Old 11-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
Ring Master
The Originator
East Side Guru

vCash: 818
Thumbs up Kirkland's Power/Up Jab was very impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring Master View Post
Problem here for Kirkland is the short compact right hand from Angulo. It's Angulo's best punch, it so happends to also be a southpaw killer..and Nacho has that punch sharper then ever.

Angulo by KO the right hand will start it...
Boy was I wrong.

Kirkland's jab was excellent...He constantly snapped Angulo's head back violently with that Power up jab.

Was Angulo in bad shape or did he just never recover his legs from those brutal left crosses he was eating combined witht the straight left body shot Kirkland was hitting him with? I think some are not accounting for the body work Kirkland was putting in. At some points you could see Angulo pulling both forearms in front of his abdominal to try and block the shot.

Kirkland was showing some pretty good angles and had a nice punch selection also...He was really mixing it up to the head and body and showed some decent subtle defensive manuvers.

Even prior to James getting dropped he came out and pushed Angulo back with shots to the body and the head, James squared up when attemping a body shot and that's when he got caught with a hard counter right hand (The one I thought would end the fight) But James showed he has a beard b/c he ate some shots while being on queer street and was able to withstand. Some people want to say James doesn't have a chin...I disagree, He just puts himself in a position to get touched and it does. This fight is a clear indication that James can recover from being hurt and the Ishido fight was just a case of him being unprepared.

Props to Ann Wolfe who worked on and implemented the Power/Up Jab in Kirkland's arsenal. I knew she could condition a fighter and she also showed some technical savy.

Regarding a rematch, It is not safe to assume Angulo would be the same after this fight. Angulo is not the same fighter backing up and Kirkland seems to have the mindset and power to always back him up. With the exception of the knock down this was not a very competitive fight. Angulo always knew Kirkland was a beast since the Gary Shaw Production days and I don't believe he was not in good shape coming in to the bout.
Ring Master is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
leocouture
Chinchecker KILLA!!!!!! G
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Kirkland's Power/Up Jab was very impressive

Kirkland a G.

Wolfe a OG.
leocouture is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
dwighttsharpe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Agreed.

I also think his defense was relatively good. Besides that knockdown shot, Angulo really did not land many shots to Kirklands face/head. Even during the flurry, he was slipping most of the punches.

Can't belive how unmarked he was.
dwighttsharpe is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
EpsilonAxis
HNIC
ESB Addict

vCash: 2296

the power jab is great, he throws it like a power punch.

But at the same time, his jab isn't very versatile. I mean, the point of the jab is that everything gets set up off of it. you use it to stick something in your opponents face before your big shot. Kirkland uses it AS the big shot.

Kirkland had a great fight, no doubt, but I think there's still a lot of flaws in his game.
EpsilonAxis is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Ring Master
The Originator
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwighttsharpe View Post
Agreed.

I also think his defense was relatively good. Besides that knockdown shot, Angulo really did not land many shots to Kirklands face/head. Even during the flurry, he was slipping most of the punches.

Can't belive how unmarked he was.
Yeah I saw him slipping shots going backwards...
Old 11-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
Ring Master
The Originator
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpsilonAxis View Post
the power jab is great, he throws it like a power punch.

But at the same time, his jab isn't very versatile. I mean, the point of the jab is that everything gets set up off of it. you use it to stick something in your opponents face before your big shot. Kirkland uses it AS the big shot.

Kirkland had a great fight, no doubt, but I think there's still a lot of flaws in his game.
i thought he set up straight lefts to the head and body off the jab. maybe not in combination but Alfredo had to defend against it so it left him open for the cross.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Kirkland is still very flawed and his chin can be cracked, but I saw some nice improvements from him. I really liked what I saw on Saturday.
JMP is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

vCash: 138

Kirkland looked good besides the knockdown. He was slipping punches going to the body and using his jab.
Pimp C is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
Ring Master
The Originator
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
Kirkland is still very flawed and his chin can be cracked, but I saw some nice improvements from him. I really liked what I saw on Saturday.
Yeah i still think boxers with height will give him problems b/c of the range. But it was good to see some improvements.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
J Griz 757
Arturo "Thunder" Gatti
East Side Guru

vCash: 1866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring Master View Post
Boy was I wrong.

Kirkland's jab was excellent...He constantly snapped Angulo's head back violently with that Power up jab.

Was Angulo in bad shape or did he just never recover his legs from those brutal left crosses he was eating combined witht the straight left body shot Kirkland was hitting him with? I think some are not accounting for the body work Kirkland was putting in. At some points you could see Angulo pulling both forearms in front of his abdominal to try and block the shot.

Kirkland was showing some pretty good angles and had a nice punch selection also...He was really mixing it up to the head and body and showed some decent subtle defensive manuvers.

Even prior to James getting dropped he came out and pushed Angulo back with shots to the body and the head, James squared up when attemping a body shot and that's when he got caught with a hard counter right hand (The one I thought would end the fight) But James showed he has a beard b/c he ate some shots while being on queer street and was able to withstand. Some people want to say James doesn't have a chin...I disagree, He just puts himself in a position to get touched and it does. This fight is a clear indication that James can recover from being hurt and the Ishido fight was just a case of him being unprepared.

Props to Ann Wolfe who worked on and implemented the Power/Up Jab in Kirkland's arsenal. I knew she could condition a fighter and she also showed some technical savy.

Regarding a rematch, It is not safe to assume Angulo would be the same after this fight. Angulo is not the same fighter backing up and Kirkland seems to have the mindset and power to always back him up. With the exception of the knock down this was not a very competitive fight. Angulo always knew Kirkland was a beast since the Gary Shaw Production days and I don't believe he was not in good shape coming in to the bout.
Good for you for manning up and admitting when you're wrong, not too many do that on here any more, props.

You were deff almost right with the right hand ending it though, but where most of us were wrong was in that Kirkland had a better chin, and conditioning that expected, mixed with Angulo making the mistake of punching himself out.

I give Kirkland and Wolfe full credit on being completely prepared for that war.
J Griz 757 is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
shimmy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Its too bad the damn mics weren't working in the ring so we could really hear the thud of the punches. Best war of the year and you can't hear the damn punches! ****ing place had a Fischer Price sound system.
shimmy is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #12
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Kirklands chin is still questionable, but its more due carelessly rushing in IMO.

What he did show, was great heart and very good recuperative skills AND a good gameplan, all against a very good opponent.
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #13
lewishamboy
Styles Impetuous
ESB Addict

vCash: 2000

Kirkland is a ****ing beast...can't wait to watch this guy in the big fights
lewishamboy is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #14
lewishamboy
Styles Impetuous
ESB Addict

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy View Post
Its too bad the damn mics weren't working in the ring so we could really hear the thud of the punches. Best war of the year and you can't hear the damn punches! ****ing place had a Fischer Price sound system.
You know that! Buffer was fuming!
lewishamboy is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #15
FilipMNE
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 461

He improved his boxing skills, defense is bad but he boxed very nice behind that jab, he is much better since he reunited with Ann.
FilipMNE is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum