes along
Brauer is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #72
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauer View Post
Then 4chan comes along
No offence (I am old) 4chan? Fortune?
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #73
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
I agree. I think as rule this forum proves it. As brilliant as Boxrec is, so many people do not use it properly. They just look at results and draw conclusions from raw, basic information without using the said information as a starting point, which generally, is what it is.

So yes, as a rule, the boxing fan is stupid and merely wants the black and white of the official result.
Boxing is too much of a business to ignore wrong decisions any more.

I'd hope any fan watching a fight and scoring it one way, doesn't suddenly change their mind on who won purely because 3 men disagreed with them.

Boxing is a subjective sport as well as a greedy business. The best way to decide who the victor should be is to simply watch the fight yourself and score it.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #74
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Boxing is too much of a business to ignore wrong decisions any more.
Even back the olden times, it was business, in fact an important business, unlike in this era, where it is a bit of a joke. Like the Uncle who was a top notch sportsman in his pomp, but has now gone senile:

"Yes Uncle Boxing, C Montgomery Burns, would kick that young punk James J Corbett's ass"...

Quote:
I'd hope any fan watching a fight and scoring it one way, doesn't suddenly change their mind on who won purely because 3 men disagreed with them.
I hope they think about it first, perhaps they have made with hindsight, a mistake. I hope peer pressure means they do not sheepishly go along with the majority of Internet fans, because they do not want to upset people though...

Quote:
Boxing is a subjective sport as well as a greedy business. The best way to decide who the victor should be is to simply watch the fight yourself and score it.
As long as you know the rules of judging, yes, I would agree.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #75
bruthead
REAL TALK
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

More even rounds would make things fairer, as the OP said. Of course you always CAN score a round one way or another but that doesn't mean you SHOULD. If you can see a case for either fighter then score it even.
bruthead is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum