Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 11-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #31
doomeddisciple
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mark Munoz "Chael Sonnen loses, wins one and gets title shot? No!"

How about Munoz Sonnen for a title shot?

It would be a wrestling clinic!
doomeddisciple is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2011, 03:59 AM   #32
Beekeeper
Bedtime Story, Aoki Style
ESB Addict

vCash: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post

Alright, so Chael is no Bones Jones when it comes to ground and pound.

But he was working steadily. He was clearly choosing his own time to engage, and he landed a lot of good shots to the head and body. He landed more shots than the last eleven opponents combined, FFS.

Anderson Silva was tough enough to take them. No surprise there. And Silva landed his own strikes, but really he was getting worked over the whole time. Pretty much the whole fight was taking place where and when Chael wanted it to happen. You can skip randomly all the way through the fight and see nothing but Chael on top of Anderson, controlling him, pinning him down and hitting him.

Controlling him, sure, doing Spider harm, not so much
Beekeeper is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 04:00 AM   #33
Beekeeper
Bedtime Story, Aoki Style
ESB Addict

vCash: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
**** it! Let's rename this the ****ing Sonnen forum and be done with it
I'm on it Stoo

I will see what Aoki-related gossip I can find
Beekeeper is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 04:14 AM   #34
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:

Actually, I'm really not a HUGE Sonnen fan. I mean, maybe he cracks my top 5 favourite active fighters, but he's certainly not top 3.

My support for Chael is more about Anderson. It's because Silva may be the MMA GOAT, and Chael is Anderson's greatest rival. The Spider is as dominant as ever, but he doesn't have much time left before his body slows down. And he has a legacy fight right in front of him, a massive risk to show that his last-gasp submission wasn't a fluke.

To take this rematch and destroy Sonnen in his usual kind of dominant fashion would give a HUGE boost to Anderson's all-time standing. It's a massive risk since Chael controlled him so easily last time around, but rematching and proving the submission wasn't a fluke is IMO exactly the kind of thing that the GOAT should do.

Plus it just happens to be the biggest fight in the division, it's the one the fans want the most, and it puts the most money in Anderson's pocket.

For me personally, I would certainly enjoy the buildup. I would enjoy the fight as well, no matter the outcome. If Anderson KOs or submits Chael early and relatively easily, IMO that would in years to come be looked back on as the GOAT's defining performance. I would really like to see that happen on live TV.

And if Chael wins, I'll surely enjoy the cartoon-style crowing from Sonnen, and the butt-hurt from a lot of Chael-haters.

Interesting perspective. I don't think Chael is as good as you think. What will happen is, they will match up, he will beat Chael again, and then we will wonder what all the hype was about. Meanwhile we allow hype rather than records and standings to dictate who fights who, which is a bad precedent to set, especially considering the cheating. I have my own opinions about elite athletes and TRT. I'm more inclined to believe both Chael and Henderson abused hormones in the past and ****ed up their endoctrine systems, as happens to many people. As a result they need to supplement hormones to be regular again. Henderson is an old man, so perhaps his problem resulted from age, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he abused hormones in the past and is a contributor to his low T. I'm a big fan of Henderson as well.

If you think Chael is the biggest matchup, cool. I don't. I'd rather have fighters face off according to some legitimate ranking system where you have to basically climb a ladder in order to face the champ. Top contenders should have to face off to earn a title shot. I think Chael is almost there, but as a top contender he should have to beat a top submissions fighter. If Stann, a fellow Marine ever expects a shot at Silva, I would hope he is matched up against a great wrestler again so he legitimately earns his shot. I'm a huge fan of his as well.

Thats just how I see it. I think the style that will eventually beat Silva, unless he retires will be a wrestling, grinding style. I always thought Henderson had the ideal style for it because of his ability to finish, his wrestling background and the fact that he is dangerous everywhere.
Koa is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 05:11 AM   #35
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
I'm on it Stoo

I will see what Aoki-related gossip I can find
Yay!
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #36
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1065

Haggis, you just like seeing white people beat up black people.
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #37
timmyjames
PTurd curb stomper
East Side Guru

vCash: 3111

Quote:
Stann might be a good test to confirm that a fighter can hang with a high-level striker then, eh?

And for the record, based on the available evidence, Chael Sonnen is one of the few guys who can hang with Anderson in the standup. In fact Sonnen got the better of Anderson on their feet last time around, before he took him down at will and started beating his ass on the ground.

Will he? In the last fight, Anderson dominated for about eight seconds, when a tired Chael was still pressing the action when he should have been running out the clock. Chael dominated for better than twenty minutes.

why does everyone seem to forget that silva was nursing a rib injury...

a juiced chael lost to an injured silva

a healthy and annoyed silva is not going to lose
timmyjames is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #38
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

He nearly beat Silva and then dominated the best available fighter at 185 upon his return.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #39
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckay_89 View Post
Haggis, you just like seeing white people beat up black people.

I actually got a little concerned about this, and checked it in my head. But then I realized that two out of my 5 favourite active fighters are Bones and Rashad.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #40
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

hope chael vs mark munoz and beats him i cant stand mark munoz he's just another clay guida
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #41
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
Interesting perspective. I don't think Chael is as good as you think.
I don't think he's a p4per myself. I think he's exceptional at one discipline and average to good at the others. But his style is kryptonite for Anderson Silva. Nobody not named Bones Jones is as much of a stylistic nightmare for Anderson.

Quote:
What will happen is, they will match up, he will beat Chael again, and then we will wonder what all the hype was about.
No. You don't seem to understand that it isn't Chael's mouth that has people excited for the rematch. It's what he did in the first match. The entertainment value Chael brings outside of the cage is simply a bonus.

Quote:
Meanwhile we allow hype rather than records and standings to dictate who fights who, which is a bad precedent to set
You talk like Munoz has been tearing through the division himself. He hasn't. Recently he has a good win over Meia and an essentially meaningless win over an incredibly weight-drained Chris Leben. According to records, Sonnen's performances against Silva and Stann are more impressive. According to standings, most publications rate Sonnen ahead of Munoz.

Quote:
I have my own opinions about elite athletes and TRT. I'm more inclined to believe both Chael and Henderson abused hormones in the past and ****ed up their endoctrine systems, as happens to many people. As a result they need to supplement hormones to be regular again. Henderson is an old man, so perhaps his problem resulted from age, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he abused hormones in the past and is a contributor to his low T. I'm a big fan of Henderson as well.
Well, that's neither here nor there. Not saying you're wrong, but it's merely speculation.

Quote:
If you think Chael is the biggest matchup, cool. I don't.
By every measure that I can see, Chael is a bigger matchup for Anderson.

Quote:
I'd rather have fighters face off according to some legitimate ranking system where you have to basically climb a ladder in order to face the champ. Top contenders should have to face off to earn a title shot.
So Leben is enough of a top contender to springboard yourself to a title shot, but Stann isn't? How does that work?

Quote:
I think Chael is almost there, but as a top contender he should have to beat a top submissions fighter. If Stann, a fellow Marine ever expects a shot at Silva, I would hope he is matched up against a great wrestler again so he legitimately earns his shot.
Why?

This mindset just denies us the biggest fights. It means that fights like Sonnen vs Stann become badly devalued, because it's a worthless matchup for Chael. Even if he utterly dominates and stops a top contender (as he did) it means nothing for his title aspirations because Stann is a striker (like the champion is) and apparently he needs to defeat a submission guy.

Quote:
Thats just how I see it. I think the style that will eventually beat Silva, unless he retires will be a wrestling, grinding style.
Yes, a style exactly like Sonnen's. And you would rather see Anderson protected from that, because you would hate to see Sonnen with the belt around his waist and you saw the first fight so you know that a dominant Sonnen win is VERY possible.

But Anderson is the champion, and an ATG champion at that. His business isn't to avoid the toughest and most anticipated matchups and give title shots to old training partners who nobody wants to see challenge him. As the possible GOAT, he's not supposed to be avoiding the greatest rival of his career.

Quote:
I always thought Henderson had the ideal style for it because of his ability to finish, his wrestling background and the fact that he is dangerous everywhere.
Yep I agree, but unfortunately they fought years ago and Henderson was comfortably and definatively beaten, same as everybody not named Chael Sonnen has been.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2011, 05:16 AM   #42
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

All that he says is true, however, I for one really want to see the rematch between Silva and Sonnen. I think Sonnen should face a life ban, but he isn't, so it is the most interesting fight out there for Silva. At the end of the day UFC makes the best matches it can, not always about who deserves it the most but rather who will sell the most PPV's. This has pros and cons, but generally I think the best/most exciting matches are made most of the time and this for me is the number one advantage MMA has over boxing. An autocratic organisation is not always fair but it does sidestep the issue of politics preventing the big fights being made.
EL BULLY is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum