Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-23-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Roberto Duran vs Ike Williams 135lbs

If I could really see one mythical matchup in history this would be it. Two of my favorite boxers of alltime.

Duran is highly regarded for his brutal reign at Lightweight from 1972 to 1978. He KOd 11 of 12 contenders not to mention many non title opponents. He lost just one fight to DeJesus in a fight he may have been ill prepared for. Didnt matter he went on to destroy DeJesus twice in Title fights. The last fight he came pretty close to killing him.

Duran was a vicious puncher not to mention a slick defensive fighter coming forward. A natural warrior more comfortable in the ring than out of it. His knowledge of the game allowed him to moved up in weight to have a mind boggling body of work over a 20 year period.

Ike Williams was also a Lightweight Champion in the late 1940s through the early 50s. This was perhaps the greatest era in boxing history. PreTeleivsion the names speak for themselves. Still only 8 divisions so being a champion was genuine.

Ike Williams could do pretty much everything Duran could. He was vicious with both hands. He could box and set up his attack, very good speed. I believe that his comp at Lightweight was better than Duran`s.

Ike Williams may have had to throw some fights in his career. He was controlled by the mob and didnt have much choice unless he was to be blackballed.

How does this fight go?
ETM is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roberto Duran vs Ike Williams 135lbs

Yeah, for all that i'm critical of Ike Williams' reputation as a puncher, he does seem something of a roadblock for Duran. However, I still have a sneaky feeling that Duran would put it all together that tiny bit better, be that bit harder to hit. Close decision for Roberto is my best guess.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Im pretty sure at one time Carmen Basillio had said that Williams hit him harder than anybody he had ever fought. Considering who he fought that speaks volumes if he`s even in the top 2 or 3.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #4
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ike, I thought so when Duran had title, still feel the same.
Danmann is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

I don't really think lightweight Duran is all that proven against fighters of Ike's ilk..I know how he goes against most other types but not so much against someone who can outdo him physically, test his body regularly and of course can put it all together at an elite level.

Duran impresses me a lot more on film...but Ike's body of work and reputation can't be denied.

Tough call.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 02:17 AM   #6
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Its hard for me to even make a solid prediction because anything can happen with two explosive punchers who can both box.

Duran had more success moving up in weight but then again there were more title available to go for at that time than for Ike Williams. Not sure that really matter anyway.

This would probably be a series of fights.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #7
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 651

This is kind of like Louis vs. Tyson.
Duran is Tyson a great offensive boxer with a good but overrated defense.
Williams is Louis. He'll pick his spots and make you pay for your mistakes.

Williams swwms to be known mostly for his power is an underrated boxer. He's not slick, but he can control the distance. If your able to control the distance your going to win the fight in my opinion. Against Duran, Williams has 2" of reach. Duran is at his best coming forward. Duran may be able to get to Williams, but he's going to eat a lot of jabs to get there. Duran's best chance is to get to Williams early. I don't see that happening. While Duran may be able to get on the inside. I don't think he'll be able to stay there. Williams will be strong enough to force him off. I also don't think Williams lets him get on the inside enough times. This is going to happen more and more as the fight progresses. As it dose Duran is going to find it harder and harder to get inside. Williams is going to tag him all fight. This could go all 15 rounds, but as Duran becomes less and less efective in the latter stages of the fight. I can see the ref stopping the fight in the 13th or 14th round.
ripcity is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum