Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
sosolid4u09
4 8 15 16 23 42
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: FUCK Bob arum
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 75
Default anyone practice wing chun?

Considering taking it up.

Im pretty athletic and fit so physically i should be fine.

Does anyone on esb practice it?
What's your take?
sosolid4u09 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2011, 01:02 AM   #2
unloco
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: --------------
Posts: 3,024
vCash: 81
Default Re: anyone practice wing chun?

i did it for a few months , its good , the whole triangle aspect , i liked the stomp kicks and elbows , just the pattern of movement bothered me the punches come from your zyphoid process , i felt i couldnt get any power , but they are meant to stun more than anything else ,
unloco is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:15 AM   #3
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,771
vCash: 500
Default Re: anyone practice wing chun?

Its stupid its really just about stretching go do a real martial art such as kyoshin karate, muay thai, or sanshou
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:18 AM   #4
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: anyone practice wing chun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosolid4u09 View Post
Considering taking it up.

Im pretty athletic and fit so physically i should be fine.

Does anyone on esb practice it?
What's your take?
Trained Wing Chun some years ago. All styles have their own peculiarities. If you like the concept of chain punches, sticky hands and the centreline principal it will suit you. If not try something else.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:23 AM   #5
James23
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Eastern U.S.
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 1218
Default Re: anyone practice wing chun?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_3F6Zwbp9E[/ame]
James23 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Northwoods of Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 1,455
vCash: 1000
Default Re: anyone practice wing chun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James23 View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
james4210
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brighton UK
Posts: 461
vCash: 1000
Default Re: anyone practice wing chun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai-edy2007 View Post
Its stupid its really just about stretching go do a real martial art such as kyoshin karate, muay thai, or sanshou
say that two more times and Bruce Lee will rise from the dead and kick your ass lol.
james4210 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Northwoods of Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 1,455
vCash: 1000
Default Re: anyone practice wing chun?

There are some guys on here who do wing chun or at least JKD with the wing chun trapping stuff. I went to a JKD gym for a long time (and might go back soon if I can get my shit together) and from what I saw all of the trapping/chain punching stuff was ruined by a simple boxing feint. All of the traps and blocks take place so far away from your body that if the guy you're fighting knows anything at all about fighting you either won't be able to pull any of it off or you'll get nailed when you try. Even the people who worked at it all the time and were really into it never pulled it off in sparring.

Like a lot of martial arts, it'll work great against someone who doesn't know what they're doing. Of course, boxing/kickboxing/MT/judo etc also work against people who know what they're doing, so from my point of view they're a better bet.
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:54 AM   #9
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,771
vCash: 500
Default Re: anyone practice wing chun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4210 View Post
say that two more times and Bruce Lee will rise from the dead and kick your ass lol.
i highly doubt that.
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
james4210
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brighton UK
Posts: 461
vCash: 1000
Default Re: anyone practice wing chun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai-edy2007 View Post
i highly doubt that.
One can hope
james4210 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #11
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: anyone practice wing chun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
There are some guys on here who do wing chun or at least JKD with the wing chun trapping stuff. I went to a JKD gym for a long time (and might go back soon if I can get my shit together) and from what I saw all of the trapping/chain punching stuff was ruined by a simple boxing feint. All of the traps and blocks take place so far away from your body that if the guy you're fighting knows anything at all about fighting you either won't be able to pull any of it off or you'll get nailed when you try. Even the people who worked at it all the time and were really into it never pulled it off in sparring.

Like a lot of martial arts, it'll work great against someone who doesn't know what they're doing. Of course, boxing/kickboxing/MT/judo etc also work against people who know what they're doing, so from my point of view they're a better bet.
Fair call. Best bet against Wing Chun is to step off the line they are attacking at with chain punches and throw either a big body rip or a hook, and go from there. Wing Chun's main threat is to someone that's never seen it before who just stands in front of the Wing Chun attacker and gets machinegunned down.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #12
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: anyone practice wing chun?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH13kYFzfFk[/ame]


(No Mike W)
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,771
vCash: 500
Default Re: anyone practice wing chun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4210 View Post
One can hope
im a hero [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DSVDcw6iW8[/ame]
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #14
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: anyone practice wing chun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai-edy2007 View Post
im a hero [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #15
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Northwoods of Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 1,455
vCash: 1000
Default Re: anyone practice wing chun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


(No Mike W)
That clip always reminds me of a little brother who is really pissed at his older brother and just wings punches until the big brother decides to get serious.
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013