Old 11-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #16
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ike Quartey vs Miguel Cotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Cotto's crotch is like a ...glove...with bat wings...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

...Take that, Sweetie.
Quartey's crotch is like a Bazooka.... what the **** am I saying.....

Why did you Manilow this thread B.E.?
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #17
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
Quartey's crotch is like a Bazooka.... what the **** am I saying.....

Why did you Manilow this thread B.E.?

I think this is the first time you've ever engaged me in silly shit. I will never forget this. You and I are brothers, this day, Sweet. In all but blood.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #18
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosseyed View Post
It's interesting to me that Quartey always does so well in these mythical matchups despite his best win being...

Vince Phillips?

His jab was absolutely terrific, but I think Cotto could have been very competitive with Ike.
Espana was his best win, and I'd favour Espana to KO Cotto as well.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #19
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I think this is the first time you've ever engaged me in silly shit. I will never forget this. You and I are brothers, this day, Sweet. In all but blood.
Look forward to seeing you under many more bridges
Old 11-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #20
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
Look forward to seeing you under many more bridges
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #21
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Old 11-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #22
crosseyed
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
Espana was his best win, and I'd favour Espana to KO Cotto as well.
I only really recall Espana KO'ing a worn Meldrick Taylor. Remember he was an awkward guy, but didn't seem too special. Is he worth checking out?
crosseyed is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #23
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Cotto would find himself out of his depth against the 90s crop of welters, and not just the guys most people now remember most.
JMP is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #24
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Claws Espana was a dangerous fighter.imo he's probably the best of the 90s-00s Welter champions that aren't going to crop up in any 147 all-time great\borderline great type discussions...ie Mayorga, Spinks, Cotto, Margarito, Page, Forrest etc

He was a skilled, heavy handed textbook boxer-puncher, albeit a bit mechanical and maybe not the best reflexively.Very rangey with loads of offensive talent and decent feet.Definitely one of the most educated combination punchers of the past couple welter decades.

He wasn't young though by the time he won the title and had health issues going into the Quartey fight, which was just a supposed gimme fight against an unproven obscure commodity.I don't know how much to take of any illness claims, but he looked slower and less sharp against Ike; fading in the final third.It's possible he could have came back and offered an interesting challenge for some of the other top Welters, but if i remember rightly a detached retina forced him to retire.

btw watch Quartey vs Espana and his other earlier title defences and then watch him against Oscar.The decline was significant and clear.I reckon the Ike that fought claws takes on Oscar, he gives him a bit of a beating.Mind you, maybe Oscar himself could have fought better and smarter...but Oscar rarely ever fought smart against the A level types in big fights.
lora is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #25
crosseyed
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Claws Espana was a dangerous fighter.imo he's probably the best of the 90s-00s Welter champions that aren't going to crop up in any 147 all-time great\borderline great type discussions...ie Mayorga, Spinks, Cotto, Margarito, Page, Forrest etc

He was a skilled, heavy handed textbook boxer-puncher, albeit a bit mechanical and maybe not the best reflexively.Very rangey with loads of offensive talent and decent feet.Definitely one of the most educated combination punchers of the past couple welter decades.

He wasn't young though by the time he won the title and had health issues going into the Quartey fight, which was just a supposed gimme fight against an unproven obscure commodity.I don't know how much to take of any illness claims, but he looked slower and less sharp against Ike; fading in the final third.It's possible he could have came back and offered an interesting challenge for some of the other top Welters, but if i remember rightly a detached retina forced him to retire.
Interesting, thanks for your take. As I said, I only remember the Taylor fight, where I thought he looked ponderous and average against a depressing looking Taylor. Still Taylor had speed even at that point, and maybe I was influenced by that.

That being said, I'm always a little shocked at how dismissive people are of Cotto, who has beat some really good fighters. The guy is something like 20-2 in championship fights and a 3-division champ and he doesn't seem to get that kind of respect.

Hatton is the other guy who people always seem super dismissive of, despite pretty impressive accomplishments. Neither are favorites of mine, but I think both deserve respect.
crosseyed is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #26
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

I think it was because plenty of boxing sources were trying to sell them for a while as really top fighters-potentially special\among the best brits ever etc instead of the honest workmanlike fighters and champions they were.same deal with Pavlik and Taylor.

Not that overhyping new champios and prospects is anthing new, and of course both deserve respect.Cotto more than Hatton imo who progressively let himself down after the Tszyu fight imo.
lora is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #27
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

What about Quartey's win over Jung-Oh Park? I think that is a very underrated win. On film Park looks very solid technically. He did nothing wrong in that fight. In the end he was just outgunned by Quartey.
He even tried to take away Quartey's best weapon, his jab, by pressuring him to the ropes inside, and Quartey just threw short hooks and uppercuts, catching him with straight punches coming in. That had to be Quartey at his best.
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #28
oli
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun711 View Post
What about Quartey's win over Jung-Oh Park? I think that is a very underrated win. On film Park looks very solid technically. He did nothing wrong in that fight. In the end he was just outgunned by Quartey.
He even tried to take away Quartey's best weapon, his jab, by pressuring him to the ropes inside, and Quartey just threw short hooks and uppercuts, catching him with straight punches coming in. That had to be Quartey at his best.
Was this the fight where Quartey stopped the guy by virtually jabbing him to death? iv seen Ike do that! Jab a guy out
oli is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #29
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bez View Post
At welterweight who wins?
Quartey would dominate this fight and win a wide, convincing UD. Cotto would get bashed up, would not look good by the end.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #30
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396

Can't imagine any way that Cotto can deal with the Quartey jab. I tried and I came up empty.
The Wanderer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum