Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Which of your favourite fighter's less celebrated fights do you enjoy?

Are there any of the lesser known performances you particularly enjoy?
When IB posted a good thread about JMM-Salido not long ago,it made me think of Leonard-Kalule.It's hardly vinatge Ray but it's a very entertaining fight IMo.Ray fights in flat-footed,almost brawler-like style and Pacheco even refers to Joe Louis.
Kalule was an absolute beast and in his day he was avoided the way Paul Williams used to be.His promoter even had to go to court several times to get him his mandatory fight because the Japnese guy wanted no part of him.I really thought he should have achieved even more than he did because he had a very awkward southpaw and was difficult to work out.Add to that he looked like a light heavy at times.
His movement at the knees is superb and he was always looking for an angle,which is why I think Ray fought the way he did.Ray starts out cautiously but starts to find a rythym,and his famous right hand lead is used on several occasions.The fight starts to really heat up in the fourth when Ray displays some wonderful head movement and at one point,he manages to throw three right hands in quick succession in a way you very rarely see.
He starts to fade badly in the 6th after two excellent rounds and Kalule does well,but Ray seems to start connecting well in the 8th again and it's downhill for Kalule from there.
I've posted the full fight but the commentary isn't great so I'll also put the part where tha action hots up.Listen out for a very young-sounding Tommy Hearns.Aned given the way Ray fights,it's understandable that Tommy was sounding confident.

I'd also love to know which of Floyd's early fights people enjoy,and Cotto was great box office at 140 because he was much more open.
Any of the top fighter's less celebrated fights would be great.Thanks for looking.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQmmqKcSZO4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgACk95DiW8[/ame]
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
bladerunner
El Intocable
East Side VIP

vCash: 21502
Default Re: Which of your favourite fighter's less celebrated fights do you enjoy?

Duran-Palomino.
Marco Antonio Barrera-Enrique Sanchez.
Booby Chacon-Arturo Frias
Aaron Pryor-Dujuan Johnson
Stevie Johnston-Angel Manfredy
Shane Mosley-Wilfredo Rivera
Juan Manuel Marquez-Terdsak Jandaeng
Rafael MArquez-Silence Mabuza
Mark Johnson-A.Salazar
Kid Gavilan-Gil Turner
Emanuel Augustus-Alex Trujillo
Miguel Cotto-Ricardo Torres
bladerunner is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 36829
Default Re: Which of your favourite fighter's less celebrated fights do you enjoy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
When IB posted a good thread about JMM-Salido not long ago
As soon as I read the title of this thread, I knew exactly what my pick was and began digging up a link to exactly that.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Great shout, btw, SRL-Kalule.

Obviously not near being his best scalp, due to the unique depth of his resume, but by anyone else's standards an awesome result to go to the trenches with then-president of the "Who needs 'em" club and pop his cherry.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
Yes.

The brothers IMO hit their performance peak shortly before their popularity (and bank accounts) broke to the big-time with the Vazquez trilogy and the Barrera/Juarez/Pacquiao II bouts respectively.

Rafa and JuanMa (back when he was the JuanMa) actually co-headlined a card vs. Mabuza II and Jandaeng, it was awesome.

The commentators were like "holy shit, this much talent in one family?? "
Old 08-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

i like to watch all george foremans comeback fights on the usa network back in the late 80s. all are mismatches but o'grady and albert were always fun and george would be on tv once a month it seemed....
iceman71 is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
Duran-Palomino.
Marco Antonio Barrera-Enrique Sanchez.
Booby Chacon-Arturo Frias
Aaron Pryor-Dujuan Johnson
Stevie Johnston-Angel Manfredy
Shane Mosley-Wilfredo Rivera
Mark Johnson-A.Salazar
Kid Gavilan-Gil Turner
Emanuel Augustus-Alex Trujillo
Miguel Cotto-Ricardo Torres
I meant to mention Barrera-Sanchez Great shout.MAB is my #2 and I love that fight! The KD into attack is legendary and doesn't get enough credit.I also had the Cotto-Torres fight in mind.
Some great shouts there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
As soon as I read the title of this thread, I knew exactly what my pick was and began digging up a link to exactly that.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Did you think it was going to be the inspiration for the thread?
The JMM-Salido thread is one of my "most enjoyed" in recent times.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Julio Cesar Chavez vs Andy Hooligan.

A declining Julio taking on a Euro Level Hooligan who was coming foward all the time in the fight. Which meant a brilliant display of combination punching by Julio.
Zopilote is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman71 View Post
i like to watch all george foremans comeback fights on the usa network back in the late 80s. all are mismatches but o'grady and albert were always fun and george would be on tv once a month it seemed....
Since I learned about O'Grady and his dad's antics I've never been able to think of him in the same way.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
I meant to mention Barrera-Sanchez Great shout.MAB is my #2 and I love that fight! The KD into attack is legendary and doesn't get enough credit.I also had the Cotto-Torres fight in mind.
Some great shouts there.

Did you think it was going to be the inspiration for the thread?
The JMM-Salido thread is one of my "most enjoyed" in recent times.
No that was a pleasant surprise. Total coincidence that it was my first thought.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Yes.

The brothers IMO hit their performance peak shortly before their popularity (and bank accounts) broke to the big-time with the Vazquez trilogy and the Barrera/Juarez/Pacquiao II bouts respectively.

Rafa and JuanMa (back when he was the JuanMa) actually co-headlined a card vs. Mabuza II and Jandaeng, it was awesome.

The commentators were like "holy shit, this much talent in one family?? "
Agreed. Great shout on those 2.
Zopilote is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Since I learned about O'Grady and his dad's antics I've never been able to think of him in the same way.
uh oh..... not sure i know.....besides o'gradys pathetic padded record, what are you referring to?
iceman71 is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Great shout, btw, SRL-Kalule.

Obviously not near being his best scalp, due to the unique depth of his resume, but by anyone else's standards an awesome result to go to the trenches with then-president of the "Who needs 'em" club and pop his cherry.
I think Kalule is one of the most under-appreciated fighters of that era.Kinda fell short but has some great names on his resume.Even beat Kalambay just before he went on that long stint in and around the top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zopilote View Post
Agreed. Great shout on those 2.
I need to check more of early Rafa out.We've been fairly starved of him on UK TV.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman71 View Post
uh oh..... not sure i know.....besides o'gradys pathetic padded record, what are you referring to?
His padded record is down to his horrendous father.One of the worst of the worst when it came to 80's boxing crooks.Had guys packed into station wagons to drive all over the south(and elsewhere) to fight under aliases for buttons.
A real shitehouse who exploited and ruined many men who didn't know any better.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
bladerunner
El Intocable
East Side VIP

vCash: 21502

Another one is Roy Jones-Reggie Johnson which was a very good performance dominating a still game and a still capable version Johnson like never before and that second knockdown was one of the best knockdowns i have ever seen countering Johnson's jab with a lightning quick one-two putting Johnson on the seat of his pants.

Simply awesome.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hoPjCcyuhM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hoPjCcyuhM[/ame]
bladerunner is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum