Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Alan Minter vs. Tony Ayala

I'd love insights. I lean toward Tony, but I believe Minter has a slugger's chance, too......
laxpdx is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Alan Minter vs. Tony Ayala

Minter seems largely underappreciated and rated. At his best his was very good. His upright stance was probably a major downfall especially against the elite. He had a very nice jab, and his unorthodox style troubled many people. Ayala was a troubled man, but outside of his fearsome reputation I don't see a notable victory in his resume, that shows why he would not have trouble with this fight. I look for minter to controll the action in this fight and outside of him getting cut up, look for him to win a decision in this bout. Tony gets no chance to spit on anyone here!
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69
Minter seems largely underappreciated and rated. At his best his was very good. His upright stance was probably a major downfall especially against the elite. He had a very nice jab, and his unorthodox style troubled many people. Ayala was a troubled man, but outside of his fearsome reputation I don't see a notable victory in his resume, that shows why he would not have trouble with this fight. I look for minter to controll the action in this fight and outside of him getting cut up, look for him to win a decision in this bout. Tony gets no chance to spit on anyone here!
I guess I should add, that Ayala fought at jr. middle, prior to prision....and became a MW afterwards...this version of tony would not stand a chance nor would the 8 lbs lighter earlier version. IMHO
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxpdx
I'd love insights. I lean toward Tony, but I believe Minter has a slugger's chance, too......
minter was a boxer, not a slugger
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
littleguy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I watched Minter most of his career. He started as a slugger but changed after he won the British title from Finnegan. However, when Minter got into trouble he would revert back to the old slugger.

Minter would have stopped Ayala. Ayala was a junior middleweight, and he was still learning when he was sent away. Minter was a full-sized middleweight, as hard as they come, and he could punch with the left hand. He made Gratien Tonna quit in their second fight, and Angelo Jacopucci (God rest his soul) died as a result of Minter's punches.
littleguy is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

well said little guy. you really know what you're talking about.

i didn't know Minter was so lethal with his fists but I have seen the times he goes into a frenzy.

he didn't look like much on film and I swear that Tony would crucify him in the ring but i might be underrating him. he did stop vito where Hagler couldn't.
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 301

Minter was an adequate boxer, who got lucky against a fairly weak champion.

I suppose like Ayala, he is not the nicest person (a hopeless alchoholic now), with a lack of class, that caught up with him big time with he pissed off the Marvelous one over one ounce and comming out with a horrible racist remark to boot.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
bumdujour
Contender
ESB Senior Member

what a fight!! a racist vs a rapist...........it dont get much better than that.

i pick minter to beat him by ud, but with minter getting cut so often, cant be sure.
bumdujour is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 05:49 PM   #9
littleguy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

First time I ever heard Antuefermo called fairly weak. He was undisputed middleweight champ back when that division meant something, when title fights were 15 rounds, you weighed in 1 hour before the fight, and gloves were 8 oz. Plus, he stood in Hagler's face for 15 rounds and made Hagler back off.

As for Minter, he did what Hagler couldn't do at the time. He outpointed Antuefermo the first fight and stopped him the next time. Luck didn't enter into it.

Yeah, Minter made a stupid remark before the Hagler fight, but he was never known as a racist. A lot of his fans were a bunch of thugs, but Minter had black sparring partners and there was never a suggestion of rascism that I remember.

I don't know anything about Minter's drinking habits. He had some problems after he retired but he does charity work and is on the dinner club/speaking circuit with a lot of other sports personalities. Comparing him to a multiple rapist like Ayala is wrong.
littleguy is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 06:16 PM   #10
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Ayala's best weapon was his hook downstairs, with his target pinned against the ropes. Minter's jab and physical strength would be too much to allow Tony to advance. The only question concerns whether or not Alan would take Ayala out, but my guess here is that Tony manages to last the limit, although badly beaten up.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 06:40 PM   #11
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleguy
First time I ever heard Antuefermo called fairly weak. He was undisputed middleweight champ back when that division meant something, when title fights were 15 rounds, you weighed in 1 hour before the fight, and gloves were 8 oz. Plus, he stood in Hagler's face for 15 rounds and made Hagler back off.

As for Minter, he did what Hagler couldn't do at the time. He outpointed Antuefermo the first fight and stopped him the next time. Luck didn't enter into it.

Yeah, Minter made a stupid remark before the Hagler fight, but he was never known as a racist. A lot of his fans were a bunch of thugs, but Minter had black sparring partners and there was never a suggestion of rascism that I remember.

I don't know anything about Minter's drinking habits. He had some problems after he retired but he does charity work and is on the dinner club/speaking circuit with a lot of other sports personalities. Comparing him to a multiple rapist like Ayala is wrong.
I went to the Hagler fight, (I was only six years old) and yet I know that Minter had friends that were in the then National Front and that Minter was comfortable with that. Even at the age I could sense the poison in the air, to the point my old man took me out of the arena at the end of the first, how Hagler got out alive that night, I do not know. Minter had a lot to do with that.

I have lived in Crawley (Minters home town) for 27 years (sadly), he fell apart in the early 80s and his drunkness became more legendary than anything he achieved in the ring.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2007, 08:04 AM   #12
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Barring Cuts, the old Minter Bug-Bear, Minter would Probably Box Alaya into a frustrated Mess, Before Planting himself to land Harder Counters ans Perhaps Stop Alaya, Minter Hit Very Stiffly, was Mobile, and had a good chin, Roughhouse Merchants like Antefermo and Hamsho couldnt blast Minter out, in fact Minter badly shook up iron chinned Hamsho with a Shot, Tonna cut Minter out of it, but in the return Minter Broke Tonna's Heart with his Forceful boxing making him quit, Minters Assets combine to produce the wrong type of opponent for Alaya at Middleweight, Someoine he has to chase, but will counter him, and if he stands off Minter starts the landing the Heavier Shoots, Ray Mancini was not the only "Boom - Boom"
AREA 53 is online now  Top
Old 10-02-2007, 08:49 AM   #13
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

it should also be noted that minter completely broke antuerfermo up in the 2nd fight he had vito all over the place.i thought he was unlucky against hamsho losing on a split,he hurt hamsho bad in i think the 5th round.he was a tough sob who made the mistake of getting carried away and going toe to toe with hagler although if you watch the fight he had his succeses but was outgunned.overall a good and underrated boxer fighter who like many others tends to be forgotten by being champ in between two atg's
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Minter would stop Ayala in five rounds, too much experience and skill for El Torito to handle.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

minter would box but if caught he could be pulled into a punch up either way for me he beats ayala and minter 9 times out of 10 finishes strong this for me could well mean a late stoppage win for BOOM BOOM
Mr Butt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum