Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
Cleto

vCash: 500
Default Herol Graham Article by Colin Hart

HEROL 'BOMBER' GRAHAM'S descent into the deepest of depressions led him to make a grisly attempt to commit suicide.
Graham reveals what caused him to reach such depths of despair in his recently-published autobiography Bomber Behind The Laughter.
Acclaimed as one of the most skilful champions produced in these islands Graham, now 52, ended up virtually penniless and alone in a sparsely furnished ex-council house.
He vividly describes the anguish he went through as he fought and lost against the demons that almost ended his life in the last few years.
Graham writes: "In the evening when I sat alone I often started crying and too often reached for the brandy bottle.
"Every night I sat in the dark on my own and stared at the TV that didn't work. I just sat and stared and cried. I didn't turn up for work, spending days in bed. All my self-belief had gone. I was financially on my knees."
Tortured by the knowledge he couldn't provide for himself, let alone his six children, Graham's mental condition deteriorated.
He went on: "I was being tormented and I was tormenting myself. I just wanted out. So I sharpened a knife and went to the bedroom with a bottle of brandy.
"I made a couple of phone calls and said a few prayers before beginning to slash my wrists. As I did it I screamed and lay down thinking I'd die in my sleep.
"But in the morning I woke up on my sheets hardened by dried blood and realised I'd somehow failed in my attempt to end the misery I was going through."
Graham took himself off to hospital where they patched him up and sent him home.
It was Karen, a former girlfriend now back in his life, who saved him from an early grave.
One evening as he was talking to her on the phone he became hysterical and admitted he was still on his knees and couldn't see anyway out of the darkness.
Karen, fearing he might harm himself again, called the police. Two officers turned up on his doorstep and took him away. That's when Graham was sectioned.
Only then did he receive the psychiatric and counselling treatment he so desperately needed.
When Graham held the British, European and Commonwealth light-middle and middleweight titles in the 1980s he had all the trappings of a celebrity fighter the big house, luxury car and designer clothes.
Graham was always a laid-back character in keeping with his West Indian roots. He gave the impression he hadn't a care in the world.
But he was haunted by a dreadful secret he had been raped by a paedophile when he was eight years old.
When at 38, his boxing career finally ended after three failed world championship attempts, he began to spiral out of control.
As a result of an unsuccessful venture into the jewellery business, his wealth evaporated and also large sums of money some of his so-called friends borrowed off him were never paid back
Several broken relationships didn't help, but he believes what really caused his downfall was his inability to cope with retirement from the ring.
To us normal mortals it is incomprehensible that you can become unhinged because you miss being hit on the head.
But Frank Bruno and Ricky Hatton can certainly sympathise with him. They also had suicidal tendencies when they realised they would never again lace on a pair of gloves.
Thankfully, Graham is now getting himself together. Having moved from Sheffield to London, he is Karen's house-husband and has also started to get work as a personal trainer.
But his harrowing story makes me wonder how many other ex-champs are sitting lonely in a darkened room suffering the pangs of withdrawal symptoms and frantic for help?

Bomber Behind The Laughter by Herol Graham with Stuart Wilkin is published by TH Media, price 11.99.
Cleto is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Herol Graham Article by Colin Hart

cheers!
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
Scotty321
Champion
East Side Guru

Pretty sad that. I hope Bomber is in a good place now.
Scotty321 is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

awful read, thanks for posting
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
miguel2010
His hands are his weapons
ESB Addict

vCash: 756

He was on with Buncey the other week and he seemed in good spirits....Them days are over imo.
miguel2010 is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
dondada
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Knew most of that but had no idea about the awful experience in his childhood. Thought he looked terrible on Bunce's Hour, tbh. Really hope things pick up for him.
dondada is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
Rasch

vCash:

Didn't know he had a book out ..... thanks for highlighting that.

This has the potential to be a good read, will be looking out for it ..... and at an affordable price too!
Old 11-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
HMSTempleGarden
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2522

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondada View Post
Knew most of that but had no idea about the awful experience in his childhood. Thought he looked terrible on Bunce's Hour, tbh. Really hope things pick up for him.

neither did I, that is brutal
HMSTempleGarden is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
harry the haddo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

my favourite ever boxer.sad to hear of his problems. his book is number one on my xmas list!
harry the haddo is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

He trains my mate Sy Nelson who lives with him sometimes.

Sy fights exactly the same way (****ing pain in the ass to tag in the gym).

Not sure he has always been the best role model but then his pronlems are well documented. By all accounts he's a really nice guy and I hop it all works out for him.
Will is online now  Top
Old 11-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleto View Post
HEROL 'BOMBER' GRAHAM'S descent into the deepest of depressions led him to make a grisly attempt to commit suicide.
Graham reveals what caused him to reach such depths of despair in his recently-published autobiography Bomber Behind The Laughter.
Acclaimed as one of the most skilful champions produced in these islands Graham, now 52, ended up virtually penniless and alone in a sparsely furnished ex-council house.
He vividly describes the anguish he went through as he fought and lost against the demons that almost ended his life in the last few years.
Graham writes: "In the evening when I sat alone I often started crying and too often reached for the brandy bottle.
"Every night I sat in the dark on my own and stared at the TV that didn't work. I just sat and stared and cried. I didn't turn up for work, spending days in bed. All my self-belief had gone. I was financially on my knees."
Tortured by the knowledge he couldn't provide for himself, let alone his six children, Graham's mental condition deteriorated.
He went on: "I was being tormented and I was tormenting myself. I just wanted out. So I sharpened a knife and went to the bedroom with a bottle of brandy.
"I made a couple of phone calls and said a few prayers before beginning to slash my wrists. As I did it I screamed and lay down thinking I'd die in my sleep.
"But in the morning I woke up on my sheets hardened by dried blood and realised I'd somehow failed in my attempt to end the misery I was going through."
Graham took himself off to hospital where they patched him up and sent him home.
It was Karen, a former girlfriend now back in his life, who saved him from an early grave.
One evening as he was talking to her on the phone he became hysterical and admitted he was still on his knees and couldn't see anyway out of the darkness.
Karen, fearing he might harm himself again, called the police. Two officers turned up on his doorstep and took him away. That's when Graham was sectioned.
Only then did he receive the psychiatric and counselling treatment he so desperately needed.
When Graham held the British, European and Commonwealth light-middle and middleweight titles in the 1980s he had all the trappings of a celebrity fighter the big house, luxury car and designer clothes.
Graham was always a laid-back character in keeping with his West Indian roots. He gave the impression he hadn't a care in the world.
But he was haunted by a dreadful secret he had been raped by a paedophile when he was eight years old.
When at 38, his boxing career finally ended after three failed world championship attempts, he began to spiral out of control.
As a result of an unsuccessful venture into the jewellery business, his wealth evaporated and also large sums of money some of his so-called friends borrowed off him were never paid back
Several broken relationships didn't help, but he believes what really caused his downfall was his inability to cope with retirement from the ring.
To us normal mortals it is incomprehensible that you can become unhinged because you miss being hit on the head.
But Frank Bruno and Ricky Hatton can certainly sympathise with him. They also had suicidal tendencies when they realised they would never again lace on a pair of gloves.
Thankfully, Graham is now getting himself together. Having moved from Sheffield to London, he is Karen's house-husband and has also started to get work as a personal trainer.
But his harrowing story makes me wonder how many other ex-champs are sitting lonely in a darkened room suffering the pangs of withdrawal symptoms and frantic for help?

Bomber Behind The Laughter by Herol Graham with Stuart Wilkin is published by TH Media, price 11.99.
I read that too. Very sad. Herol was one of the best we've ever produced from these shores.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondada View Post
For 52 he looked fantastic IMO
icemax is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #13
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

That's sad. I'm gonna' buy his book and if it turns out a shit read then hopefully it's helped him out just a little bit, he was a nightmare for most and took part in some fights I have got a lot out of, so admire him.

Hope it all turns out well for the bloke, 'unlucky' in his Boxing career and seemingly had a gut full in life.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #14
Fitzgerald90
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 625

I met him today,and he gave me some good advice and is such ahumble bloke considering what he done
Fitzgerald90 is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #15
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Wasn't there a program on him a few years ago, I think he was a personal trainer at the time?
GazOC is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum