Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011, 03:50 AM   #16
Count Pacula
Cashweight Thrillionaire
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wild Crypt Gym
Posts: 619
vCash: 500
Default Re: The reason I picked JDS to beat Cain.....

So was this a win or failure for the UFC? During post fight comments Dana appeared irked as hell. He was ripping Cain's camp for not executing a better game plan (pressure JDS with takedown attempts). Last I checked JDS has superb takedown defense. So my guess is Dana was just upset that the fight wasn't competitive enough for the casual fans (and newcomers) who were tuning in to watch the event on a primetime network.
Count Pacula is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2011, 04:50 AM   #17
pourya
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 555
vCash: 500
Default Re: The reason I picked JDS to beat Cain.....

mmm well cain is slow, ( abit) and has a questionable chin- i think he definitely has a questionable chin- but he is still a good fighter and one of the best heavyweights.

JDs on the other hand has very fast hands... too fast for his size and also very strong with takedown s
pourya is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:56 AM   #18
TerryESB
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,307
vCash: 75
Default Re: The reason I picked JDS to beat Cain.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Pacula View Post
So was this a win or failure for the UFC? During post fight comments Dana appeared irked as hell. He was ripping Cain's camp for not executing a better game plan (pressure JDS with takedown attempts). Last I checked JDS has superb takedown defense. So my guess is Dana was just upset that the fight wasn't competitive enough for the casual fans (and newcomers) who were tuning in to watch the event on a primetime network.
Dana White wanted an MMA version of Ali vs Fraizer for an American National tv audience. Instead he got Tyson vs Trevor Berbick.

White got 1 minute of fighting to show for a 1 hour tv time slot. Dana seen dollar signs marketing Cain to a Mexican fan base, but he was so easily defeated. White's great money making hope was destroyed and humiliated.
TerryESB is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:02 AM   #19
SomeGuy101
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,980
vCash: 1383
Default Re: The reason I picked JDS to beat Cain.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
That was my assessment as well. The Kongo fight showed CV could be hit and JDS hits harder than anyone.

Thing is, we STILL don't know how his ground game is.
We never really knew how good Liddell's ground game was and even though rampage would always beat him 10/10 times in pride or UFC he was legendary for stuffing takedowns. He pretty much wrote the book on how to trade and stuff them.

JDS managed to stuff one of Cains attempts at a take down in this fight and generally if Cain gets close he takes you down. In many ways this was like Liddel vs Couture II.
SomeGuy101 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:27 AM   #20
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,359
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The reason I picked JDS to beat Cain.....

Standing and trading with JDS in round 1? Pretty much the worst gameplan ever.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:39 AM   #21
TerryESB
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,307
vCash: 75
Default Re: The reason I picked JDS to beat Cain.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BULLY View Post
Standing and trading with JDS in round 1? Pretty much the worst gameplan ever.

Cain tried right away for a take down failed, and then was KO'd. Cain threw a few leg kicks to try and set up a take down, and went for the take down at about 30 seconds but couldnt finnish the TD because he was too ****in slow.

WTF do you expect for him to rush across the octagon at the bell and spear Dos Santos like Bill Goldberg? You have to set up something (get in range) to take down a fighter with good take down defense like Dos Santos, he wasnt just going to stand there at let him take him down. Dos Santos is elusive and was obviously the much quicker fighter.
TerryESB is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #22
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: InYourMouth, NC
Posts: 6,551
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The reason I picked JDS to beat Cain.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarngold View Post
Who's in that JIF?
I have no idea. It's just some lady laughing.

Oh, and incidentally: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #23
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,269
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The reason I picked JDS to beat Cain.....

I had no doubt that JDS could light Cain up. That was no suprise. The suprise was Cain believing he could stand with JDS for 1 minute at any stage of his life. He shouldn't have been boxing and kicking his leg.

JDS should have been on his back pronto as that guy can show you the stars without the assistance of NASA!
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #24
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: InYourMouth, NC
Posts: 6,551
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The reason I picked JDS to beat Cain.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
I had no doubt that JDS could light Cain up. That was no suprise. The suprise was Cain believing he could stand with JDS for 1 minute at any stage of his life. He shouldn't have been boxing and kicking his leg.

JDS should have been on his back pronto as that guy can show you the stars without the assistance of NASA!
Velasquez has to properly set his shot up. He can't just shoot in haphazardly. That's TUF stuff.

Velasquez fought the best fight he could. He took the one shot that was available, and Cigano shrugged him off. There's only so many clean punches one can take from a 240 lb guy. Cain got finished very similarly to the way he finished Nogueira.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #25
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,359
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The reason I picked JDS to beat Cain.....

Wen a guy is throwing shots he is vulnerable to the takedown. CV was in no position to shoot, he was engaging in a stand up battle rather than using his stand up to set up a takedown when JDS was throwing. He didn't even look to clinch when they came together. He rated his own stand up skills too highly after dismantling the piss poor stand up of Brock Lesnar.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #26
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,269
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The reason I picked JDS to beat Cain.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
Velasquez has to properly set his shot up. He can't just shoot in haphazardly. That's TUF stuff.

Velasquez fought the best fight he could. He took the one shot that was available, and Cigano shrugged him off. There's only so many clean punches one can take from a 240 lb guy. Cain got finished very similarly to the way he finished Nogueira.
I disagree. He should have been more aggressively setting up his takedown attempts or been defensive if he wanted to work his way into it. He did not fear JDS power enough, perhaps he got too ballsy after roughing up Rothwell and sparking Nog.

Velasquez should have been feinting and leading to the takedown. Especially when Cain is not a one trick pony. He has a single or double which if incomplete he can transition into trips and throws.

His gameplan need him to accept his chin is no match for the best boxer (possibly striker) in heavyweight mma.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #27
Hookercut
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 212
vCash: 500
Default Re: The reason I picked JDS to beat Cain.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Pacula View Post
So was this a win or failure for the UFC? During post fight comments Dana appeared irked as hell. He was ripping Cain's camp for not executing a better game plan (pressure JDS with takedown attempts). Last I checked JDS has superb takedown defense. So my guess is Dana was just upset that the fight wasn't competitive enough for the casual fans (and newcomers) who were tuning in to watch the event on a primetime network.
Lol. Dana was just pissed because he looked like an idiot hyping Cain as "The baddest man on the planet". He also lost out on his Mexican audience who must have been really disappointed. Epic Fail.
Hookercut is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #28
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,359
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The reason I picked JDS to beat Cain.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Pacula View Post
So was this a win or failure for the UFC? During post fight comments Dana appeared irked as hell. He was ripping Cain's camp for not executing a better game plan (pressure JDS with takedown attempts). Last I checked JDS has superb takedown defense. So my guess is Dana was just upset that the fight wasn't competitive enough for the casual fans (and newcomers) who were tuning in to watch the event on a primetime network.
I think he thought it would be a fight of two halves. JDS landing bombs on Cain early on but Cain gets the win when JDS gasses. A fight like that would have done masses for the UFC with the casual combat sports fan. I think it wasn't a very spectacular KO if you are a guy watching for the first time and had no emotional investment in either guy. I found it exciting because it was a big result with lots of consequences but i don't think the uninitiated would have been impressed as it was high on the head and Cain was temporarily scrambled rather than hurt.

Dana knows the fight didn't really deliver in teh way he suspected it would.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #29
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 3,631
vCash: 500
Default Re: The reason I picked JDS to beat Cain.....

Nearly everyone is reading way too much into this fight. We knew that Cain had no Chin and that Dos Santos was a clearly superior boxer, so how does watching him lamp a Jawless, wannabe boxer who never made a serious takedown attempt pump him up THIS ****ing much? We still have no idea about his takedown defense nor what he offers from his back. And no, that isn't because Dos Santos shut him down, it was because he never tried beyond catching a kick. No one is saying he should have shot from ten feet out but he could have followed the punches into a clinch or shot behind a hard, winging right hand a la Hendo. Instead he chose to exchange jabs and kicks on the outside without ever thinking takedown. The only thing that fight highlighted was a piss poor gameplan and atrocious Chin.
MetalMandible is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #30
Chucky
BDJ
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 358
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The reason I picked JDS to beat Cain.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMandible View Post
Nearly everyone is reading way too much into this fight. We knew that Cain had no Chin and that Dos Santos was a clearly superior boxer, so how does watching him lamp a Jawless, wannabe boxer who never made a serious takedown attempt pump him up THIS ****ing much? We still have no idea about his takedown defense nor what he offers from his back. And no, that isn't because Dos Santos shut him down, it was because he never tried beyond catching a kick. No one is saying he should have shot from ten feet out but he could have followed the punches into a clinch or shot behind a hard, winging right hand a la Hendo. Instead he chose to exchange jabs and kicks on the outside without ever thinking takedown. The only thing that fight highlighted was a piss poor gameplan and atrocious Chin.

Stay out of the MMA forum
Chucky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013