boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
Derrick_Rose
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default How can a dominant American HW-Champ save Boxing?

Thats competely BS! Why is everybody sayin this?

Imagine a young american guy goes out and beats both Klits....he would get a lot attention and a lot of money but thats it. The next few years he would defend his titles against a bunch of unathletic fat blown up Cruiserweights.

Why is still everybody saying that an american guy would bring Boxing back to its golden days? WFT?
Derrick_Rose is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Robney
ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ
East Side VIP

vCash: 6423
Default Re: How can a dominant American HW-Champ save Boxing?

It won't, but for the (American) general public it will.

It's not about how good/strong the HW divison is, it's who's the champ for most people. If the Klits weren't there at all, and a Tyson type fighter was feasting on the current heavies like in the mid/late 80's the glitter division would get a lot more attention.

And the HW division IS boxing...
When people talk about the champs of yesteryear the most called upon boxers are Heavyweights... Why? Because they are the ones that catch peoples imagination. The biggest strongest guys, wich you never want to meet in a fight yourself.

For boxfans the glitter divisions are WW, MW and when strong also the HW's
When the heavies don't deliver, there's the other divisions for them... less so for the general public
Robney is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920

I was going to make a contribution on this thread (and technically this is) but what I wanted to say is summed up below, and probably better than what I could anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robney View Post
It won't, but for the (American) general public it will.

It's not about how good/strong the HW divison is, it's who's the champ for most people. If the Klits weren't there at all, and a Tyson type fighter was feasting on the current heavies like in the mid/late 80's the glitter division would get a lot more attention.

And the HW division IS boxing...
When people talk about the champs of yesteryear the most called upon boxers are Heavyweights... Why? Because they are the ones that catch peoples imagination. The biggest strongest guys, wich you never want to meet in a fight yourself.

For boxfans the glitter divisions are WW, MW and when strong also the HW's
When the heavies don't deliver, there's the other divisions for them... less so for the general public
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
GDG
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

The division needs competition. We have 2 top fighters at the moment who can never fight each other (not blaming them of course), why would anyone be excited?!?!

It doesn't have to be an American at all, but someone (and preferably a couple of fighters) with entertaining styles who can honestly challenge the Klits would clearly make the division more entertaining.
GDG is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
TyrantT316
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Because HW fights have always been the fights that sold as a somebody is going to get knocked out. People like to see big punches, personality and entertainment.

There is history with the likes of Joe Louis, Marciano, Ali, Frazier, Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, etc...

"The Heavyweight Champion of the World" was once looked at as the man no one in the world could beat. The best fighter in the world. The most prestigious individual title any athlete could have. There's still something about a fighter going onto Regis or some late show and being introduced as "The Heavyweight Champion of the World" more so than "The WBA Light Middleweight Belt Holder"

Now things have changed a bit with MMA, big athletes going to other sports where they can still make money without taking punishment, multimillion dollar endorsements where fighting regularly and often isn't as attractive as signing a contract to shoot an ad for a shoe, and the smaller fighters creating the buzz.

However people still hold onto that hope of a HW revival. An entertaining one. I think the history and that hope alone will help with Boxing.

Will it "save" Boxing? No. But it can't hurt.
What will "save" Boxing? More than one thing. There are too many politics involved. It's simply a different generation and time period in the world.
TyrantT316 is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
Bubby
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The only way for Americans to ever have a dominant heavyweight champion again is for the wall to go back up in Germany...
Bubby is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
KayEpps
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 356

Plan and Simple - Americans pay the most of almost everythings. The General Public usually only know the biggest names in boxing - Mayweather/PacMan - but when there's an American Heavyweight Champ - everyone knows his name and everyone tunes in to watch - which means very big money. When the Heavies Eat - all of Boxing eats.
KayEpps is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1231

If a YOUNG american fighter were to emerge, take the belts away from the K2, defend them in rematches, beat Potvetkin, Helenius, Fury, Adamek and a half dozen or so top 10 world rated HWs, he would have beaten 2 top 15 ATGS, defended against at least 4-5 potential fellow HOFers and if said fighter(Seth Mitchell, if anyone right now) were to remain undefeated in through this, this fighter would surpass the legacy of Ali, Tyson, Holyfield, Foreman, Louis and Marciano. He would essentially become the GOAT.

IDK who Derrick is implying is a nonathletic, fat, blown up CW, b/c essentially the division consisted of exactly this type of fighter until about 20 yrs ago when my man Larry Holmes took home the prize and set the stage for athletic and skilled Big Men to dominate.

Tyson aside, there has not been a small dominating champ since him. And don't say Holyfield, he was HARDLY dominating by any means.

It is what it is.....I don't favor Seth Mitchell over either K2 atm, and beating them both in 2-3 would likely diminish the accomplishment. But......impressive, or even close wins over the above named HWs and as I said, another 6-8 other top guys would certainly cement ANY HW as an ATG, and if doing so without blemish, likely a candidate for GOAT!
chitownfightfan is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
valdezjp
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Boxing does not need to be saved by an American heavyweight. Heavyweight boxing is doing fine everywhere in the world except the U.S. We as Americans are spoiled by always having top Heavyweight contenders through our lives. We do not have that now and i continuously hear now how boxing is dead. Boxing may be dead in some Americans minds but it is live and well in otherparts of the world. If an American rises to the occasion and reclaims the belts, Maybe a Seth mitchell or a Deontay Wilder then i am sure the public interest would increase. Can you imagine how popular Wlad would be in the U.S. if his name was John Williams from Boston? He would be the new Tyson... Just think about that. Yes I am an American BTW.
valdezjp is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
GDG
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdezjp View Post
Boxing does not need to be saved by an American heavyweight. Heavyweight boxing is doing fine everywhere in the world except the U.S. We as Americans are spoiled by always having top Heavyweight contenders through our lives. We do not have that now and i continuously hear now how boxing is dead. Boxing may be dead in some Americans minds but it is live and well in otherparts of the world. If an American rises to the occasion and reclaims the belts, Maybe a Seth mitchell or a Deontay Wilder then i am sure the public interest would increase. Can you imagine how popular Wlad would be in the U.S. if his name was John Williams from Boston? He would be the new Tyson... Just think about that. Yes I am an American BTW.

This is not true.

Even if you think the competition is strong (which I don't), the fights have been poor.

Are you saying people would be as excited by Wlad as they were Tyson if he were American?? You're an idiot if you think so. Casual boxing fans do not like to see the gradual breakdown that Wlad employs in his fights.....it's why Holmes (depite being an American), never got the respect he felt he deserved.

Casual fans love Tyson, all action, brutal force and quick KO's. If you can't see that then you're obviously new to the sport.
GDG is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
pahapoisu
Superman!
ESB Addict

vCash: 105

Americans would get tired of him. I guess he would be similar to what the Klitchkos are in Germany.
pahapoisu is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
Stinky gloves
Champion
East Side Guru

that he can be dominant?
Stinky gloves is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #13
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDG View Post
This is not true.

Even if you think the competition is strong (which I don't), the fights have been poor.

Are you saying people would be as excited by Wlad as they were Tyson if he were American?? You're an idiot if you think so. Casual boxing fans do not like to see the gradual breakdown that Wlad employs in his fights.....it's why Holmes (depite being an American), never got the respect he felt he deserved.

Casual fans love Tyson, all action, brutal force and quick KO's. If you can't see that then you're obviously new to the sport.
Don't know how to multiquote but I'm gonna agree and disagree with your post for differing reasons.
IMO, as an American and former Holmes superfan, the HW division is stronger than it ever was. The problem lies only in the 100% boxing dedication displayed by the K2. Their dedication to athleticism and strength and ring generalship has damn near made them invincible. Damn near. Wlad still has defensive liabilities, and Vitali IS 40+ y/o. Both can be beaten by the right style, by a fighter not afraid to lose. That said, only Marciano walked away HWCotW w/o blemish....dare I say, Adamek would erase that 0 faster than a $2 ***** would erase a crack rock.

I agree that to the casual fan, Wlad, is NOT as exciting as Tyson....at least not the current, but better overall version. The prePuritty Wlad, being an American HW, and a threat to LL, Tyson, and Holyfield would have have been hugely recieved by the casual fan, but fighting mostly overseas, out of view of the casual fan, most couldn't get his and Vitali's name straight, even AFTER the Sanders/Lewis' losses.

As for Holmes....his style was greatly received, but his legacy suffered only b/c who preceded and relieved him of his crown. He talks **** about it, even today, but most of the casual fans measure him against Ali and Tyson, and when Mike KOd him, he was never looked at as the measuring stick again.

Can't disagree with the last statement either.....but then again, we are NOT casual fans, and in a premium sport, the casual fans are usually disinterested until the hometown boy does good.
chitownfightfan is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #14
T.S.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDG View Post
This is not true.

Not just Tyson but Ali too! Yeah, I really miss the days of Ali vs Wepner don't you? Gosh, I really miss seeing the Rope a Dope style of defense! Now that was exciting boxing!!
T.S. is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #15
globenerd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick_Rose View Post
Thats competely BS! Why is everybody sayin this?

Imagine a young american guy goes out and beats both Klits....he would get a lot attention and a lot of money but thats it. The next few years he would defend his titles against a bunch of unathletic fat blown up Cruiserweights.

Why is still everybody saying that an american guy would bring Boxing back to its golden days? WFT?
He doesn't have to be American. He just has to not be gutless, gigantic athlete who throws "don't hit me punches" for 12 rounds to win a decision over this crop of bums that currently make up the HW division.
It just has to be someone with real skill and courage who will take the fight to these chumps.
globenerd is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum