Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-15-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
Arcane
One More Time
East Side Guru

vCash: 488
Default Pacquiao's ring IQ?

What does everyone think of it at this stage? I never thought he was an overly smart fighter when it came to ring IQ but the last two fights have proven he has major problems making adjustments that or he simply doesn't know how to. Against both Mosley and Marquez he was completely befuddled, subtle feet movements seemed to confuse him to the point he was throwing 3 punch combos at thin air and considering he was fighting an older slower fighter he should have cut off the ring and forced the pace better.

For example when you look at the fight between Hopkins and Calzaghe; Hopkins was using his ring smarts moving and counter punching which caused problems for Joe early on but after about round 5/6 Calzaghe made the adjustments needed and managed to push Hopkins into the deep water by forcing him to fight the fight Calzaghe wanted and he got Hopkins to gas out resulting in Calzagh eventually getting the decision because of his adjustments in stark contrast to Pacquiao who looked the same in round 1 as he did in round 12.
Arcane is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2011, 05:15 AM   #2
GDG
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pacquiao's ring IQ?

In this fight it was dreadful. Same old uneffective head-hunting time after time, no body shots, totally unable to fight inside.

As a fighter should, Pac listens too his coach and I won't fault him for this.....so Roach has to take as much of the blame as Pac for not making any in-fight adjustments.
GDG is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
MarioBrothers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

very low, he couldn't even tell if he was really winning
MarioBrothers is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2011, 05:17 AM   #4
Thomas!!

vCash:

he needs to work the body more and learn to cut the ring off, he follows his man around and lunges in with long left hands
Old 11-15-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
Faerun
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1171

Completely negligible. He relies on speed, power and reflexes, not on ring smarts.
Faerun is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2011, 05:19 AM   #6
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2650

His ability to adjust is piss poor, probably his biggest weakness.

Using Calzaghe as an example of how to adjust is spot on, he did it against Kessler too.
BoxingFanNo1 is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2011, 05:22 AM   #7
Goro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Calzaghe arguably lost to Robin Reid, but he beat Hopkins and Kessler handily.

Katsidis landed more punches on Marquez than Pacquiao did, does that make him better or more intelligent than Pacquiao? No.

Diaz was arguably winning up till the KO vs. Marquez and Pacquiao would absolutely destroy Diaz. Styles make fights.

Last edited by Goro; 11-15-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Goro is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2011, 05:23 AM   #8
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

It was proper disappointing. I could forgive him slightly in the Mosley fight, because Mosley was clearly running for his life. But JMM wasn't. He was taking subtle steps back and circling, whilst still being there to fight. I was screaming at Pac to just move to his right and back JMM up effectively (towards the ropes, maybe) before launching an attack. I mean, even Katsidis and ****ing Diaz managed to do this! How many times are you gonna’ swing a 3-punch combination at thin air, to realize it’s not working?
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2011, 05:26 AM   #9
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDG View Post
In this fight it was dreadful. Same old uneffective head-hunting time after time, no body shots, totally unable to fight inside.

As a fighter should, Pac listens too his coach and I won't fault him for this.....so Roach has to take as much of the blame as Pac for not making any in-fight adjustments.
To be fair, Roach was urging him to step to his right to neautrilize JMM's movement. But I do agree, though. His inability to cut off the ring has been obvious for a while. Why, after all the years they've spent together in the gym, this hasn't been rectified, I do not know.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2011, 05:28 AM   #10
sunnn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
What does everyone think of it at this stage? I never thought he was an overly smart fighter when it came to ring IQ but the last two fights have proven he has major problems making adjustments that or he simply doesn't know how to. Against both Mosley and Marquez he was completely befuddled, subtle feet movements seemed to confuse him to the point he was throwing 3 punch combos at thin air and considering he was fighting an older slower fighter he should have cut off the ring and forced the pace better.

For example when you look at the fight between Hopkins and Calzaghe; Hopkins was using his ring smarts moving and counter punching which caused problems for Joe early on but after about round 5/6 Calzaghe made the adjustments needed and managed to push Hopkins into the deep water by forcing him to fight the fight Calzaghe wanted and he got Hopkins to gas out resulting in Calzagh eventually getting the decision because of his adjustments in stark contrast to Pacquiao who looked the same in round 1 as he did in round 12.
except that hopkins was right there in calz face. look how far marquez and mosley where. they wanted pac to cover so much ground, prolly to tire him chasing them.

if pac didnt chase, there is no ****ing fight. you cant do that at the highest level. pac did everything he could to have a meaningful fight, his legs just couldnt do more.
sunnn is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #11
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2650

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnn View Post
except that hopkins was right there in calz face. look how far marquez and mosley where. they wanted pac to cover so much ground, prolly to tire him chasing them.

if pac didnt chase, there is no ****ing fight. you cant do that at the highest level. pac did everything he could to have a meaningful fight, his legs just couldnt do more.
If your opponent is running then you find a more efficient way to cut off the ring or stand your ground!!

You said if he didn't do it there's no fight, Mayweather did it and still had a fight so why not Pac???

Ability - to - adjust.

Last edited by BoxingFanNo1; 11-15-2011 at 05:57 AM.
BoxingFanNo1 is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2011, 05:41 AM   #12
FORMIDABLE
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 275

He closed the fight out strong so he made some adustments and they worked. He's not the smartest fighter out there, his penchant for wanting to make every fight exciting doesn't allow him to be. He's no Zab Judah though. I hope he goes out there for Marquez IV and fights patiently looking for the right spots to try to land instead of forcing the action and hoping. He doesn't need to be exciting, Mayweather fight will sell itself after.
FORMIDABLE is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #13
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920

It was poor against Marquez, but we have to remember that Marquez is a very intelligent boxer also. Pacquiao up against the likes of Marquez, Mayweather, and other fast thinking boxers...I think he will always struggle, and look to his athleticism to pull him through. But his ring IQ is not as bad as people are saying, he has shown some improvement in this area over the last 3 years, particularly against Hatton and Cotto.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #14
Arcane
One More Time
East Side Guru

vCash: 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
To be fair, Roach was urging him to step to his right to neautrilize JMM's movement. But I do agree, though. His inability to cut off the ring has been obvious for a while. Why, after all the years they've spent together in the gym, this hasn't been rectified, I do not know.
With all the success these last couple of years they've probably became complacent when it comes to learning new things.
Arcane is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2011, 07:36 AM   #15
leone25
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Marquez is just too smart for him thas why he looked like an amateur
leone25 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum