Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
lwhit26

vCash: 500
Default When is it too early to fight your OWN style

everyone at my gym tells me keep both hands up, and jab constantly. but its so easy to read me with both hands up. both times i did that in sparring i got my ass whooped. until lastthe round of my 2nd time sparring i started slipping and counter punching and it worked really well.

anyways, ive only sparred 2 times. been boxing for like 2 months. i got the basics down. but keeping my hands up is horrible for my defense. im too slow. if i use a roy jones type fighting style where i got my right hand in front of my face to catch and my jab hand kindve going up and down to throw off my opponents timing i can work really well doing that. and im a faster puncher doing this instead of just being rock solid hands up like a tyson.

but i wanna do this in sparring and i KNOW everyone will tell me keep my hands up and do this and do that, but i know how i want to fight, i can slip better this way, counterpunch better this way, change angles better this way, so why not do it. should i just ignore everyone at the gym and fight my own way now?
lwhit26 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Boxinglad123
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: When is it too early to fight your OWN style

You've not got the basics down. I've been boxing for three years, I've pretty much got the basics down now. Listen to your coach and keep your hands up. You've sparred twice....
Boxinglad123 is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxinglad123 View Post
You've not got the basics down. I've been boxing for three years, I've pretty much got the basics down now. Listen to your coach and keep your hands up. You've sparred twice....
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Arranmcl
Arran
ESB Senior Member

Leave the Roy Jones Jr defence to... Roy Jones Jr. Don't mimick him or you'll end up being brutally knocked out.

Listen to your coaches, they know what they are talking about.
Arranmcl is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
Scott-Robson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 15444

Basically what everyone else said, youre not Roy Jones Jr.
Scott-Robson is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Leave the Roy Jones Jr defence to... Roy Jones Jr. Don't mimick him or you'll end up being brutally knocked out.
in other words if you mimick roy jones past you will end up mimicking his present?
pichuchu is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
HENDO
Champion
East Side Guru

If something is not working, and something that you do is, you got to go with what's working. It's' up to your coach to prove otherwise.
HENDO is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

There's no problem experimenting with different styles in sparring, it's one of the things sparring is for, but wait until you actually do have the basics down. It's been said earlier that you've only been boxing 2 months, it takes a lot longer than that to really get the basics down.

Last edited by Jdsm; 11-13-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhit26 View Post
but i wanna do this in sparring and i KNOW everyone will tell me keep my hands up and do this and do that, but i know how i want to fight, i can slip better this way, counterpunch better this way, change angles better this way, so why not do it. should i just ignore everyone at the gym and fight my own way now?
Yeah just ignore the guys at your gym. They probably only have years of experience over your couple of minutes. Of course your way is right.

It may be the case that you just suck at what you're being told to do, that's what improves with experience.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
Arranmcl
Arran
ESB Senior Member

If you can't keep your hands up without being predictable then you must be doing something wrong.
Arranmcl is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #11
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

What everyone else said...however, to sculpt his question...about how long does it usually take before boxers get comfortable enough to switch up their styles their own? I want to start boxing soon, and while I want to be eager to learn all the basics, I want to learn every single defensive style there is, and I want to be able to pick and choose which I want to use once my first official fight comes around. Because, as much as the basics suit most, and I agree that you have to take baby steps and learn the basics before everything, in all sports I've ever done, I've gone away from the basics and made my own style that makes me unique and hard to predict. About how long does it take to achieve this in boxing, and will I meet resistance by my coach? The Philly Shell has intrigued me, and while I know it takes years of practice to be able to perform the Philly Shell, I do want to eventually learn it, and I'm afraid my (future) boxing coach will not let me. Like I said, in no way do I think I could or would want to learn it right off the bat, but from the information I've gathered from years of watching and researching boxing, I believe, at the end of the day, I'd be best-suited to have a basic defensive style with some Philly Shell mixed in.
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURDR View Post
What everyone else said...however, to sculpt his question...about how long does it usually take before boxers get comfortable enough to switch up their styles their own? I want to start boxing soon, and while I want to be eager to learn all the basics, I want to learn every single defensive style there is, and I want to be able to pick and choose which I want to use once my first official fight comes around. Because, as much as the basics suit most, and I agree that you have to take baby steps and learn the basics before everything, in all sports I've ever done, I've gone away from the basics and made my own style that makes me unique and hard to predict. About how long does it take to achieve this in boxing, and will I meet resistance by my coach? The Philly Shell has intrigued me, and while I know it takes years of practice to be able to perform the Philly Shell, I do want to eventually learn it, and I'm afraid my (future) boxing coach will not let me. Like I said, in no way do I think I could or would want to learn it right off the bat, but from the information I've gathered from years of watching and researching boxing, I believe, at the end of the day, I'd be best-suited to have a basic defensive style with some Philly Shell mixed in.
You can't predict how long it'll take someone to learn something. You may pick something up in a week, someone else may take 2 months or 2 years to get it down perfectly.

You can't base what you think you'll be best at from reading books, you have no clue until you actually step foot into the ring and get hit. You're getting well ahead of yourself. Boxing isn't easy, you don't learn something over a few weeks, you learn what best suits you and you won't know what suits you until you step into the ring. You may do sparring for the first time, get beat up and quit because it's not for you, you never know.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
You can't predict how long it'll take someone to learn something. You may pick something up in a week, someone else may take 2 months or 2 years to get it down perfectly.

You can't base what you think you'll be best at from reading books, you have no clue until you actually step foot into the ring and get hit. You're getting well ahead of yourself. Boxing isn't easy, you don't learn something over a few weeks, you learn what best suits you and you won't know what suits you until you step into the ring. You may do sparring for the first time, get beat up and quit because it's not for you, you never know.
Not trying to get ahead of myself, I know it takes years to learn techniques, and even pros are always looking to perfect their technique, but I'm just saying from what I've read and seen and observed, I think, possibly, a more defensive-oriented style would suit me best, as I've always had pride in being a defensive-first player in every sport I've ever played. Obviously, like you said, it's much different once you actually get in the ring, but it'd kill me inside if I didn't actually try it while I was still boxing.

As for quitting, I don't quit. I know a lot of people say that, but I'm not afraid of getting beat up. I'll probably get my ass handed to me when I first get in the gym, but I've played enough sports in my days to know that hard work and dedication can help you overcome all of that. I don't want to go in ****y thinking I know anything about boxing, because I don't, I just THINK I could POSSIBLY, ONE DAY have success with a unique style of fighting, once I learn the basics and get my technique straight.

But yeah, I hate kids who go into boxing not knowing they'll get hit, or thinking they're the next Pac-Man or Ali. It reminds me of those stupid kids who join the Army then complain when they get shipped out (not saying it's stupid to join the Army, as I tried to myself, saying the kids are stupid). I definitely have a lot of heart and a really good work ethic. Knee surgeries have slowed me down a lot the past couple of years, but I won't give up until I'm the best ****ing defensive boxer in the entire world...Yes, I set unrealistic expectations for myself so I always have something to push for.
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #14
Boxinglad123
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURDR View Post
Get in the gym, get hit, listen to your coach and then take it from there.
Boxinglad123 is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #15
Arranmcl
Arran
ESB Senior Member

Cool story bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxinglad123 View Post
Get in the gym, get hit, listen to your coach and then take it from there.
This
Arranmcl is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing