Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #46
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Moore's power tested at HW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
HeGrant,

How do you rate Marcianos chin against sub 190lb fighters?
I rate his chin as terrific period ... a bit from the fights I've been able to see, a bit from common sense and a bit from my heart as he never fought huge punchers ... however ... look at the first Walcott fight. We all know Walcott could hit like hell. His nature was defensive but in that first round, after the knockdown, he went for the kill like I never saw him do on film in any other fight ... if Rocky did not have both a terrific chin and terrific recooperative powers he would have folded .. not only did he recover but he was firing back after taking some big bombs .... my point is that even thought I don;t like Rocky matching up against the best of the bigger guys I think for 200 and under he's one of the best that ever lived and P4P he's one of the best heavyweights and all time punchers that ever lived.
he grant is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #47
darling dame
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Moores ppower showed up in wins over Lavorante(kod Folley),Besmanoff(top 10),Rademacher,several other top or near heavies in 55-60! I guess a reason Arch was put down at heavy he lost to Rocky,floyd,then Cassius Clay!
darling dame is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #48
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
I rate his chin as terrific period ... a bit from the fights I've been able to see, a bit from common sense and a bit from my heart as he never fought huge punchers ... however ... look at the first Walcott fight. We all know Walcott could hit like hell. His nature was defensive but in that first round, after the knockdown, he went for the kill like I never saw him do on film in any other fight ... if Rocky did not have both a terrific chin and terrific recooperative powers he would have folded .. not only did he recover but he was firing back after taking some big bombs .... my point is that even thought I don;t like Rocky matching up against the best of the bigger guys I think for 200 and under he's one of the best that ever lived and P4P he's one of the best heavyweights and all time punchers that ever lived.
good post and good observation about the Walcott fight, Joe was usually content with resting on his laurels after a KD, in fact he looked at his right hand and gestured in one of the 3 Louis KD,s but did go in for the kill vs Marciano....As far as Marciano being the best lb4lb heavyweight I think that is definitive.

As far as the bigger guys, Marciano beat his share but the better fighters of his era were the smaller men,Moore eliminated Valdez 2X and Baker by KO, Lastarza beat 6"21/2 Dan Bucceroni and Rex Layne and Charles KO'd 6"3 Coley Wallace and many others. Marciano fought the best of his era and the best were not necessarily the biggest although we do not know how far the up and coming 6"4 Carmine Vingo would have went, my uncles felt he was going to be a good one.

If there were a such thing as a time machine Marciano would be outweighed today by too much especially by the Klitschko's or Lennox Lewis but there is not a such thing therefore we have to judge by greatness in there era....born today guys like Marciano, Louis and Dempsey would be a bigger man and have the benefits of modern training and growth.

I have to say he-grant you have shown an open mind and a willingness to learn and give your opinion and admit when you grow...which is one of the reason we all post here is to grow
Bummy Davis is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum