Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who's the most overrated by the general public?
Steve Cunningham, "dominating no1 CW today" 2 1.36%
Chad Dawson, "top elite fighter, made Hopkins quit" 16 10.88%
Andre Ward, US media hype, premature P4P ranking 19 12.93%
Dmitry Pirog, "the Man after Sergio", he's a mere paperholder, barely escaped C-level Maciel 11 7.48%
Manny Pacquiao "improved P4P king" 62 42.18%
Amir Khan "man at LWW, would dominate Bradley" (emotional choice) 8 5.44%
Robert Guerrero "soon P4P-er elite" off Katsidis win, Yordan, Salido struggles ignored 1 0.68%
Yuriorkis Gamboa "(soon) P4P-er KO machine", still flawed, yet to fight true elite 2 1.36%
Nonito Donaire - "uncrowned SBW, FW, SFW champion" come on! 6 4.08%
Other - name the fighter you think that's not as good or accomplished as general public thinks 20 13.61%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #31
Cafe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 277
Default Re: Most overrated fighter by the general boxing public today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
I would have gone with Bute.
How is Bute overrated by general public? He is only really overrated by hardcore Bute fans who put him above Froch or Ward, most other people hate him or put him #3 in SMW below Froch or Ward where he should be imo.
Cafe is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #32
KO KIDD
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 835

I voted Manny

now this doesnt mean he isnt a great fighter

but i think some posters and writers really put him on a pedestal that he really wasnt at yet and ppl were getting very carried away with him

i think hes great but not as great as a lot of ppl

Cunningham is elite to me beat 2 of the other titlists and was coming back vs YPH

Dawson is definitely elite and i think he was gonna beat Hopkins anyway

Ward is a funny case he only has one really great win, but i think he will beat Froch but i see Bute more than capable of winning

Pirog i really like but his best win is Jacobs and thats nothing to really shout home about, but he shows ability to be good and would be tough for Martinez and Sturm

Khan not overrated

Guerrero not sure he weight jumpin around not getting titles or staying in one place but he is talented

Gamboa didnt impress me vs PDL he also seems flawed and possibly predictable he comes straight in hands down chin up eventually some one will time him coming in

Donaire seems alright in my book though he lost some momentum after Darchynian but regained it vs Sidorenko and Montiel

Donaire and Martinez fall into the same category 2 guys who started scoring KO's and got carried away with their own power
KO KIDD is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #33
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper11 View Post
true. He's too small for both and he's too lazy on defense to beat them at his size
Although I do sort of agree that is the exact thing everyone was saying about pac against dlh, cotto etc
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #34
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1419

Well over here Tyson Fury is picking up general hype steam faster than he can punch himself in the face
chatty is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #35
BigBone
It was man, it ****in was
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatTheMan View Post
Williams was never any good to begin with and Pavlik's alcohol problems is weell known. Barker is a clubfighter. Dzinziruk is a good win, but not enough to take him to the top 5 p4p IMO.

You might disagree and it's all good. It's strictly my take.
And I respect that. I'd only add that Williams earned a P4P position (just not top3) by beating Margo then completely dismantling the Winky who was P4P#2 in his LHW Hopkins fight - if JMM didn't lose his position in his jump-up fight vs. Floyd, neither Winky's close loss at 170 should've been a serious knock on his career. People somehow forget that Williams absolutely dominated Wright who never lost more than 7 rounds in a fight, the LHW trip included. - Vs. Pdub, he lost all 12. Williams entered the 1st Sergio fight as a very tall, very awkward, very busy fighter who's extremely difficult to beat without the "weight problems". He was also the guy who moved Martinez up because he was supposed to fight Pavlik who bitched out. And most thought ***y Sergio won the 1st fight as well...
BigBone is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #36
tito44
Belt holder
ESB Addict

" SOG" american bias
tito44 is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #37
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Easily, its Amir Khan.
Slacker is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #38
elTerrible
TeamElite General Manager
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBone View Post
Martinez is an interesting choice considering he's being criticized for the Barker performance and for "fighting smaller guys". Still, his run of Cintron, Williams x 2, Pavlik, Dzinziruk and Barker is very strong, but clearly not P4P#1 strong, not that anyone puts him there. Is he really being overrated by the general public?

He might be by casual fans, especially in terms of legacy. I mean he is still one of the best fighters today but he is no atg by any stretch of the imagination and I think a lot of people see him that way. You can look amazing in the right style match ups.
elTerrible is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #39
sdsfinest22
Pound 4 Pound
East Side VIP

Pac is way overhyped-I dont know about overrated because alot of boxers, olympians and pros," don't put him on that level...

Only pactards and some of the casual fans do (though not as many casual fans put him there since last saturday night).
sdsfinest22 is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #40
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 887

Manny Pacquiao
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #41
Escopeta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

void mayweather
Escopeta is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #42
PR BOXING
Belt holder
ESB Addict

why isn't Canelo in the options?
PR BOXING is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #43
str1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatTheMan View Post
The point is his general status as a top p4p'er. Beating Williams, who was vastly overrated himself IMO, just doesn't cut it.

When Martinez beat Williams, Williams was considered a dangerous opponent for anyone at that time. Then you have the win Martinez got from Pavlik and Dzinzurik. Martinez didn't look that good against Barker but IMO it had to do more with Barker style of boxing than anything else, after all styles make fights. Then you have the haters who will bring up excuses and say things like; Williams was nothing, Pavlik was drunk, Dzinzurik who? Barker was nothing, etc. etc. but that always happens with any boxer. In my point of view Martinez wasn't suppose to be where he is today because he was suppose to lose to Cintron, Williams and Pavlik just like Maidana was suppose to lose against Oritz.

But to answer the question of the OP, I would say Pirog gets overhyped alot in this forum. Pirog hasn't beat anyone of name yet and he is seen as a god. Not saying he isn't good but hasn't fought anyone good yet. Also Brando Rios gets alot of praises on this forum. Rios is a good slugger but I think once he fights a boxer his hype train will fall.

I wanted to mention Canelo but he gets critic alot already. I will wait after the Cintron fight instead.
str1 is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #44
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

I'd like to see Ward and Bute under heavy fire to see what they're really made of.Somewhat unproven in my opinion but I concede they are talented.Gamboa has had very little exposure in the UK but at times I've read he's a top 5 or 6 P4P'r so I can only go by what little I've seen on YT,likewise Donaire and they don't excite me in the way I expected them to.We get told here by Sky(who I know have a vested interest) that Khan is big news in America but on ESB he seems none too popular in the States.And I have to say Tim Bradley is looking more and more overrated all the time.A good,thought provoking thread.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #45
Manfred
Belt holder
ESB Addict

My top three:

1. Pacquaio, so over rated it borders on criminal behavior.

2. Martinez, aint got a p4p bone in his body.

3. Froch, just aint shit.
Manfred is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum