Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #16
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who will be Cain's next opponent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai-edy2007 View Post
rematch with brock/
Why would anyone want to see that again?
Matty lll is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #17
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,588
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who will be Cain's next opponent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryESB View Post
Carwin is a national champion wrestler.

Bottom line Carwin took everything Dos Santos could dish out and was still standing at the end of the fight. Cain was ****ed up in 1 minute.

Carwin is a huge puncher, he will put that slow **** Cain to sleep.
He was Division II. Velasquez was a very highly regarded Division I wrestler in an extremely strong field.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #18
Zmora
Sława!!!
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Polska
Posts: 309
vCash: 3457
Default Re: Who will be Cain's next opponent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty lll View Post
Why would anyone want to see that again?
This depends highly on how would Brock do against Reem. If he still doesn't like being punched in the face then there is no point in this fight. If there was some improvement in this area then it would be a very interesting bout.

This time Brock probably won't shoot himself out with those wild attempts to prove Cain he is a better wrestler, avoid getting hit, fights wiser and as a result we will see how Cain can fight of his back and defend against g'n'p.

Also fights with Brock are always enetertaining and this one would be no exception
Zmora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #19
One Punch KO
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,467
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who will be Cain's next opponent?

Shane Carwin is out until mid-2012 with his back injury.

Mir would be an excellent fight for Cain if he's ready to go soon after the Nog fight, but the main thing is that Velasquez fights again sharpish. He's a former champion sure, but he's only had ten fights total and has just come back from a long lay-off. I say get him back into the thick of things as soon as possible - if that means a Kongo rematch or Roy Nelson so be it.

It's a pity Werdum has already been matched up with Brendan Schaub, that would be a cracking fight.
One Punch KO is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #20
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who will be Cain's next opponent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmora View Post
This depends highly on how would Brock do against Reem. If he still doesn't like being punched in the face then there is no point in this fight. If there was some improvement in this area then it would be a very interesting bout.

This time Brock probably won't shoot himself out with those wild attempts to prove Cain he is a better wrestler, avoid getting hit, fights wiser and as a result we will see how Cain can fight of his back and defend against g'n'p.

Also fights with Brock are always enetertaining and this one would be no exception
I don't think so. Cain beat him very convincingly it would be hard to sell it to the fans on the basis that he 'now likes getting punched in the face'
Matty lll is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #21
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 3,631
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who will be Cain's next opponent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
What an unpredictable turn of events. Chincheckas support fighter, fighter loses 1 fight by stoppage, chincheckas immediately and completely turn against him.

I tipped JDS by 1st round KO, I am a massive JDS fan and not at all a fan of Cain, but even I can see that Velasquez was rusty and in crappy shape, and the punch which sent him down was to the skull, which ****ed his equilibrium - not the same thing as having an actual 'Glass Jaw/China Chin/whatever other bollocks the trendy trolls are saying these days'.

JDS is a killer, brilliant boxing (for MMA) and hellacious power. Cain made a mistake in standing and trying to outstrike him, but that doesn't mean he has particularly weak punch resistance.

Carwin got rocked by Gonzaga & JDS, Nelson got KO'd by Arlovski, Mir got totalled by Carwin, Lesnar got wiped out by Cain, Kongo got temporarily stanky-legged by Pat Barry, Nogueira got ravaged by Velasquez, etc etc etc...

When you have 240+lbs men with tiny gloves flinging bombs at each other, people get stopped. It obviously doesn't mean they all have 'Glass Mandibles'.


Dunno why I'm even bothering trying to reason with a "chinchecker" who has Chuck Liddell in the greatest 10 chins of all-time. Talk about a paradox...
I supported the guy because I thought he would wrestle. It isn't like the Kongo fight didn't completely highlight the fact that he has no Chin or that I blathered on about him being an iron-chinned Mexican warrior because it was obvious that he wasn't.

I thought this match-up was going to be great if Cain tried to force a high-paced wrestling match and punch on the ground and in the clinch and, while we have no clue what would have happened with that given the fact that he stood at range and potshotted for sixty seconds, it would have had to have been better than that. But yes, he has a Glass Jaw and it's as obvious as the sun coming up tomorrow morning. Every time he's been hit flush he fell down. That isn't the sign of equilibrium problems or any of that other shit, it's the sign of a guy that can't take a ****ing punch. The last two guys that Dos Santos beat up survived to the bell. Even Glass Jawed old man Cro Cop managed to survive until the third and he didn't even get sparked out, he quit. Dos Santos can crack but Cain is the only guy that he's flattened like that aside from Werdum and Werdum is no iron-chinned warrior either.

Secondly, explain how Chuck Liddell doesn't belong when he spent an entire career blocking punches with his face and only got flattened when he was an old man. You can't and never have been able to do that so, in essence, shut the **** up or provide a better Top 10 Chins list.
MetalMandible is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #22
Zmora
Sława!!!
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Polska
Posts: 309
vCash: 3457
Default Re: Who will be Cain's next opponent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty lll View Post
I don't think so. Cain beat him very convincingly it would be hard to sell it to the fans on the basis that he 'now likes getting punched in the face'
If K1 specialist Overeem won't take Brock out then maybe his poor boxing has improved a bit and wouldn't be that much of factor anymore. Brock is a beast and he is always a threat to anyone. What's more this guys is always improving. Cain would be a favorite but it doesn't mean Lesnar can't beat him or give an even fight.

Besides Brock is still a big draw for UFC so they would definitely find a way to sell this one.

Still as I said earlier I would rather see Cain in other matchups.
Zmora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #23
werety
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 408
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who will be Cain's next opponent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMandible View Post
I supported the guy because I thought he would wrestle. It isn't like the Kongo fight didn't completely highlight the fact that he has no Chin or that I blathered on about him being an iron-chinned Mexican warrior because it was obvious that he wasn't.

I thought this match-up was going to be great if Cain tried to force a high-paced wrestling match and punch on the ground and in the clinch and, while we have no clue what would have happened with that given the fact that he stood at range and potshotted for sixty seconds, it would have had to have been better than that. But yes, he has a Glass Jaw and it's as obvious as the sun coming up tomorrow morning. Every time he's been hit flush he fell down. That isn't the sign of equilibrium problems or any of that other shit, it's the sign of a guy that can't take a ****ing punch. The last two guys that Dos Santos beat up survived to the bell. Even Glass Jawed old man Cro Cop managed to survive until the third and he didn't even get sparked out, he quit. Dos Santos can crack but Cain is the only guy that he's flattened like that aside from Werdum and Werdum is no iron-chinned warrior either.

Secondly, explain how Chuck Liddell doesn't belong when he spent an entire career blocking punches with his face and only got flattened when he was an old man. You can't and never have been able to do that so, in essence, shut the **** up or provide a better Top 10 Chins list.
I love how every time you predict a fight wrong you blame it on your pick's gameplan or training. Just man up and admit your ****ing wrong.
werety is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #24
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 3,631
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who will be Cain's next opponent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by werety View Post
I love how every time you predict a fight wrong you blame it on your pick's gameplan or training. Just man up and admit your ****ing wrong.
Did I say that I guaranteed he would have won? Absolutely not, this was a tough fight to pick, ESPECIALLY given Cain's abysmal Chin. That being said, he'd have stood a better chance to win if he had had come with the pressure fighting and wrestling that got him to where he was. As for the Penn pick, that one I still stand by. He was clearly the better man until he gassed for no reason other than being pressed into the fence. Cain, on the other hand, might have had his glass shattered anyway.
MetalMandible is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #25
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: sweden
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 117
Default Re: Who will be Cain's next opponent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMandible View Post
Did I say that I guaranteed he would have won? Absolutely not, this was a tough fight to pick, ESPECIALLY given Cain's abysmal Chin. That being said, he'd have stood a better chance to win if he had had come with the pressure fighting and wrestling that got him to where he was. As for the Penn pick, that one I still stand by. He was clearly the better man until he gassed for no reason other than being pressed into the fence. Cain, on the other hand, might have had his glass shattered anyway.
So your saying that you went against all your beliefs and went with the fighter with a glass chin over the one that doesnt?
greathamza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:37 AM   #26
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,318
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who will be Cain's next opponent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
So your saying that you went against all your beliefs and went with the fighter with a glass chin over the one that doesnt?

Yes because he knows, deep deep inside him, that punch resistance isn't the most important attribute for someone in MMA !
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:33 AM   #27
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,771
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who will be Cain's next opponent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty lll View Post
Why would anyone want to see that again?
because i think brock might have a chance in the next fight.
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #28
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 3,631
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who will be Cain's next opponent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
So your saying that you went against all your beliefs and went with the fighter with a glass chin over the one that doesnt?
Yes, that's exactly it, because when picking MMA I often let one thing trump punch resistance and that is wrestling. If a guy's wrestling is off the charts he can have success even with the sort of Glass Jaw that Cain is rocking.
MetalMandible is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #29
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who will be Cain's next opponent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmora View Post
If K1 specialist Overeem won't take Brock out then maybe his poor boxing has improved a bit and wouldn't be that much of factor anymore. Brock is a beast and he is always a threat to anyone. What's more this guys is always improving. Cain would be a favorite but it doesn't mean Lesnar can't beat him or give an even fight.

Besides Brock is still a big draw for UFC so they would definitely find a way to sell this one.

Still as I said earlier I would rather see Cain in other matchups.
Overeem is miles ahead of Lesnar on the feet, Its not even remotely close. Thats besides the point, I never said Lesnar had no shot of beating Overeem.

I also never said he couldn't give Cain a good fight. I think you'd get more or less the same result but again thats not what I'm saying, If he did beat Overeem it'd be very hard to promote a second fight considering how the first one ended.
Matty lll is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #30
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who will be Cain's next opponent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai-edy2007 View Post
because i think brock might have a chance in the next fight.
What makes you say he'd do any better this time?
Matty lll is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013